Onion Bread (a Bread Machine recipe)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Onion 1.5 lb (680 g) Loaf (Bread Machine)

1 cup (237 ml) water
1-1/8 tsp (5.5 ml) salt
1 Tbsp (15 ml) sugar
2 Tbsp (30 ml) butter or vegetable oil
2 Tbsp (30 ml) dried minced onion
3-1/2 cups (828 ml) bread flour
2 tsp (10 ml) bread machine yeast

My notes:
I do not care for it baked in the machine. For my machine (Hamilton Beach) I take it out at 60 - 65 minutes. Shape for what ever I want. Used to be 2 small loaves but just now have done the Pullman and 5 buns.
As mentioned will do only 4 buns next time and leave a bit more than a 1 lb of dough for the Pullman.
When I take it out and shape it I let it rise for about 20 minutes in the pans, then turn on and preheat the oven to 370 F. After another 20 minutes that final rise is done and I pop them in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

There is also a 2 lb. (907 g) loaf but I didn't really care for it! Don't know why, it just wasn't the same somehow. If you want the quantities I'll be happy to send them on.
I still use Bread Machine Yeast even though I don't bake them in there. I have used regular yeast and it's fine - but find the Bread Machine Yeast gives a much better lift.

I also use regular All-purpose flour. I bake too much bread just to buy the more expensive "bread" flour.

And today when I sliced some of the bread it was still super soft - so again, thank goodness for the bread slicing guide I have!

Actually I too have a bit of a problem with the onion family. Usually only if raw and uncooked, cooked are fine.

So everything, scallions included, must be cooked. I still put scallions in cold salads (eg egg or tuna) but I will suffer for it. So if the salad is just for me, I put none or absolute minimum.

My mother made tuna salad with Breast O' Chicken tuna and Miracle Whip (never mayonnaise) and that was it. I never knew to put anything else in it to make it a true salad for many years. Now I will add chopped carrot and celery to make it a bit crunchy, and jalopy peppers to so it will bite me back.

Add any of the following as well... capers - olives (black or green) - dill pickle - sweet relish - mustard - almost anything you find in the fridge.

Yeah, like the carrot idea, I don't often think of them, thanks! Yup, do the celery and jalapeno or hot pickled peppers/pepperoncino...

open jars litter the counter top when I make a salad like that! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom