"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 10-05-2004, 04:01 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Gulp....I went to the Source. Mastering the Art of French Cooking, by the immortal Julia. I will attempt the chocolate souffle - that way if it turns out lousy the kids will eat it anyway Saturday night.

Now, what am I gonna eat while I drink the red wine and watch the debate tonight?

p.s. Audeo, can't wait to hear how the BP souffle turns out. I love bread pudding, always have, but the people I live with won't hear of it. What is WRONG with them??!!

Old 10-07-2004, 08:49 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I did mine last night and it came out the best that it ever has. It rose nicely above the ramekins, had a beautiful exterior color and the inside was done just right. I attribute this to the three considerations I mentioned in an earlier post.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:52 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Congrats on reaching the finish line first, Otter, with rewarding results! I am going to re-read Julia's instructions again today before I do anything. Likely won't begin mine until Sunday.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:06 AM   #14
Head Chef

Well, after significant delays, I'm finally on the road to completing my entry here today. I made bread pudding yesterday, which turned out fantastic (gosh, I love that stuff!). Then I left for the airport to pick up Wonderful Husband. When we returned an hour later, youngest son and four pals had discovered the bread pudding and were enjoying themselves immensely!

With all gratitude to the Fates, I had made a large batch (13x9 dish) and half of it remains. That will be plenty to make the souffle later today. At this moment, the bread pudding rests safely within a tupperware container hidden in a vegetable crisper beneath a package of portabella mushrooms and behind a bag of fresh green beans......
Old 10-10-2004, 01:08 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Unfortunately, my souffle is still in the cookbook as a recipe. Worked late last night and came home to the still-going-on slumber party with about a dozen girls. Now it's Sunday afternoon and three of them Still Have Not Left.

I need no distractions once I start, so I am waiting until I have the house to myself again. Husband cannot monitor girls because he is out at a gun show as his reward for playing chaperone for the party.

Audeo, wish your sons were my kids. Nobody here likes bread pudding except me!
Old 10-11-2004, 06:39 AM   #16
Head Chef

Well...finally....

I can now report completion with surprisingly good results. After hiding the remaining bread pudding from the family, I finished making the souffle for early dinner's dessert last night. The greatest reason for my success I attribute to Yakuta's post wherein she said to approach souffles with its science, and not as a cooking recipe that can be altered. Hmmm...made me think. So I followed the recipe almost to a tee. My deviation was in the egg whites (I used 7 jumbo egg whites, instead of the 9 medium egg whites called for in the recipe) and I'm certain that I ended up with more meringue than originally designed...a happy accident I feel in light of the weight of my bread pudding. Anyway, the end result was a successful souffle (no collapse this time!) that was sincerely delicious in flavor...definately "bread pudding", but light as air. The recipe, which I will post below if anyone is interested, is definately one you will not want to do in a rush, but I recommend it to Mudbug, sans family, and others who enjoy bread pudding. Would I make it again? Perhaps, due to no fault of the recipe, but I just dearly love bread pudding cooked with about a 3" thick meringue on top and served with a bourbon sauce. In the future, I think I will take a spin at chocolate souffle, cheese souffle, etc. and leave bread pudding alone. But it was really good.....

KitchenElf will be pleased that I found a link to the recipe online, instead of retyping that which is found in my cookbook. Both are identical:

http://www.commanderspalace.com/new_.../recipes_1.php

PS: Mudbug, right now, I'm unwilling to relinquish the boys. However, check back on Thursday: If I don't have some volunteers post haste to help me cut down a fallen willow in the back yard, they'll be up for sale
REAL cheap! You'll rarely have a leftover-cluttered fridge again!
Old 10-11-2004, 07:29 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Congrats, Audeo. I have to agree with you that success with souffles requires strict attention to detail. I'm also going to try chocolate and cheese in the future.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:43 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Mudbug, haven't heard from you. I heard a rumor yours didn't come out so well, you fed it to the dog, and you had to take him to the vet. :roll:
Old 10-11-2004, 07:44 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

nyuk nyuk nyuk, Otter. Watch out, or I'll name a fragrance after you!

Have to confess that I spent my free time today shilly shallying around on this board instead of making a souffle. I'm gonna get to it - probably next weekend now. I have to work for the next four days in a row. Talk about yer hardship....
Old 10-11-2004, 08:30 PM   #20
Hospitality Queen

Audeo & mudbug -
I'm right there with you on the bread pudding. I'm the only one who likes it! Ack!
did either of you ever see my posting on Banana Bread Pudding? It's fabulous with vanilla creme sauce on top!

Tags
None