Caramel Cheesecake Bars- TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
1 1/2C crushed vanilla wafers
1C chopped pecans, divided
1/4C butter, melted
4 pkgs(8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
1C sugar
1C sour cream
3Tbsp flour
1Tbsp vanilla
4 eggs
1/4C caramel ice cream topping

Preheat oven to 325. Line a 13x9 baking pan with foil, leaving 3 inches of foil extending over short sides of pan. Make handles by crunching up extended foil. Grease prepared pan. Combine wafer crumbs, 1/2C pecans, & butter. Press firmly onto bottom of pan. Refrigerate until needed.

Beat cream cheese & sugar with electric mixer on medium speed in a large bowl until well blended. Add sour cream flour, & vanilla, mix well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended. Pour over cold crust.

Bake 45 min. or until center is almost set. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Lift out of pan onto cutting board, using foil handles. Drizzle with caramel topping & remaining 1/2C pecans. Cut into 32 bars, store in refrigerator.

Looks scrumptious Crews! I can almost smell them baking. Ummmm, failing the vanilla wafers what do you suggest as a decent substitute? :)

I was hoping you'd post this recipe! It's another one that DH would go nuts over. He wants to loose 10 more pounds before the baby is born, though, so it may have to wait 'till Christmas.

Oh my. I am drooling. Unfortunately I would have to omit pecans if my youngest were to eat these. Thanks crewsk.

crewsk said:
I'd say grahram crackers if you don't have or can't get vanilla wafers. I could sit & eat these all day!
Thanks Crews, lol, funny thing is (if I sound like a broken record here and people are getting the urge to hit me with a cast-iron frying pan, I apologize) neither vanilla wafers or graham crackers are to be found in Ireland, so when it comes to cheesecake crusts I use "digestive biscuits" (cookies). I think I'll try it with those, orrrrrrr do you think that shortbread cookies would work? (Or would they maybe burn too easily?)

No need to apologize at all! Since the oven temp is fairly low & the baking time not really that long, I think shortbread would be fine. What are "digestive biscuits"? You kinda lost me on that one.:ermm:

Hi crews, thanks...now that I have your nod for shortbread I'll have to make them that way!

Digestive biscuits are what I've seen as "tea biscuits" in Canada - a bland sort of dry cookie that looks a bit like an arrowroot baby cookie, but does not contain arrowroot. Quite popular on this end, lol, but I prefer the digestive biscuits with chocolate on them (or sometimes we spread Nutella on them instead) :)

Thank you !!

crewsk said:
1/4C caramel ice cream topping

I just love the way this recipe sounds! I was looking for something special for tonight's meal, this is it!

Now is there any way to make the caramel ice cream topping you recommend? all the stores are closed today, as it's our holiday Monday here.

Thanks!

IGA would be open Jocelyne, is there one near you? Otherwise, if you have a can of Eagle Brand condensed milk you can set it in a pan (double boiler is better) and let it bubble away until it is golden. That is how I make caramel topping. Its great!

Thanks Alix! :) I was racking my brain for an answer. The only thing I could come up with was to make caramel for the topping. Here's one I have used a couple of times.

Caramel Topping

3/4C packed brown sugar

6Tbsp. Butter

2Tbsp. Milk

Mix in microwave safe bowl & microwave on high, uncovered, 3-4 minutes, stirring often.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies!

Both your suggestions sound great, my mother used to make caramel the Eagle Brand way but I have always been afraid to try it... I may try it today! However I can do the other sauce too in case my group does not like the caramel.

Mmmm...I saw these caramel cheesecake bars on my Kraft seasonal cookbook I get in the mail. I did make them then tried to make the caramel sauce with brown sugar, flour, vanilla and water...LOL...what a mess it was, and yucky too!!! I'll go with sweetened condensed milk or brown sugar and heavy cream next time. Any other great recipes for caramel sauce?

Dina

ICadvisor said:
Thanks Crews, lol, funny thing is (if I sound like a broken record here and people are getting the urge to hit me with a cast-iron frying pan, I apologize) neither vanilla wafers or graham crackers are to be found in Ireland, so when it comes to cheesecake crusts I use "digestive biscuits" (cookies). I think I'll try it with those, orrrrrrr do you think that shortbread cookies would work? (Or would they maybe burn too easily?)

Your cookies are on the way. Should be there in a short time.!! :):):)

Back
Top Bottom