"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #31
Cook

I was reading this and kept hearing about Cake-y and Fudge-y and wondering which are closer to the ones I prefer. And actually, it is neither.

I have had many Brownies that left me totally cold, even though they had a nice flavor. I think it is the texture that is the most critical factor for me, and the one that most fail out on.

I want mine kind of tough and chewy on the outside and still ever so slightly moist in the middle. If anyone knows exactly what that is or a great recipe for it I would love to know.

I know I despise the ones that are very fluffly and cake-like, and I lean more towards the fudge ones, but most of them are just soft and fudgy and not chewy at all, so that one is not right either, though it is closer. Thanks for any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
There are at least three types of brownies. You left out my favorite: chewy ones.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Chocolate Cherry Brownies !

( Insert very loud "ooohing" & "aaahing" here. )

Recipe here:

cottage recipes 2008 July 20

Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #33
Cook

Thank You, I will check them out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
Chocolate Cherry Brownies !

( Insert very loud "ooohing" & "aaahing" here. )

Recipe here:

cottage recipes 2008 July 20

Old 02-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #34
Cook

Where is the ATK Brownie Recipe?? I tried to find it and couldnt. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownByTheRiverSide View Post
Where is the ATK Brownie Recipe?? I tried to find it and couldnt. Thanks.
America's Test Kitchen does not GIVE anything away...you'll have to pay for that one at their website.....sorry, it sucks, but ATK is that way..
Old 02-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #36
Cook

Oh, My !!!! Well, they Over-Estimate their Importance ... at least to me !!! I dont PAY for Recipes, either, unless they are hard-bound (Books).

No big deal .... there probably wasnt more than a 25% chance it would have been to my liking anyway. And I already have several that are quite acceptable.

Thanks for the info, nonetheless. At least now I know.

Besides which, I bet some kind soul on this site or another one who has already paid for it will give it to me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
America's Test Kitchen does not GIVE anything away...you'll have to pay for that one at their website.....sorry, it sucks, but ATK is that way..
Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

In my husbands chocolate LOVIN' opinion Ghiradelli's brownie recipe on the sweet cocoa can is the best. I believe the name is double chocolate brownie because they also have choco. chips in them.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #38
Cook

Would you say they fall into the Cake-y, Fudge-y, or Chewy Category ??

I am a chewy kinda guy myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natnician View Post
In my husbands chocolate LOVIN' opinion Ghiradelli's brownie recipe on the sweet cocoa can is the best. I believe the name is double chocolate brownie because they also have choco. chips in them.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownByTheRiverSide View Post
I was reading this and kept hearing about Cake-y and Fudge-y and wondering which are closer to the ones I prefer. And actually, it is neither.

I have had many Brownies that left me totally cold, even though they had a nice flavor. I think it is the texture that is the most critical factor for me, and the one that most fail out on.

I want mine kind of tough and chewy on the outside and still ever so slightly moist in the middle. If anyone knows exactly what that is or a great recipe for it I would love to know.

I know I despise the ones that are very fluffly and cake-like, and I lean more towards the fudge ones, but most of them are just soft and fudgy and not chewy at all, so that one is not right either, though it is closer. Thanks for any help.
I posted about these earlier in this thread - they are outstanding, and I've made them many times. I bake them for less time than indicated, about 32 minutes.
Chewy Brownies - Fine Cooking
Old 02-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

In my experience they can be which ever you want

If you over mix....cake-y

If you under bake....fudge-y

I follow the recipe on the can, I believe it is 350 for 40 min in a 8x8. The top will look cooked perfectly but the middle will appear under cooked by the tooth pic test, but after they sit they are perfectly chewy brownies!

I have also bought Ghiradelli's box brownie (double chocolate) they seem to be identical, so if I don't feel like measuring..... also they are only $3!

Tags
None