Trying this puff recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LovelyLayla

Assistant Cook
from all recipes but mine didn't puff up at all. I did stray from the original recipe because other reviewers agreed adding 3 eggs all at once was better. can anyone help me out? does this recipe look alright?

almond bars
1 cup butter 3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup almond paste
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 ounces sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

1. Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk (reserve egg white), almond paste, and flavoring; beat until well blended. Stir in flour.
  2. Spread mixture in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan. Beat egg white (at room temperature) until foamy; brush over entire surface of dough, and sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool thoroughly, and cut into 2 inch squares. Store in airtight containers.

There is nothing to make it "puff". You either need to beat your eggs in, or you need some leavening to make it puff up.

I'll have to look at the recipe in All Recipes - the almond puffs recipes I have use a cream puff type dough, topped with an almond "filling" - only the cream puff dough puffs on that, and the almondy topping doesn't, but I don't see anything to make this "puff" at all. (The cream puff dough puffs from the eggs being beaten into the butter and flour over heat and then baked.)

Creaming the butter and sugar is supposed to give you the 'puff'. Maybe you didn't beat them together enough.

Back
Top Bottom