"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Aaaggh!! Agggh!!! My cutting board just died!!!

Well I just used Chin (my cleaver) to chop a chunk off a frozen chicken breast that I intend to use to make buffalo chicken and bleu cheese stuffed wontons. Why was I chopping frozen chicken? Well no point defrosting it if I am only using half, right?

I drew on some old martial arts classes and struck the chicken with a nice, well focused blow.

This is what happened (sorry for the poor lighting, my webcam sucks)

I guess Im making a trip to target tomorrow for a new cutting board.

(for its defense this one was very old and warped... the prev. owner had often left it in water so it was kinda dried out and disfigured)

Old 01-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
Executive Chef

You weren't cutting along the grain of the wood were you? With an axe like that you're lucky you didn't split the counter! :P

Old 01-06-2005, 08:17 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Truth is I didint go all the way through the chicken... I was trying to cleave in a little deep and break it up by hand. Only problem is that since the board was warped well it snapped in half. You could say that the sides touched the counter but the middle didint.

Im over the shock now... I should of thrown that thing away months ago.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
OUCH!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Sorry, man. I've been through a few cutting boards myself, wasn't trying to make fun! Seriously tho, that's a mean cleaver you have! :D
Old 01-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
Executive Chef

My cutting board is dying as well. I've got one good split developing, and a second one just started. I'm going to have to buy a new one here soon. I've been thinking about MAKING one, maple, edge-grain, probably an inch-and-a-half thick, and possibly drilling a hole in each end and fitting a dowel rod through all the pieces, then glueing it all together.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:50 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

give it a good viking funeral in your fireplace or grill, lugaru! it has served you well, send it off to valhalla!!!!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:20 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
give it a good viking funeral in your fireplace or grill, lugaru! it has served you well, send it off to valhalla!!!!
I actually thought about that but our fireplace is bricked up with tiles so I would have to do it outside... if our landlord caught us he would be like "oh, that's a slap in the face... burning trash outside my building!"

That's our running gag... to him every thing (dirty dishes, dust in the stairway, unchecked mail) is a slap in the face. He leaves my roomate phone messages complaning every time he visits to repair something.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:40 AM   #9
Senior Cook

When I have a piece of frozen meat I need to "downsize" for a menu item, I give it to my husband to take out to his workshop and cut to size with his band saw. Works great. I don't use wood cutting boards because I'm afraid of any residual bacteria. I use either plastic or marble. TGIF and have a nice weekend everyone.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:07 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
OH how sad!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just glad it was only your chopping board and not your counter too!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote