Anyone eat on 12-26-2016? Or is everyone else on diets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I don't know about you guys, but WE ate! :LOL: Every last bit of leftover is gone, in hopes that this time we'll be leaving the next day. We had a fine assortment of: ham, pork tenderloin (which ended up in the freezer, unneeded), green beans, Brussels sprouts casserole, broccoli, baby potatoes, couscous, cream biscuits. Sounds like a lot, but just bits of each. Just enough for two full tummies. :yum:

I found a bag of mussels in the freezer, so I made mussels meuniére. Served it with homemade no-knead bread (shaped like a baguette this time) and salad with greens from the garden. Yummy :yum:

Attachments

• 1482812664612.jpg
    1482812664612.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 1482812690084.jpg
    1482812690084.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 157
I pulled out some big brined loin pork chops from the freezer and seasoned them with Penzey's Arizona Dreaming, then pan fried till golden and made a simple pan sauce of reduced chick broth with GoyaMojo and some pats of butter. Durn tasty!
Steamed broccolini and Tater Tots finished the meal.

Last edited:
Repeat of yesterday: Stuffed mushrooms, garlic bread, Caesar salad, eye round roast, Yorkshire pudding, steamed baby spinach and burgundy gravy.

I found a bag of mussels in the freezer, so I made mussels meuniére. Served it with homemade no-knead bread (shaped like a baguette this time) and salad with greens from the garden. Yummy :yum:
Split chicken breasts in marinara in the pressure cooker, served over linguine, steamed broc on the side.

GG - your baguettes look good. How did you make them? Baguettes are on my list of things to try this winter, and instructions from Chef John, etc. call for spraying them with water during the baking process. Not as simple as using the dutch oven, but I'm interested in making them.

We had butternut squash gnocchi and green beans with garlic and stewed tomatoes. Used a different recipe for the gnocchi this time, it was about equal mixtures of squash and potato. The squash puree had been previously frozen and we let it defrost in a colander and then also heated it in a pan to remove any excess water. It was pretty much the consistency of the roasted potatoes, just a little heavier, by the time it was cooled. We could taste the butternut squash flavor much more in this recipe.

37240-albums1041-picture6785.jpg

GG, the baguette looks amazing. Is that from the NY Times no-knead recipe?

Split chicken breasts in marinara in the pressure cooker, served over linguine, steamed broc on the side.
My mom used to do that with leftover charcoal grilled split breasts. It was her version of a sort of cacciatore that even my Italian neighbors, purists the lot, tasted and loved. For lack of a better way to explain it, it's really chicken-y with the marinara as a true sauce, unlike a breaded piece of chicken.

GG - your baguettes look good. How did you make them? Baguettes are on my list of things to try this winter, and instructions from Chef John, etc. call for spraying them with water during the baking process. Not as simple as using the dutch oven, but I'm interested in making them.

Thanks! I'm using dough from a different no-knead method, from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day." It's the same dough I use to make a boule; I just shaped it like a baguette using a Benetton proofing basket.

http://artisanbreadinfive.com/2010/...ues-to-create-a-great-loaf-in-5-minutes-a-day

Attachments

• 1482844494391.jpg
    1482844494391.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
My family had leftovers (kielbasi, lasagna, cole slaw, Hawaiian rolls). I had a bit with them, but since I had to be in by 7, I only had a bite.

There are many days that I drag my butt to the table for dinner even when I just woke up and aren't hungry, well, not for a whole meal. But I find it important for us to share a meal each day, however small, because the love and communcation shared is the foundation upon which a family is built.

Anyway, I had a salad, cheesesteak, and potato chips at work.

A great big pot of sloppy joes with bakery buns. A pan of roasted garlic brussel sprouts. Left over chicken cordon bleu casserole.

Thanks! I'm using dough from a different no-knead method, from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day." It's the same dough I use to make a boule; I just shaped it like a baguette using a Benetton proofing basket.

http://artisanbreadinfive.com/2010/...ues-to-create-a-great-loaf-in-5-minutes-a-day

Also, the recipe I use does not call for baking the bread in a Dutch oven, although I have done that and it's very good. With this method, you heat the oven to 500F with a baking stone and a small oven-safe dish inside, then use a pizza peel to transfer the bread to the stone. Then add a cup of water to the oven-safe dish and bake till done. The water immediately steams, adding humidity to the oven, similar to baking the bread in a Dutch oven.

The reason I use this method is that the base recipe makes enough dough for four loaves of bread and it can sit in the fridge for up to two weeks. When I use the last pound of dough, I mix a new batch without washing the container first, and incorporate any dough clinging to the inside of the container. So the new batch gets a head start on flavor development. Kind of like a sourdough starter that requires less baby-sitting ;)

Last edited:
We are still eating left overs and no one in the family but me knows. Christmas meatballs with cream gravy and potatoes. Muahahhaahha, I am so evil, my husband get so tired of Christmas food, when he knows it is Christmas food.

We had leftovers - pizza for lunch; ham, potatoes, roasted veggies and onion tart for dinner; yule log with the last of the eggnog ice cream for a late dessert!

Now that's all gone (except for ham), it is back to the basics for me. No more splurging! ;)

Back
Top Bottom