"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-26-2006, 11:12 AM   #31
Senior Cook

chopstix

I think your menu sounds great. I too would much rather try a regional
breakfast from a wonderful cook which is sounds like you are that
could educate me about the regional food, expecially if I was thinking about moving to a new country. Understanding the regional food and what would be available in the markets for me to cook if and when I did move, would be
very important to me.

I do agree about the coffee I would not serve instant, if you only
want to serve tea I would think that would be fine. My husband
is a big coffee drinker I am not I prefer a cup of tea or just plan
water. But when we run out of coffee he will drink tea and be
fine with it.

Old 07-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Ishbel my breakfast did sound like Full english becuase it was!! I operate a Bed and breakfast on the Scottish Boarders.. I KNOW my breakfasts....

And Lyn I make porridge of plenty with raisins and cinnimon and because i have the canadian in me I dash of maple syrup :)

Old 07-26-2006, 01:11 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
Oh on a side note its perfectly acceptable here in england to serve instant coffee a lot of places do. I actually for my B&B serve it in a bodum.. which comes in handy for coffee and loose tea!! ((bodum aka cafetiere) it works great!

Tea bags-- PERFECTLY acceptable.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynan
Otherwise, something simple like an omelette as you mentioned but with local flavours, a grilled tomato would go well with that for a token Western item. Lots of gorgeous fresh squeezed exotic juices, some yogurt, maybe like mango or coconut
Great idea Lyn, I'll serve the omelette with mushrooms and Thai sweet basil instead. I should have thought of coconut juice! The coconut juice here in Thailand is distinctly sweet you'd think they secretly put sugar in it! The juice of toasted coconuts is even better, with a certain depth of flavor! I think good ol' OJ will have to sit this one out then ...
Old 07-26-2006, 03:53 PM   #35
Head Chef

Thanks to everyone for helping me tweak my menu! After all your wonderful comments, I myself am looking forward to the breakfast! :-) I'll try to report back on what happens!

Buying Starbucks in a thermos is a great idea. I probably would plan on doing that if we still had no coffeemaker. Right now we're leaning towards getting one in time for the breakfast. We do need it anyway for entertaining in general as I've always felt awkward about not being able to offer coffee to guests before. I guess we should just fix the problem once and for all. Now my only worry is that we'll turn into bona fide coffee drinkers ourselves -- shaky hands and all ...!
Old 07-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #36
Master Chef

I think they should accept that there is no coffee in the house... for me it would be no problem to have tea for breakfast, even if I'm a used coffee drinker
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:48 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix
Hi! I need menu advice from our American friends here for this American couple whom we've invited for breakfast at our home this Friday.

Thanks in advance!
I get the impression the original post is getting lost, ladies and gentlemen!

If I were the visitors, I'd just love to experience a real Thai Breakfast. Chopstix; you have obviously taken a lot of time and trouble thinking out how to please your guests. That is excellent.

However, I'd try to keep the menu "local" and the flavours gentle.

I love Thai food, but the first time I tried a Thai green curry paste,I realised I knew NOTHING! about green chilli peppers! I eat our local hot peppers raw, but yours are simply way above my heat level. So, the next time I tried the green curry paste... I cut the recommended "dose" by half. Fine for me, too hot for my wife, the kids loved it...

I'd be really delighted (as a foreign visitor) if you served me a traditional Thai breakfast - but try to tone down the hot peppers ( don't do that for me, i love 'em!) and tone down the really strong Thai flavours. They may not be very fond of fish sauce, perhaps, so instead of using your usual measure, use 1/4 .
Old 07-27-2006, 07:53 AM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

You have gotten a lot of advice on this thread where people have said that if they visited Thailand they would want a traditional Thai breakfast and would really look forward to that. Something that needs to be kept in mind though is that this is coming from a group of foodies. The people on this site get excited about trying foods they have never experienced and they have (for the most part) an open mind.

This is not necessarily true of the majority of Americans. A lot of them will not venture outside their comfort zone when it comes to food. I think it is a great idea that you are giving them the opportunity to try something new if they like, but you are also having certain foods that you know they are already familiar with in case they are not the adventurous type.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:34 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Very good point, GB. It surprised me when I went to Europe that some wanted to find American type food wherever we went. I wanted to eat things I may never get a chance to try again or certainly not as often. I ate my way through 5 countries and came back 8 pounds thinner with a safety pin holding my slacks taut in the waist. We were on the move from daylight to midnight.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:40 AM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
You have gotten a lot of advice on this thread where people have said that if they visited Thailand they would want a traditional Thai breakfast and would really look forward to that. Something that needs to be kept in mind though is that this is coming from a group of foodies. The people on this site get excited about trying foods they have never experienced and they have (for the most part) an open mind.

This is not necessarily true of the majority of Americans. A lot of them will not venture outside their comfort zone when it comes to food. I think it is a great idea that you are giving them the opportunity to try something new if they like, but you are also having certain foods that you know they are already familiar with in case they are not the adventurous type.
I had thought about that as well. I think it is a good idea to do not knowing the adventurousness (is that a word?) of the guests.