Chilli con Carne (Mexican -v- American)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
Okay, this is not a request for a recipe. I have been using the same recipe, which I think is American, for several decades and I am very happy with it! However, I made it last year for an American friend who has lived in Tucson, AZ for most of her life. And Tucson is very close to the Mexican border so Mexican food is very prevalent in Tucson. (The only change I have made to this recipe is to use smoked jalepenos as I just love the heat and smokiness.) Teresa said she liked it, but it's not like any Chilli she has had. Is this a very old-fashioned American version of chilli that nobody would now recognise? (I like how simple it is, and I like how it tastes, so I am not looking to change to a more complicated version by the way, but just interested in why Teresa found it so "different".) She is coming over again in 3 weeks, but I will be trying out a greek inspired recipe on her this time! LOL

Chilli con Carne.jpg

Honestly, there are major differing types of chili. Some people do not use ground beef, but will use select cuts of meat - including not beef. Others add tomatoes and some do not. Then there is the bean controversy - some think that "true chili has no beans." Cincinnati loves chili but I've had chocolate, cinnamon, and other spices in their chili that seemed odd to me. Also, you can order it over spaghetti, covered with cheese, onions, etc.

My parents were "mountain kids" who made chili much like your recipe. I loved it. When we moved north, my school had a chili dinner. The school's chili was much thinner and contained macaroni. My parents were flabbergasted over the "chili soup" as they called it. I continued to enjoy their chili but liked mine thicker than what the school made.

When I was working, we had a chili contest once a year. There were always 30 or 40 entries. Every chili was different. Some contained pumpkin, and some were vegan chili. I once made a white chicken chili. I thought it was scrumptious but was told that it really wasn't chili by the person who made the PUMPKIN chili. 🤣 I received "honorable mention" in the unusual category.

I'd ask your friend to send you a recipe to try!

Katy, now you've done it! You've started a discussion about chili! This is probably the single most divisive foodie issue in the country.

Is it Mexican or American?
Should it have tomato in it?
What kind of meat?
Beans or not?

Stand back and watch the fireworks!

The only thing that's really important is that you like the recipe you're using.

The only thing that's really important is that you like the recipe you're using.
Amen!

I don’t add tomatoes, sugar or thicken with flour.

Years ago there was a downtown lunch spot that added kidney beans to leftover spaghetti sauce that contained the remnants of mushrooms, meatballs and sausage.

It was very good and always sold out but IMO it wasn’t chili.

I use ground beef, tomato, onion, green pepper, a chili mix envelope, (I add extra chili powder, and cumin), and beans. No thickener.
I have experimented on different occasions by adding unsweetened cocoa powder, and peanut butter.
The cocoa powder chili was wonderful and tasted even better the next day.
The peanut butter chili had a rich flavor, but not enough to taste like peanut butter.

Last edited:
No flour or sugar in mine but not too different otherwise. My sister in Texas does stew beef chunks and no beans in hers. We both use onions and jalapeños.

My cousin's wife in Phoenix, AZ who is Mexican-American uses a variety of peppers including colored bell peppers and jalapeños, plus onion, stew beef, Mexican oregano and other spices, but no beans.

My mom always made it with ground meat, onion, tomato sauce, garlic and other spices, and beans.

In Louisiana and SE Texas I've had a Cajun style version a few times.

It's going to vary greatly from region to region in the US and elsewhere. Keep doing it your way if you like it!

Some of those odd ingredients, like chocolate and cinnamon, are sort of fusion dishes, using some of the ingredients out of mole sauces, and many are very good, though some get too powerful, IMO. I really don't want to have cinnamon as the first think I taste in chili, and that often happens, if cassia is used, instead of Mexican or Sri Lankan cinnamon is used.

I usually thicken my chili, whichever recipe I'm making, with masa hasina, as I love the flavor of that stuff! And I almost always eat it with some corn tortillas on the side, or some cornbread made with masa harina (something that was discussed recently in the baking thread).

BTW, if you make chili in a slow cooker, and use kidney beans in it, be sure to cook them separately. Kidney beans, especially, have a high lectin count, and some slow cookers temp doesn't really get hot enough to deactivate those. Even before slow cookers, people would sometimes get sick from them if just barely simmering the beans, and some old books warned to boil them vigorously for 30 minutes, before reducing to a simmer. With canned beans you don't have to worry about it, of course.

BTW, if you make chili in a slow cooker, and use kidney beans in it, be sure to cook them separately. Kidney beans, especially, have a high lectin count, and some slow cookers temp doesn't really get hot enough to deactivate those. Even before slow cookers, people would sometimes get sick from them if just barely simmering the beans, and some old books warned to boil them vigorously for 30 minutes, before reducing to a simmer. With canned beans you don't have to worry about it, of course.
That's great information, thank you!

Well, I am very glad to know that my version (which is from a cookery book that was "translated" from US to British), is not causing too much consternation. It seems to me that the basics are there, and every region puts their own "touch" to it. :heart:
I was also thinking if I had a visitor from the UK and tried to make them a Full English breakfast I might get a politely raised eyebrow, lol. It's bound to be not quite the same.

I’ve won several chili competitions …. Your recipe seems really bland and way too heavy on tomatoes. Try upping the spices and salt, adding unsweetened chocolate, garlic powder and omitting the sugar and flour. Also cut way down on the tomatoes, or omit them. Use some beer for liquid. If you need to thicken add some masa or whirl tortilla chips in a food processor and cook them in.

also you need a spicy element, think jalapeños

Beer is something I used to put in chili frequently, when I used to have "leftover" beer from kegs at parties. I didn't drink much of the beer, but I'd keep that to cook with! :LOL: My sister got me to enter the chili (and a bunch of other things) at a state fair, I think in '86, and it was more for her than me, as I would be at work, and she would take the dishes in, and watch the tastings, and accept my prizes for me. The chili was one made with whole Mexican/Numex chiles, and just a little tomato paste, whole chunks of beef, and no beans - not things people around here did back then, so I wasn't sure what I would be up against as far as the "tasters", but they definitely liked my chili! When I would win these things it would thrill my sister (and Mom) more than me, and she would look me up on my route, and give me the news.

Hmmmm....Chili Colorado, Chili Verde, Chili Con Carne...
Uh, people in the American Southwest speak Spanish, quirte a few of them fluently. Even the streets have Spanish names, so if you're not at least familiar with the language, you'll never find your way home! So, hasta la bye-bye and via con huevos.

Well, I thought Chili was from Chile.
Off topic funny:

We were having dinner with some friends several years ago and before we went over, hubby asked the husband of the couple over the phone what we were having. Hubby came back to the bedroom and told me, "Mark says we are having chili and seabass." I was like, "What?" He repeated it, and we both just looked at each other and shook our heads.

When we got there for dinner, there was no chili, but there were some great-looking marinated slabs of white fish going on the grill and a nice salad, plus other things I can't remember but I am sure it was good because they are excellent cooks. Any-hoo, my husband asked, "Where' the chili?" Mark and Dani thought that he was joking around and laughed, and my husband said, "No really, you said we were having chili and seabass." When Mark stopped laughing and could talk again, he said, "No, doofus. Chilean seabass."

And it turns out that Chilean seabass is not from Chile, nor is it a seabass. It's actually really named "Patagonian toothfish" but for marketing purposes, that's not an attractive name, so...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom