"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-07-2006, 12:15 AM   #21
Contest Winner

Are you from Calgary? I am! I love The Stampede. I cant say I've ever eaten prarie oysters (bull testicles) or cow tongue before though... don't really want to either! Yuck. I dont eat red meat/pork/chicken though anyway, but even if I did there is no way I'd eat a tongue. Ew.

When I go The Stampede I prefer to stick with the normal fair food. Mini-doughnuts and salt water taffy - yummmm! Good thing the Stampede is only once a year because I eat so much junk whenever I go.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:09 AM   #22
Master Chef

While I've never tried "Mountain Oysters", or whatever you wish to call them, nor have any desire to, Beef Tongue is certainly a blast from the past & was defiitely something my parents used to make all the time. It's probably been almost 30 years since I've had it. If I remember correctly, my parents used to make & serve it pretty much the same way as one would do a corned beef.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

I tried tongue once and hated it. I was not told what it was until after I tried it so that did not come into play as to why I did not like it. I was probably 7 or 8 when I tried it, but I can still taste it when I think about it. It sort of reminded me of liver which I do not like either.

I have never tried Rocky Mountain Oysters and don't think I would be able to try them if I knew ahead of time what they were. I like to think I am open to new food experiences, but that one would be a little hard for me.

OK here is a joke I heard years ago...

A guy was vacationing in Spain and went to a bullfight. After the fight he went for dinner at a restaurant that all the bullfighters go to. He sees the waiter bring out a dish and serve it to the person sitting next to him. It looks like two very large meatballs. The man asks the waiter what it is. Well after the bullfight when the bull loses the bulls balls are cut off and we serve them in the restaurant. The man is very interested and decided to come back the next night. So the next night he comes back and orders the dish, but is very disapointed when the waiter brings out the plate. Waiter, I was here yesterday and someone ordered this and the balls were huge. Now you bring me the same thing and the balls are tiny. What gives? Well Senor, the bull does not always lose
Old 04-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancowgirl2000
well the tonuges ok once you strip it of the taste buds...imagine while your eating it that its tasting you at the same time...hmmmm

Old 04-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
ewwwwwwww......ok this thread is really taking a toll on my stomach.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #26
Master Chef

I've had beef tongue, and it was delicious...made a great sandwich. I've also tried pork balls, which tasted OK, but they were pretty chewy.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

I think I'm going to give them a try at the Stampede this year.
eveenend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:20 PM   #28
Everymom

GAK! You're a braver man than I am eveenend!

Are you a Calgarian? We have members from Edmonton and Red Deer too, just wondering how much of Alberta is represented. If you feel like answering that, PM me so we don't hijack your thread. LOL
Old 04-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Yes I am a Calgarian Alix, though a transplanted one. I'm originally from Winnipeg. I've only been in Calgary since August 2005. I'm enjoying the chinooks and warmer weather...and the Calgary Flames make for exciting hockey too. Nice to meet you!
eveenend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #30
Everymom

WINNIPEG! No WONDER you are enjoying the Calgary weather! Nice to meet you too!