"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-10-2005, 05:38 AM   #31
Head Chef

Best of luck to all of you who want to lose weight. I lost 30 pounds almost 2 years ago, and have kept it off. That is the hard part, once you take it off. You really have to make a drastic change in eating habits and get some exercise. I walk every day for about 45 mins. and that is a big help. Portion control is also key.

The boost in self esteem is great for you once you start looking and feeling better. I'm rooting for all of you. :)

Old 01-10-2005, 07:44 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Tasha Send a message via Yahoo to Tasha
Another thing that really helped me when I lost a good bit of weight before was to keep a journal on what I ate, how much, how I felt, etc. If I HAD to write down what I was putting in my mouth.... it really diverted me from eating certain things. Although, I am a fan of eating what you want in moderation. If I want a brownie or chocolate or a piece of cake, I eat it, but I just eat a little bit. Enough to satisfy my craving but not enough to undo what I have already accomplished. Another thing someone once told me when I was that if I flub up today, it's ok because tomorrow is another day and you can get back on track then. Don't let one "off" day ruin the whole process. Good luck to everyone and I'll post week one of Trim Club today for those who are interested in it. I will put it under healthy eating...... :D

Old 01-10-2005, 07:57 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Tasha Send a message via Yahoo to Tasha
I have a quick suggestion.... why doesn't everyone post what their goals are? Everyone has a goal, whether it be long term, short term or what have you..... It might help with being able to support everyone if we know what they are working toward.... that is those that feel comfortable posting a goal, some may not. And I can start w/ myself. I have several goals....... my long term goal is to loose @ least 65 but hopefully 75 lbs. My first short term goal is to get under 200 lbs :oops: , my second short term goal is to weigh less than my husband :roll: and then that would bring me to my long term goal of 65lbs :D .
Old 01-10-2005, 08:18 AM   #34
Sous Chef

This should be good for some laughs :).

*Goes and grabs popcorn*
Old 01-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #35
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Well I did what I said I wasn't going to do and got weighed today. Oh my goodness. The scales said what I thought they would, and as suspected I do indeed have a person to lose. I'm just looking 10 kilograms at a time at moment. That's around 20 pounds. I don't have a deadline or anything, easy does it. I'm actually feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all, even my instructor looked a bit overwhelmed!!!! I almost feel like giving up, but I can't really, this is too important.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #36
Master Chef

Don't give up, Kyles! It sounds like you have a great outlook on the challenge and are doing a super job so far! We're rooting for you! :D
Old 01-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Lifter, I didn't mean that in a negative way. I guess something like that looks overly serious without any smilies attached! :oops: By all means, share any input. Okay, I guess since I'm a guy I don't really care about posting my weight and I'm not suggesting anyone else do so. At the end of "busy" season last year I weighed 180ish. As of last night I'm 225! Perhaps I should lay off the beers and munchies and get my rear end moving!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:05 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Good on you for starting, kyles! To avoid getting demoralized, don't get yourself weighed more often than once a week.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:12 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Um, not to sound ignorant (yet again) but is the tape measure method better than a weigh-in?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:14 AM   #40
Master Chef

I think they're both good, DC. It's important to loose inches, especially around the waist, so it would be good to measure this occasionally. If you're working out and lifing weights, you often may not see a large decrease in weight because you're burning fat but building muscle, so the tape measure could help reinforce the improvements you're making. IMO, I wouldn't just use the tape measure. If you want to use it, weigh yourself weekly, too!