Dinner 9/15/06?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
baby wants gnocchi w/ garlic bread. asking for alfredo gnocchi w/ parmesan garlic bread & i'll probably cook a red sauce w/ mine, w/ a basic garlic bread minus cheese.
i have to continually correct his verbal spewings; he says 'gi-nokki' & i say, 'BABY! say gnocchi properly!':LOL:

Last edited:
Just barely 9:30 here. Too early for me to plan supper, but I will keep watch on what y'all are planning!

I really don't feel like cooking tonight. I still have loads of pots to wash from last night's dinner. Just hope hubby decides to take us out to dinner.

?? shrimp?? chicken?? I"ve only had two sips of my morning coffee. Too early to think about dinner.

I'm with Dina... going out sounds good.

Fish was on today's menu and I just finished making a tuna noodle casserole out of The New Best Recipe. It's not just any old tuna casserole. It has sauteed onions and mushrooms in it and the white sauce is made with milk and chicken stock. I always make my own chicken stock and had plenty in the freezer, so I'm looking forward to eating the casserole tonight.

The recipe was a bit time intensive, but I think it's going to be worth it and it made enough to feed an army. Looks like I'll have some left to freeze for a busy night. Might be just the thing to have on trick-or-treat night when all we'll be doing is answering the door for little ghosties and goblins.

Katie

I am trying Rachel Ray's Cauliflower soup that I saw on her show yesterday. I have never had it before, but after looking at the reviews for it I decided to give it a go.

Something with ground beef....I just can't decide if I want to make hamburger steaks or my grandmother's old standby casserole with ground beef, sliced potatoes, cream of mushroom soup, & cheese.

I'm with Dina and pds--I want DH to take us out! Most likely, though, I'll be making chicken parm and pasta.

Crewsk, your grandma's recipe sounds good--real comfort food! Have you posted the recipe before?

When Iwas a little girl my mother made a ground beef-based casserole that the whole family really loved. It was created by a family friend that, I imagine, has long passed on, but he lives on through his creation. Our five children loved it as much as I did. Here's the recipe in case you might be inspired to try it tonight. Enjoy!

Katie:)

PAUL’S GOO
(Serves 6)​
1 lb. lean ground beef
½ cup finely chopped onion
¼ cup finely chopped green pepper
2 (10½-oz.) cans condensed
tomato soup, undiluted and
divided
1 (16-oz.) can cream corn
3 cups cooked elbow macaroni
Salt and freshly pepper, to taste

In a large skillet brown ground beef with onions and green pepper until beef is no longer pink. Drain.

In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except half a can of tomato soup. Mix well to combine. Put into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole and spread remaining half can of tomato soup on top.

Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350º oven for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately. Note: This is really great leftover, too.

I'm making two pizzas - one your average run of the mill regular. The other will have shrimp, crab, & clams. I'm also making mussles in wine, butter and garlic, and also stuffed zucchini.

I made a bourbon pecan pound cake with bourbon glaze for dessert.

It's definitely a 'dark and stormy' night here. The gossling is already calling me.

I'm making apple waffles for breakfast, with sauteed royal gala apples and walnuts drizzled on top. I've got heavy cream for whipping, too...:pig:

OH MY GOODNESS! I started salivating at the crab and shrimp pizza and nearly fell off my chair at bourbon pecan pound cake! Vera, you are going to be so sick of me begging, but could you post that recipe please? And do you think I could use regular unblended whiskey (rye) instead of bourbon? We don't do blended liquor in this house.

Katie E said:
When Iwas a little girl my mother made a ground beef-based casserole that the whole family really loved. It was created by a family friend that, I imagine, has long passed on, but he lives on through his creation. Our five children loved it as much as I did. Here's the recipe in case you might be inspired to try it tonight. Enjoy!

Katie:)

PAUL’S GOO
(Serves 6)​
1 lb. lean ground beef
½ cup finely chopped onion
¼ cup finely chopped green pepper
2 (10½-oz.) cans condensed
tomato soup, undiluted and
divided
1 (16-oz.) can cream corn
3 cups cooked elbow macaroni
Salt and freshly pepper, to taste

In a large skillet brown ground beef with onions and green pepper until beef is no longer pink. Drain.

In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except half a can of tomato soup. Mix well to combine. Put into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole and spread remaining half can of tomato soup on top.

Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350º oven for about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately. Note: This is really great leftover, too.
I will have to give this a try -sounds good- confort food !

PA Baker said:
I'm with Dina and pds--I want DH to take us out! Most likely, though, I'll be making chicken parm and pasta.

Crewsk, your grandma's recipe sounds good--real comfort food! Have you posted the recipe before?

PA, I don't think so. I'm not even sure I could write it down if I tried. If I make it tonight, I'mm try to write it down as I make it so I can post it though.

Alix said:
OH MY GOODNESS! I started salivating at the crab and shrimp pizza and nearly fell off my chair at bourbon pecan pound cake! Vera, you are going to be so sick of me begging, but could you post that recipe please? And do you think I could use regular unblended whiskey (rye) instead of bourbon? We don't do blended liquor in this house.

Alix, I'd be happy to share the cake recipe with you and anyone else who is interested in trying it. I've still got to make the glaze for it...heavy cream, 10X and more bourbon:ROFLMAO:.

I don't see why you cannot use whiskey. I'm a believer in drink (and cook with) what you like.

I've got to jump into the shower:blush: before my boyfriend gets here so I'll post it shortly....in the cake section.

Busy day, but we did get dinner..I made a sesame crusted chicken and put an easy jelly,OJ sauce over it, made some polenta,put a layer in a bread loaf pan, topped that with a layer of mushrooms I sauteed with onion, garlic,parsley, butter, and marsala, then finished it off with a little grated parm/romano cheese and enclosed the top with the balance of the polenta,we just dug into it, but it can be unmolded and cut into slices and looks pretty.Made a tossed green and that was it. No time to do dessert, kids all were not feeling well and each one wanted to be held so my lap and hands were pretty full today.

kadesma:)

Last edited:
also decided to prep us a salad w/ bleu cheese & cranberries & almonds & walnutoil w/ vinegar. ginger lemonade, too. delicious. meat-n-taters will likely be a snob 'bout both.:rolleyes:

My local butcher,Sam, is also an excellent chef. Once every so often, he makes his awsome Chicken Cordon Bleu, ready for the oven, and today is one of those days. Tonight, I took a half sheet baking pan, put in garlic, oinion, leftover Basmati rice. and green beans, w/evoo; roasted it a bit, then put Sam's chicken in with it all, and added white wine. Roasted until the chicken was done. Of course, the wine was not used up in the cooking ...

Back
Top Bottom