Dinner August 22?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
What is everyone thinking about for dinner?
I have 2 pork tenderloins that I'm going to slice and pound, then just saute and sauce with lemon, butter and capers. I'm making some roasted potatoes with evoo,lemon and rosemary and some sliced and sauteed apples. A tomato,cucumber salad, rolls and banana bread for later.

kadesma:)

I've been rooting around in the freezer, trying to create some space for some beef I'm getting this week, and found two ham hocks. I wanted to make a lentil soup with them, but guess ham hocks and lentils are not a natural, because the hocks cook for so much longer than the lentils..Found two recipes in Joy that I had to combine, one for lentils and one for senate soup, but then I googled and found just what I was looking for, a recipe by Emeril (sp?) somebody. So will start the soup soon, and have garlic bread and some apple sauce.

Hey kadesma, the onion sauced pork chops were yummy!! Thanks for the recipe.

I'm on the way to the freezer to do a search. I really need to go to the store though...the cupboards are empty well at least nothing looks good at the moment.

bethzaring said:
I've been rooting around in the freezer, trying to create some space for some beef I'm getting this week, and found two ham hocks. I wanted to make a lentil soup with them, but guess ham hocks and lentils are not a natural, because the hocks cook for so much longer than the lentils..Found two recipes in Joy that I had to combine, one for lentils and one for senate soup, but then I googled and found just what I was looking for, a recipe by Emeril (sp?) somebody. So will start the soup soon, and have garlic bread and some apple sauce.

Hey kadesma, the onion sauced pork chops were yummy!! Thanks for the recipe.
You're welcome Beth, I'm happy you enjoyed them.:) Your soup sounds great and I want to make some one of these days. Nothing makes your home smell like home than a pot of soup and homemade bread:)

kadesma

I think we are having pork chops so may try the onion sauced. I hadn't decided how before I read the posts. Also I have some very pretty zuchinni and tomatoes, so we may have that and I suppose I may make steamed rice - fruit for dessert - cherries, pineapple, peaches, melon, grapes, and I may make some chocolate thin crisps since I haven't made them in a great while and don't feel too guilty eating those (since they are very skinny). Can you tell I'm thinking as I post?:-p

I'm having a postponed dinner party (from Sunday) tonight, so it will be the beautiful loin lamb chops I brought back from Boston the other week... with some small white beans I'm finishing with heirloom tomatoes, onions, garlic in chicken stock, and some sauteed greens.

For dessert, I'm making a free-form raspberry/blackberry tart.:chef:

I've got some ribeyes thawing out, so It'll be steaks on the grill, broccoli. and a gratin dauphino recipe from Bobby Flay. The recipe for the gratin calls for 3 cups of heavy cream. I have 1/2 & 1/2 in the fridge, do you think that I can sub it for the heavy cream? I also have plain yogurt and sour cream if that would help compensate for the 1/2 & 1/2?
Thanks,
John.

JohnL said:
I've got some ribeyes thawing out, so It'll be steaks on the grill, broccoli. and a gratin dauphino recipe from Bobby Flay. The recipe for the gratin calls for 3 cups of heavy cream. I have 1/2 & 1/2 in the fridge, do you think that I can sub it for the heavy cream? I also have plain yogurt and sour cream if that would help compensate for the 1/2 & 1/2?
Thanks,
John.
If all I had was the half and half, I'd go ahead and use it. I 've used it in place of heavy cream when I make scalloped potatoes..The taste was the same...

kadesma:)

Thanks for the reply Kadesma,
I though it would work but wanted to ask first. (I get so much valuable info here). Time to go home and start dinner:chef:

John, my mom used skim milk in almost every recipe that called for whole milk or heavy cream, and she got nothing but raves on everything. You can surely sub the half and half with confidence. :)

I am making buritos. I filled them with cooked chicken, sauteed onions, red pepper flakes, cheese, rice, refried beans, and then topped them with more salsa and cheese, and bake them for about 30 minutes.

I just put the taters in the oven subbing the 1/2&1/2 , I'll report back on the results. Hindsight, I wish that I'd thought of adding thinly sliced onion to the dish. Oh well, maybe next time:rolleyes:
That's interesting chefj,
skim seems so thin in body as compared to the others. I'm glad to hear that it works! (sure beats running to the store)......

Chef June, I usually exchange skim for all the creams in different recipes since my Dr suggested that I watch my cholesterol.

What can I tell you...I'm still pawning off the leftovers from the weekend. I figure I can milk it for another day:LOL:

Lol Vera....I do that so many weeks. With only 2 of us, a casserole or a roast is huge so I freeze some but even then we still end up eating it for a couple of days.

Even if I halve the recipe and put it in a 7x11 pan, it still lasts for a few days. :rolleyes:

Half Baked said:
Lol Vera....I do that so many weeks. With only 2 of us, a casserole or a roast is huge so I freeze some but even then we still end up eating it for a couple of days.

Even if I halve the recipe and put it in a 7x11 pan, it still lasts for a few days. :rolleyes:

Thank you Jan!! I feel much better now:ROFLMAO:

VickiQ said:
Wing night at Sutter's Mill.

aww ,man, i wish i was going. i used to love their wing nights. it was only 10 cents a wing way back when. a girlfriend and a buddy and i would sit down and order 50 at a time.

i made my version of chicken piccata tonight. i call it limey-thymey chicken piccata. with a side of herb roasted spuds, it was delicious. i know it's good when dw is eager to put away the leftovers as soon as i'm almost :huh: finished eating. will post a recipe if anyone's interested.

Bucky,
would love the recipe..You can't lose with lime and thyme:LOL:

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom