What happened to Starbucks???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe a bit of backseat driving. 🤔

In this area Dunkin’ and McDonalds have been taking over much of the morning commuter coffee business.

I don’t really understand why more people don’t fill a travel mug as they head out the door in the morning.

Agreed Aunt Bea. Don't know how much coffee is there but I'm sure it's over $2.00 and Starbucks ... gads, 7$ 8$ have never bought one. Whether it's $2.00 a day or $5.00 which ever is X 5 = $10.00 or $25.00 a week... I can think of better things to buy. Well, besides, I never did drink coffee on the way to work anyhow. Nor at my desk in a big office, but in my own studio, yes, in the mornings I did. But employees took coffee breaks as wasn't really possible working on the floor.

In this area Dunkin’ and McDonalds have been taking over much of the morning commuter coffee business.

I don’t really understand why more people don’t fill a travel mug as they head out the door in the morning.

Interesting side note. Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' both have stores in the same shopping center parking lot near me. They are about 100 yards apart.

CD

Never liked Starbuck's or their stores and prefer the small independent coffee establishments, and their food actually tastes like they made it themselves and not that excuse for food that Starbucks brings in.

Interesting side note. Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' both have stores in the same shopping center parking lot near me. They are about 100 yards apart.

CD
Krispy Kreme tried a foray into New England some years ago (silly fools). Now the nearest KK to me is in NYC.

Krispy Kreme tried a foray into New England some years ago (silly fools). Now the nearest KK to me is in NYC.

Since I have both 100 yards apart, I can choose, and it is always Krispy Kreme, for me -- on the rare occasion that I want a few donuts.

I don't buy coffee from either one, so I don't know which one is better.

CD

I have never understood the need to have a drink (of any sort) in hand while travelling. In the car while driving, surely a danger? On the London underground, while carrying a laptop bag and shoulder bag, I need a hand to hold onto a post or I would fall over at every stop. There is no spare hand for carrying a very hot beverage! I don't even like the coffee from Starbucks or the other companies to be honest.

Actually, now I think about it, I hate drinking out of those lidded cups too! I have to take the lid off to add some sugar, and it just never goes back on properly. I want my coffee in a ceramic cup or mug and I want to be sitting down while I drink it in a civilised manner!

Last edited:

That's why Starbuck's isn't doing as well, because, just like you said, more people are filling their travel mugs as they head out the door in the morning.
The market for travel mugs is big, they are selling pretty well. It might be the most sturdy travel mug or the most fashionable one. Or it is the best one for fitting in your car cup holder, or the one that is best for the environment.

Another thing people are doing, is having a budget. People are surprised when they hit a bump and can't afford something they want or run out of money before they expect. Then they start to budget their money.

Starbucks comes in pretty low on the NEED category, and is something people WANT but choose to give up.

I have never understood the need to have a drink (of any sort) in hand while travelling. In the car while driving, surely a danger? On the London underground, while carrying a laptop bag and shoulder bag, I need a hand to hold onto a post or I would fall over at every stop. There is no spare hand for carrying a very hot beverage! I don't even like the coffee from Starbucks or the other companies to be honest.

Actually, now I think about it, I hate drinking out of those lidded cups too! I have to take the lid off to add some sugar, and it just never goes back on properly. I want my coffee in a ceramic cup or mug and I want to be sitting down while I drink it in a civilised manner!
Not really, as long as you take a few sips and set it back into the holder. I bought a travel coffee mug specifically for my morning drives into work. My morning commute is 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic. And I love having my coffee for the ride in. I bought a nice travel mug for that reason alone. It's tall and has a screw-on lid with a small opening for sipping the beverage. But I don't hold it in my hand the entire time I'm driving.

As for Starbucks, I have nothing to say about that company. Nothing good, anyway. I've tried them a couple of times. But if you don't know the Starbucks 'lingo', they look at you like you're a complete freaking idiot and even 'correct' you on your terminology. That pretentious attitude, along with the prices, is simply something I don't have any desire to incorporate into my life. My life is complicated enough.

I walked into a Starbucks in Florida once (at least I think I went inside) but the names and prices were ridiculous (and confusing). Left and have never set foot in one since. That was sometime in the early 90's.

I walked into a Starbucks in Florida once (at least I think I went inside) but the names and prices were ridiculous (and confusing). Left and have never set foot in one since. That was sometime in the early 90's.
I had a similar experience.

1715418440374.png

I had a similar experience.

View attachment 69183
This is exactly what I'm talking about. And you can't (or shouldn't, according to Starbucks enthusiasts) say small, medium, large or extra large for the size. You're supposed to say short, tall, grande or venti.

The first time I went there, just to try it out, I ordered a "small" light roast with cream and sugar-free sweetener. She said "So that means you want a tall." I said, "No, I want small." She practically rolled her eyes at me and said "Tall is small and light roast is blonde." I said "Whatever, I just want a SMALL light roast coffee with cream or half & half, or whatever you have, and some sweetener."

Then she asks me how many "inches" in cream I wanted. I was like "What??? I dunno, just dump it in there." Then she rambled off a few different sweetener flavors, asking me which one I wanted. I chose vanilla. Other little 'lessons' were also given to me in a not-so-nice tone of voice.

So no doubt in my mind they were all laughing at me once I FINALLY got my complicated cup of coffee and left.

Now, I know Starbucks employees are trained to learn the Starbucks lingo and customers who don't know the Starbucks lingo can over-complicate their lives :rolleyes: . And perhaps she was just trying to educate me on how to order my coffee next time. But she could have gone about it in a nicer way. She wasn't very patient or pleasant about it, which kind of pissed me off. She acted very much like I was wasting her precious time.

I went back one more time and got the "tall blonde with an inch of vanilla syrup" and whatever else I had to say to try and get it right, but that was the last time. I mean, come on... coffee should not be complicated, lol. It's ridiculous.

Whatever the case, I don't buy coffee from restaurants anymore. I have my little coffee maker, plenty of different flavored coffee pods on my cute carousel I bought for my 'coffee corner', my creamer (love anything vanilla) and I also buy sugar-free iced coffee, which is my latest kick.

Ohh, their stupid "venti". When we got Starbucks in Montreal, I gave them a try. I was looking at the menu on the wall behind the counter. I asked what a venti was. I don't remember the answer, but I asked why that would be called a venti. Barrista, "Because that's what they call it in Italy." Me, "A twenty?" Barrista, "Yes, 20 ounces." Well, no they don't call it that in Italy. For one thing, they use the metric system, not ounces. I did get a cup of coffee and it wasn't very good.

Ohh, their stupid "venti". When we got Starbucks in Montreal, I gave them a try. I was looking at the menu on the wall behind the counter. I asked what a venti was. I don't remember the answer, but I asked why that would be called a venti. Barrista, "Because that's what they call it in Italy." Me, "A twenty?" Barrista, "Yes, 20 ounces." Well, no they don't call it that in Italy. For one thing, they use the metric system, not ounces. I did get a cup of coffee and it wasn't very good.
I believe venti translates to "winds" so that much milk in a cup will give you the winds...

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

No chance I am EVER going to ask for a Venti or anything other than a "small". Fortunately I so rarely go to these types of establishments, I have not had a lecture from behind the counter. Which is just as well as they might end up wearing their product... (kidding, of course.... or am I?)

No chance I am EVER going to ask for a Venti or anything other than a "small". Fortunately I so rarely go to these types of establishments, I have not had a lecture from behind the counter. Which is just as well as they might end up wearing their product... (kidding, of course.... or am I?)
Throwing my coffee at the girl was actually a thought :whistling

I wasn't the nicest customer to deal with, I'm sure. But she was a little nasty from the get-go, which prompted my reaction.

Whatever the case, just because of the cost alone, I know why more and more people are setting up their own coffee stations at home. Which is what I did.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom