"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-28-2007, 06:36 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I have a casserole in the oven, courtesy of YT from a thread in the pork forum. Mashed potatoes, cubed ham, cheese, onions, worsteshire sauce (sp?), and I added some peas to his recipe and some parsley.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Undecided so far. I'm still not hungry. KFC for a late lunch. I haven't had that in quite a while..... The grocery store is close to them anyway And broccoli was on sale, so I have a bunch of that. Well, actually several bunches. I may just cook some broccoli, green beans, spinach, mushrooms, onions and bacon in a pan. Then probably throw a couple brats on the grill. Or cut them up and put them in the pan, too
I'm here looking for inspiration to pick up my appetite.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #13
Master Chef

Hotdogs and French fries

My parents just left today to go back home. With all the cooking I have been doing for the holidays I just want to have something simple. So, I am grilling hotdogs on the grill. I am indulging and making handcut French fries to go with the hotdogs.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #14
Head Chef

We made a huge pot of seafood gumbo with lots of gulf shrimp, fresh oysters, scallops, and crab legs. The last 3 nights we've had temps of twenty below so a steaming bowl of gumbo with hot french bread sure hits the spot!

Happy Friday

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #15
Master Chef

We're having ham salad sandwiches tonight.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We've had enough turkey and holiday fare, so something different. We'll have scallop quiche and a spinach salad. Dessert will be more holiday yummies. Those we never tire of.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #17
Master Chef

Grilled chicken sandwiches on focaccia with melted cheddar, tomato, and chipolte mayo and salads. We're debating hunks of the peppermint ice cream cake from Christmas (heck, who are we kidding?!? I'm getting it out of the freezer as soon as I post this!).
Old 12-28-2007, 09:24 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

With all the traveling I've been doing for the holidays - I have very little food in my kitchen. Have also been really busy lately so I ate out the last two nights. I didn't want to spoil my excellent work out at the gym tonight so I came home and cleaned and sliced up some celery and spread a little cream cheese on each and topped it with some peanut butter.... I spoiled my work out, didn't I?

Old 12-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #19
Everymom

Clean out the fridge night tonight. Bugs got perohe and sausage, Ken got taco salad and I got fried rice. I still have a crapload of turkey and soup, but that can wait one more day.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

i ended up making 2 dishes with the shrimp last night. shrimp, veggie, and white bean salad, and shrimp and sausage fra diavolo.

i cleaned and peeled half of the shrimp - reserving the shells, and the other half were split and cleaned but shells left on.

my neighbor gave us some homemade macedonian style pork sausage (some of the best sausage i've ever eaten. he's a butcher in costco, so he knows his way around an animal), so i browned it as set it aside. then, i finely diced a half an onion and a green bell pepper, sauteed it for a minute over medium high heat then added 5 cloves of garlic, sliced, and sauteed another minute until it was beginning to get color. i added a good pinch of hot pepper flakes, a tsp of dried basil, a tbsp or so of capers, and a large can of chopped tomatoes and let it simmer a few minutes.
while the sauce was cooking down a bit, i quickly made about a cup of shrimp stock from blanching the shell-on shrimp that'll be used in the salad, and the shells that were removed from the shrimp for the fra diavolo. just a cup of water brought to a boil, in go the shrimp and shells, cover, turn off the heat and let steam for a minute or two until the shrimp are just cooked through. then, reserving the liquid, discard the shells and shock the shell-on shrimp in cold water and refrigerate.
next, i added the shrimp stock to the sauce, sliced the browned sausage into pucks and put it into the sauce. simmer for a few minutes until the sausage is cooked through, then stir in 2 heaping tbsps of tomato paste to thicken the sauce.
finally, the shelled shrimp are added to the sauce; it's stirred once or twice, then the pan was covered and the heat turned off. the shrimp were cooked through just from the residual heat in about 3 or 4 minutes.

for the salad, i finely diced the other half of the onion and green bell pepper, and tossed it in a large bowl with about a half cup each of small broccoli and cauliflower florets, a half cup of sliced white mishrooms, a half cup of finely diced celery, 2 minced cloves of garlic, a rinsed and drained can of cannelini beans, a tbsp of lemon juice, 2 or 3 tbsps of evoo, a tbsp or so of red wine vinegar, s&p, and a good pinch or 2 of parsley. then i removed and discarded the shells from the cooked shrimp, and tossed the shrimp into the veggie mix. then i spooned it onto a bed of mesculun, and hit it with a little more evoo and red wine vinegar.

lol, i wanted to type this out so i wouldn't forget. i've found it helpful to submit recipes because i can never remember exactly how i made something every time i cook, but if i enter it here, i can always search and look back.
i guess i should copy and paste these as recipes.

edited to add: ok, they're posted as recipes.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote