Dinner ~ It's Friday! Friday! 12-9-2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
What's going into your tummies tonight?

We're finishing leftovers: smothered chicken, un-stuffing and gravy from the now-gone turkey cutlets, and whatever salad fixin's are in the fridge. It's make-room time before a big shop tomorrow. :LOL: I also have some broccoli and a head of cauliflower that I'll roast up so we have warm veggies, too. Winter's moving in and this could be our last salad for a while.

What's going into your tummies tonight?

We're finishing leftovers: smothered chicken, un-stuffing and gravy from the now-gone turkey cutlets, and whatever salad fixin's are in the fridge. It's make-room time before a big shop tomorrow. :LOL: I also have some broccoli and a head of cauliflower that I'll roast up so we have warm veggies, too. Winter's moving in and this could be our last salad for a while.

Good grief GF, you do big grocery shopping on a Sat? Since we can shop any day, we avoid overcrowded weekends at all costs.

SC found an abundance of wings at 1/2 price today. He's such a good shopper that he makes note of the "sell by" date and shows up that day. Lots of them are now in the freezer, and some will be cooked tonight. It's sure colder than usual here today, so don't know yet if I'll grill them or oven roast the lil darlings. Either way, I'll do him some Tater Tots and we eat lots of salads all year round.

Tamales!

I live in a 4 acre subdivision where 7 homes have been under construction this year. The predominate culture here is Spanish. Most of the workers building here speak Spanish. Early this spring I noticed a food vendor visiting the job sites and found out they were selling fresh pork tamales. I was able to communicate with him to let him know where I lived and that I wanted tamales too. He stopped by today and I bought a dozen. I ordered 2 dozen for Christmas too.

Will have a bowl of corn chowder too.

I made some more doctored-up cream of mushroom soup today since I liked it so much, since DH cleaned up every drop for breakfast a week ago :glare: so I only got a bit then. I forgot to add the drop of sherry this time, but that porcini powder really kicks it up, along with a smidge of roasted garlic powder.

Last edited:
Good grief GF, you do big grocery shopping on a Sat? Since we can shop any day, we avoid overcrowded weekends at all costs...
The new ads start on Sundays, so that's the crazy day! I try to go mid-week, but I was without MY car until yesterday. I'd rather wait than fiddle with his seat and mirror settings. ;)

We had a talk with the store manager and he described the busiest and slowest days and the days the fresh food deliveries come in. As a result, we shop
Thursday mornings. Usually not crowded and a good selection of stuff.

We had spicy pork meatballs with romesco sauce, tzatziki and fresh made pita bread.

37240-albums1041-picture6757.jpg

My eyes were bigger than my tummy and Craig ended up with 1 of the halves. They were supposed to be lamb Spiced Lamb Meatballs with Walnut Romesco Recipe | Bon Appetit , but what I thought was lamb in the freezer turned out to be veal, so I made them with pork. They made a really good pita sammy.

Beef barley stew. I love the barley. Don't want to share it. Waiting for it to cool down right now.

TB had his favourite, roasted chicken thighs, baked potato, tomato, and cucumber.

I have just been sipping on my smoothie all day. Another bad pain/nausea day. I also have a toothache that will be taken care of next week.

Dad and I went to the Grand Forks AFB Commissary today. It is a 2-hour drive each way. I had forgotten how S-L-O-W he is when it comes to grocery shopping. Then, we stopped at a local store on the way home to pick up some cod fillets, etc. I think we are stocked up for Christmas and into 2017--$300 later.

I have a brisket I have to start pickling...tomorrow. Too tired to do it tonight.

The caregiver who sat with Mom fed her. I had a bowl of cheeseburger soup. Dad had oatmeal with eggnog. I am ready to call it a day.

Dad and I went to the Grand Forks AFB Commissary today. It is a 2-hour drive each way. I had forgotten how S-L-O-W he is when it comes to grocery shopping. Then, we stopped at a local store on the way home to pick up some cod fillets, etc. I think we are stocked up for Christmas and into 2017--$300 later.

I have a brisket I have to start pickling...tomorrow. Too tired to do it tonight.

The caregiver who sat with Mom fed her. I had a bowl of cheeseburger soup. Dad had oatmeal with eggnog. I am ready to call it a day.

Oooh, Grand Forks! Old stomping grounds, got my two undergrad degrees there at UND! Was just through there in July!

Hope you and Dad got everything you needed!

Last edited:
Dad and I went to the Grand Forks AFB Commissary today....
I don't know if it's still there or not, but I actually played at the NCO club on that base around 1980 sometime. I was filling in for a few weeks with a band called Wild Cherry at the time (they had one big hit in the 70s called "Play That Funky Music"). Their keyboard player's wife went into labor and he decided to fly home to Las Vegas. A friend of a friend directed them to me and I found myself driving up to Grand Forks. I hadn't thought about that in years.

As far as dinner, I went out for sushi tonight. :yum:

Cool, Steve! I must have just missed you!

Don't remember that bar. Huh. We were mainly downtown.

Last edited:
Oooh, Grand Forks! Old stomping grounds, got my two undergrad degrees there at UND! Was just through there in July!

Hope you and Dad got everything you needed!

Okay, I am really confused. I always thought Grand Forks was in Alberta but it I looked it up when you said North Dakota. There is one there and one in my province of BC! :wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom