Dinner, Saturday 27th July 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saturday we went to a salmon bake in Oregon at a wine event my wife and I are attending. Amazing experience. There were 1400 people in attendance - I've never seen so much food (and wine) in one place.

The salmon was attached to alder poles and smoked over an alder wood fire. Pretty neat how they did it.

img_1286236_0_32952ab850764a4926c6e68f45b34471.jpg

img_1286236_1_1a9eb32bee0d6bd310d8e2d35f771b29.jpg

img_1286236_2_eb789481e0d58c6213d680022dff5a7c.jpg

Last edited:
Saturday we went to a salmon bake in Oregon at a wine event my wife and I are attending. Amazing experience. There were 1400 people in attendance - I've never seen so much food (and wine) in one place.

The salmon was attached to alder poles and smoked over an alder wood fire. Pretty neat how they did it.

Steve, I would happily parade that salmon around! Looks wonderful!

Steve, this is how the Salish Coast Indigenous folks up and down the PNW coast cook salmon. It's the best I have ever had! Lucky you!

Dawg, I asked my son what kind of shark it was and he replied "I don't know" but then last night he went out with friends and the guy he goes fishing with was along. He then told me it was blacktip shark.

Dawg, I asked my son what kind of shark it was and he replied "I don't know" but then last night he went out with friends and the guy he goes fishing with was along. He then told me it was blacktip shark.

Interesting. Thanks Jabbur! I didn't know you could eat them.

Glad it wasn't a Nurse shark, they're so cute!

When I was doing research on what to do with it, the websites all said the 2 most common sharks for eating are the blacktip and the mako. Blacktips are more common in shallower water and makos are found in deep water. Since I know he wasn't out that far, I thought it probably was blacktip but wasn't confident of that fact. Didn't know if there were other kinds in our area that it could have been.

I've never even seen shark of any kind on a menu. You were very brave! I have seen shark fin soup, but I would never eat it, very cruel practice. You at least made use of the whole fish.

Had shark once in a restaurant in San Francisco (Pier 39) many years ago. I found it uninteresting.

Sounds like Jabbur's shark fillets turned out well with the milk and marinating. I probably wouldn't order shark fillet in a restaurant even if I could find it.

I wouldn't have known what to do with it. I had to google stuff. It's a very mild firm fish and takes on any flavor. From what I've learned, you can make shark taste like anything. I think it was even in a thread here in DC that someone made a marinade and said the fish tasted like filet mignion. Now that I've tried it, I would consider ordering it if it was on the menu provided the flavors sound good.

Shark. They taste like Swordfish, best broiled. Fishy,strong flavor, a fish eaters type of fish. Don't recommend if you don't like the taste of fish. I have eated many sharks and since I'm a fish lover and fisherman, all I can say is; try it.

Back
Top Bottom