"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
Master Chef

After taking last night off from left overs, we're back at them tonigh--ham, hashbrowns, honey-roasted carrots, and salad. I think my mint chocolate ice cream cake is growing so we'll dig into that again for dessert. Funny how no one complains about left-over dessert!

Old 12-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Fisher's Mom, you will love your french skillet! When I was away all summer cooking at a camp and we had a house/dog sitter I hid my skillet in my bedroom closet. I mean I love the girl who stayed like a daughter....but I love my skillet more

Anyway, for dinner tonight I am teaching a friend how to make Gnocchi Parisienne from scratch and then since DH is working she and I will test it out with a Caesar salad and garlic herb bread!
I thought I was the only one, LP! I actually have a few pots and pans that are for the kids' use and they know not to touch mine. This skillet is so nice - it seems lighter weight than my Calphalon stainless.

Ooooh, gnocchi is one of my favorite foods and at the top of my list of things I want to learn to make someday.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker View Post
Funny how no one complains about left-over dessert!
Old 12-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #14
Everymom

Holy cow, I think tonight is gnocchi night in our house too. What is the "parisienne" style? I will likely do a 3 cheese sauce and a tomato one to go with. Depends on how long we are out shopping! LOL.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
Executive Chef

After reading this thread, I think I'll make some broiled fish (whatever is fresh and not too expensive), salad, and not sure what else yet.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Holy cow, I think tonight is gnocchi night in our house too. What is the "parisienne" style? I will likely do a 3 cheese sauce and a tomato one to go with. Depends on how long we are out shopping! LOL.
Parisienne Gnocchi is made with half potato and half choux paste, then put in a pastry bag with a large round tip and cut off into 1 inch pieces into boiling water. It is served with a fresh tomato basil sauce. I find this method of making the gnocchi very light. It was one of three ways we learned at school - the italian way, the "french" way and a very strange way that didn't really resemble gnocchi at all except in taste!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #17
Certified Cake Maniac

by the way Alix, what are your three cheeses? I can't have cheddar or any orange cheeses and am always looking for good recipes using a variety of white cheese.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I thought I was the only one, LP! I actually have a few pots and pans that are for the kids' use and they know not to touch mine. This skillet is so nice - it seems lighter weight than my Calphalon stainless.

Ooooh, gnocchi is one of my favorite foods and at the top of my list of things I want to learn to make someday.
what makes it a french skillet? different than a regular skillet
i am needing a new one, would this pan work for most skillet dishes?

babe
Old 12-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I think it's the curved, slightly higher sides that makes it a "french" skillet. Here it is:
Amazon.com: All Clad Stainless 13-inch French Skillet: Kitchen & Dining
Old 12-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #20
Head Chef

Okay how do I explain what I am doing. Well I made two burgers, added the sauce I had from the christmas roast with added onion, tomato sauce etc and hope it comes out like some form of salisbury steak. Also, left over delmonico potatoes and veggies. Then a nice slice of cheesecake with strawberries. Whew, I have got to stop eating the desserts!