"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Everyone can cook...?

Everyone can cook...?
Well, I don't know if that's true, but I hear the statement "I can't cook" all the time from some of my friends. I try to explain to them that cooking isn't hard, that one just needs to relax and do it.

What do you do to encourage friends that don't cook to start?

Old 03-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Cook something with the person that is really simple/easy that you know they will really like. After a few such lessons especially if you did it at there house so they knew they had everything to make the dish, they will get hungery when you aren't around.
2 Variations on this theme are
1 cook something that is so awesomely good till they can't
help but want it
2 Take them to a good resturant eat a good meal , then later make the same meal only better

Old 03-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Executive Chef

What a wonderful question, grandpa!!! As someone who couldn't cook until recently, I can speak with authority on this. If a friend who can't cook expresses a desire to be able to, I think it really helps to have them get one success under their belt. That's what happened to me.

The problem is that most people learn to cook at a parent or relative's side by watching and participating. My mother was a poor cook and I only knew what I learned from watching her make things that didn't taste good and I didn't like. No skills or techniques. Not even basic stuff. Over the years, when friends would say it was easy and say "just do this, this, and this to make this", they assumed basic knowledge that I apparently didn't have so it never turned out right.

That's not to say I didn't prepare food all these years. I did every day. I have a lot of kids. But I certainly knew that it wasn't tasty or well prepared and often was such a disaster that I had to dump it and make a frozen pizza. The best I can say about the meals I prepared was that I made balanced meals (they just tasted like crap.)

Finally, I made a new friend who is an awesome cook. For a couple of years, she always cooked and I bought the food and did all the cleanup. Finally, when she saw I really had no cooking skills, she came into my kitchen and taught me - one dish at a time. She said it was hard for her at first because she had to remember to break things down to the basics and make sure I knew all the little things people just absorb by watching as a child. But that's what did it for me - the first time I was able to make a really delicious dish! There's nothing like a little success and a little knowledge to get people started.

I am still not a good cook but there are some things I can make very well now so it's a start.

I guess what I'd like to say is that not all people who say they can't cook are lazy or just don't want to. It's like anything else - we're all potential brain surgeons or lawyers or scientists but we have to learn the basics somewhere before we can begin. I know lots of people have taught themselves to cook. I have taught myself to do many, many things that others go to school for. Apparently I didn't have a natural ability in this area or perhaps I could have learned and refined all those years I was turning out crap!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

iam learning all the time and having fun doing it
Old 03-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I love to cook and have been cooking since I was 8-years-old. I was the oldest in the family and the job of cooking came of necessity. I learned by trial and error and, fortunately, I didn't dislike cooking because my early cooking experience was because I HAD to cook. I love to cook and have been cooking for almost 50 years.

One thing I would recommend is to read, read, read. Pick up a good "basic" cookbook and read it from start to finish. You will learn terms and techniques, discover menus and food combinations and get a feel for preparing recipes. Make notes and jot down things that you want the answers to. I love to read cookbooks like other folks read novels.

As a matter of fact, I'm reviewing a cookbook right now and have discovered an error early into the book. In inexperienced cook might not have picked up the error and would've produced an inferior end product. Then, after making the recipe again - strictly according to the printed recipe - still turn out an unacceptable dish. I plan to call the publisher tomorrow and alert them of the error.

At any rate, have fun in the kitchen and, don't worry, the REAL worst thing that can happen is that you will have to call out for pizza. Sometimes even the dog won't eat our mistakes.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
Cook

I think one of the biggest problems is that some people just don't know that there are two types of food:

the frozen version
the good version :-P

Most of my friends who "hate cooking" have a ball when I have them over for dinner and tell them to stir the sauce. I try to make the same things they eat out of boxes, and they learn that real food and fake food are like night and day. That usually grabs them into asking a few questions...:-)

Mike
Old 03-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
Head Chef

[

As a matter of fact, I'm reviewing a cookbook right now and have discovered an error early into the book. In inexperienced cook might not have picked up the error and would've produced an inferior end product. Then, after making the recipe again - strictly according to the printed recipe - still turn out an unacceptable dish. I plan to call the publisher tomorrow and alert them of the error.

At any rate, have fun in the kitchen and, don't worry, the REAL worst thing that can happen is that you will have to call out for pizza. Sometimes even the dog won't eat our mistakes.[/quote]

Now I'm really curious. Will you share the error with us? Can it be that the author has found a different way of preparing this recipe or is it truly an error? Please share. No need to tell us which book.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

My mom always said, if you can read and follow directions, you can cook. I've found that the people who can't cook don't really follow the directions. They think they can change an ingredient or skip a step, etc., and it won't matter. Well, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't But you generally need some experience to know when and how you can change up a recipe.

And I agree with Katie - I love to read cookbooks, especially ethnic ones. I get a lot of great information about the cultures that produced certain foods, combinations, why they do what they do, etc. It's fascinating to me.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa View Post
Everyone can cook...?
Well, I don't know if that's true, but I hear the statement "I can't cook" all the time from some of my friends. I try to explain to them that cooking isn't hard, that one just needs to relax and do it.

What do you do to encourage friends that don't cook to start?
Welcome, grandpa. Think there was a similar thread not too long ago - but anyway...

Anyone that can read and follow a recipe can cook. The "I can't cook" is usually from folks who don't want to cook. I tried to encourage a friend (whose husband does all the cooking) by sending them a slow coker for their anniversary. Guess what - He was jazzed about it, we shared recipes, but she still would not cook. You can lead a horse to water...
Old 03-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Cook

I think you may have hit the nail on the head Amy, 'I can't cook' often comes down to 'I don't want to cook'. To be honest, I really enjoy cooking but evening meals sometimes become a huge drag for me, I get tired of doing dinner every. single. day. So if I had a partner who was happy to do all the cooking I think I'd be tempted to just not cook ;)

or only cook what I wanna cook lol