Friday, 10-19-2018, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Korean beef patties with caramelized onions braised in a sweet, sour, spicy teriyaki sauce. Banchan are Korean spinach and mushrooms, plus seafood, kimchi, scallion pancakes with sweet and spicy dipping sauce.

Attachments

• 2018-10-19 18.14.41.jpg
    2018-10-19 18.14.41.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 110
Med & Craig, can I come to your house?
:LOL:

We're going out to dinner tonight, I'm excited!
I found a spankin' new Italian restaurant that just,
and I mean just as in their first night of service was the 13th !!!
They make all of their pasta, by hand, no dried or frozen stuff.
SQUUEEEEE!! :w00t2:
Did I say that I'm excited?

It's that time of the year when the price of swordfish drops, and this week it's $6.99 / lb. for "ocean fresh" sword from the supermarket. Grilled sword, baked potatoes, and nuked broc. Life is good.

I had another late lunch, this time a killer BLT sammich from a restaurant I am not proud to say I went to -- Twin Peaks. Yeah, it is a cheesy place, but they make a really good BLT, and I drove past the place today, and got a craving for their BLT, and made a u-turn.

BTW, I wouldn't do that for Hooters. Their over floured and way overcooked wings suck, no matter who serves them to you.

Anyway, tonight will be grazing, again.

CD

Wasn't planning to cook tonight..we had a couple coming by to make plans to put in a new floor throughout the downstairs of the joint...they cancelled..I hit the pantry and the freezer..a franken ramen with chicken won tons, ginger pork balls, shrimp, veggies and a broth from tom yum hot and sour paste..and a dog's forehead in the photo for your viewing pleasure..

Attachments

• 44401455_2158357324405616_145256339411566592_n.jpg
    44401455_2158357324405616_145256339411566592_n.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Cajun blackened walleye +.....

39817-albums933-picture7625.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, we ordered our standard litmus dishes...

IMG_3861.jpg
Nice enough salad, but no choice in dressing

IMG_3862.jpg
Rigatoni and Meatballs with Marinara for DH

IMG_3863.jpg
Chicken Parm with a side dish of Gigli pasta and Marinara

IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3864.jpg

MEH!
First off, the handmade pasta, which didn't have that "nice" taste to it, was WAY over cooked too
Second, the Marinara tasted like straight Tomato Paste
Third, the bread was, meh
Fourth, the Meatballs---nope!
Fifth, the Chicken Parm had no taste
And last but not least of all, the service was not good at all.

Granted, they have only been in business for 5 days, but they own 4 other restaurants in the area and should know what they're about... that was disappointing!
Neither of us finished our food, but asked for boxes and then dumped them at the first trash bin we saw.
We won't be back there again, so sad.

I know that everyone's taste buds are different but as I watched the other tables around us, almost EVERY table ate only a few bites of their food, asked for a box and left.
There was no offer of dessert, coffee or an after dinner liqueur, never filled our water glasses, no grated cheese, or more bread, didn't ask if I wanted another glass of wine … I'll stop now :)
It was not a good experience :mellow:

Man I hate that, hoping for a nice meal only to be disappointed.

We're having tandoori lamb cutlets with Bombay potatoes and fried cabbage and carrot. The cabbage thing works, believe me. Served with rhaita and date and tamarind chutney. Wife's fave meal..

Russ

MEH!

First off, the handmade pasta, which didn't have that "nice" taste to it, was WAY overcooked, too. Second, the Marinara tasted like straight Tomato Paste. Third, the bread was, meh. Fourth, the Meatballs -- nope! Fifth, the Chicken Parm had no taste. And last, but not least, the service was not good at all.

Granted, they have only been in business for 5 days, but they own 4 other restaurants in the area and should know what they're about... that was disappointing!

Neither of us finished our food, but asked for boxes and then dumped them at the first trash bin we saw.

I know that everyone's taste buds are different, but as I watched the other tables around us, almost EVERY table ate only a few bites of their food, asked for a box and left.

There was no offer of dessert, coffee or an after dinner liqueur, never filled our water glasses, no grated cheese, or more bread, didn't ask if I wanted another glass of wine … I'll stop now :)

Sorry to hear that. but it is Italian in Cowboyville. Most of my friends in Texas think Olive Garden is Italian food. There is an authentic Neapolitan pizza restaurant close to me, and it does a great business off those of us who live in Texas, but are not Texans. Texans want a stuffed crust pizza with triple cheese and four kinds of meats. Make it all-you can-eat for $4.99, like Cici's, and Texans love it. Sound anything like Cowboyland?

CD

I did a rare Tri Tip in the sousvide, and finished it on 'Wilma', the searing side burner of the outdoor grill. It was perfection once again. I've been cooking Tri Tips for decades, and it took till 2018 to find the perfect method. Live and learn..old dogs can;)..nevermind.

Oven onion scallop potatoes and steamed broccolini finished the meal.

I did a rare Tri Tip in the sousvide, and finished it on 'Wilma', the searing side burner of the outdoor grill. It was perfection once again. I've been cooking Tri Tips for decades, and it took till 2018 to find the perfect method. Live and learn..old dogs can;)..nevermind.

Oven onion scallop potatoes and steamed broccolini finished the meal.

Sous vide has got to be a killer way to cook tri-tip. How long and at what temperature do you sous vide it?

CD

Sous vide has got to be a killer way to cook tri-tip. How long and at what temperature do you sous vide it?

CD

My SV tri tip formula is 130 degrees for 4-5 hrs. Finishing it on the searing burner and flipping it around with long tongs for around 3 minutes works out perfect to tighten it up and make it slightly chared and really pretty.

I love how the tail of the tri tip is as rare as the big end. That's impossible without sous vide.
I hope you can find one Casey!:yum:

Sorry to hear that. but it is Italian in Cowboyville. Most of my friends in Texas think Olive Garden is Italian food. There is an authentic Neapolitan pizza restaurant close to me, and it does a great business off those of us who live in Texas, but are not Texans. Texans want a stuffed crust pizza with triple cheese and four kinds of meats. Make it all-you can-eat for $4.99, like Cici's, and Texans love it. Sound anything like Cowboyland?

CD

EXACTLY CD!!!

I'm not suppose to SAY THAT around DH, I mean that we live in "Cowboyville", `cuz then he insists that we move !!! Not really what I want to do, nor what we should do. I live in a great place, it's just that the 'food scene' is well, cowboy, whataya gonna do ---meat and potatoes and then there's EYE-TALIAN and Mexican !! :LOL: Let's not even talk about the non-exsistance of Asian Food here :LOL:
We'll stick to my version of Italian food at home I think ... oh and Oriental foods ... :mrgreen:

EXACTLY CD!!!

I'm not suppose to SAY THAT around DH, I mean that we live in "Cowboyville", `cuz then he insists that we move !!! Not really what I want to do, nor what we should do. I live in a great place, it's just that the 'food scene' is well, cowboy, whataya gonna do ---meat and potatoes and then there's EYE-TALIAN and Mexican !! :LOL: Let's not even talk about the non-exsistance of Asian Food here :LOL:
We'll stick to my version of Italian food at home I think ... oh and Oriental foods ... :mrgreen:

Eye-talian. Oh, the memories. :LOL: I married an small-town Oklahoma girl, and her father always pronounced "Italian" as "Eye-talian," even knowing that his son in law had a very Italian name. I'm pretty sure he meant no offense, and I got a good chuckle from it, but he did shovel a whole lot of my Italian cooking into his mouth. But, then again, he shoveled a lot of Cici's all-you-can-eat pizza into his mouth. :rolleyes:

CD

Last edited:

View attachment 31893
Nice enough salad, but no choice in dressing

View attachment 31894
Rigatoni and Meatballs with Marinara for DH

View attachment 31895
Chicken Parm with a side dish of Gigli pasta and Marinara

View attachment 31896

View attachment 31897

MEH!
First off, the handmade pasta, which didn't have that "nice" taste to it, was WAY over cooked too
Second, the Marinara tasted like straight Tomato Paste
Third, the bread was, meh
Fourth, the Meatballs---nope!
Fifth, the Chicken Parm had no taste
And last but not least of all, the service was not good at all.

I know that everyone's taste buds are different but as I watched the other tables around us, almost EVERY table ate only a few bites of their food, asked for a box and left.

Since our local favorite decided to drop the quality of their food (northern Italian and no pizza), our favorite Italian restaurant is now almost 300 miles away. Food unbelievable, service impeccable! Although the local pizza place with wood fired ovens has great pizza and a coal fired oven place has great wings and a meatball and ricotta pie to die for. I still prefer homemade pizza either grilled or in our modified wood fired pizza oven.

Last edited:
EXACTLY CD!!!

Soooo, you are a Hawaiian living in the desert, and your spouse is willing to move, if you say the words, and you still live in Cowboyville?

Like a wise man once sang, "Kinfolk said, 'Jed move away from there.'"

CD :LOL:

Pirate married a girl from Sicily and her mother would be horrified if anyone ever suggested she buy store bought pasta. There is nothing like it. I have made it quite often in the past. But I gave my Kitchen Aid to Spike with all the attachments, including the pasta cutter. My cooking abilities have been seriously curtailed. I still don't have developed a good enough sense of balance with one leg. I can't see into a pot, not even a saute pan. I can't even reach the back of the counters while sitting in my wheelchair.

Enjoy that pasta and tell us how great it tasted. I will live precariously through you.

Back
Top Bottom