Blackened steak salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
20230930_175810.jpg

I make half the recipe below for me and Craig. Boneless rib eye is nearly always used instead of tenderloin because we prefer the rib eye.

I do make the full amount of dressing because I use some dressing and some of the blackening spice to flavor the potatoes as soon as they are done steaming. So, if you make the full amount of the recipe, I'd make 1.5 times the dressing so you'll have enough.

For spice mixture
1 Tbsp paprika
2 tsp ground black pepper
1-1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme

Mix all ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.

For salad dressing
1/2 cup olive oil
4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp blackening mix

In a jar with a top, add vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and blackening sauce. Swirl to dissolve salt. Add oil, place top on jar and shake vigorously. Set aside.

For salad
7-8 cups mixed salad greens
1 roasted, peeled, seeded red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1-1/2 cups thinly sliced red onion
8 ounces crimini mushrooms, thickly sliced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
16 ounces small potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
2ish pounds of beef tenderloin or boneless rib eye steaks, each about 1/2 inch thick
3 Tbsp butter, melted
10 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese of some kind, we use gorgonzola
1 tomato, chopped, or use grape or cherry tomatoes

For salad:

Steam potatoes until just done. Toss with 1-1/2 Tbsp dressing and 1/2 tsp spice mix. Set aside.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, add 2 Tbsp EVOO and the onions, plus some salt and pepper, stir. Lower heat to medium and allow onion to caramelize. Add the mushrooms and cook until almost done, add the garlic and red pepper strips and cook about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside

Spread spice mixture on plate. Coat both sides of steaks with spice mixture. Dip both sides of steaks into melted butter. Heat heavy large skillet over high heat until very hot. Add steaks and cook to desired doneness, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board; let stand 2 minutes. Thinly slice steaks crosswise.

Alternative - we usually cook the steaks on a hot grill about 2 minutes per side as above. Skip the butter if you are grilling.

Divide greens among 4 bowls. Arrange steak slices, potatoes, mushrooms, red bell strips and onions atop greens. Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with tomato and serve with remaining dressing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom