"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Ham - The most versatile meat?

As I was eating lunch, a couple hot ham and cheese sandwiches on some bollilo rolls, I thought that of all the lunchmeats, ham is my favorite. Not the processed, rectangular shaped slices (though they have their place ), but a nice cured ham. Whether it comes sliced or you slice it.
Upon further thinking, I think that ham must be the most versatile meat. Traditionally speaking, it can be used for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And in a variety of ways. It can be eaten cooked or uncooked, sliced, cubed, glazed whole, ham salad, in eggs, fried in a pan.... If I had to choose one meat to eat the rest of my life, it would probably be ham. If I had to choose one lunchmeat for the rest of my life, ham.
My ham of choice
I have found that I love keeping a hunk of ham around.

Can you think of another meat that can be eaten right out of the wrapper cold or prepared so many ways?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I've always felt pork in general is the most versatile of meats. Ham is just one of the options for pork.

For ham, we like this one. Check out the Old fashioned Smokehouse Ham. We have only had it in sandwiches and it has a nice smoky taste.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
These are the best hams I've ever had. I will send for one for Easter again this coming year.
I first had that in Nov, 2005 when we did a culinary fundraiser at the Lafayette Inn in Stanardsville, VA. Jim Kite brought a ham over for us to "try." We've all been hooked, ever since.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

We ought to do a comparison. I think you can order Smith's hams, too. They also have just a light smoky taste, not overbearing. And yes, pork is pretty versatile, but for a specific meat type I don't think you can get more versatile than a cured ham.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I lovce ham as well. I just picked up a half ham for 9 last week, sliced it up and froze portions - several weeks of ham sandwiches for my son.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
You are absolutely right Pacanis.
Leftover ham is NEVER hard to use up. I have not ever ever thrown away a scrap of ham...
I can't say the same for chicken or beef, although it kills me to do it.
Call me un-creative.... no prob, I agree.
Just make sure to make me a cheesy, potato-y, HAMMY omlette!!!!
:)
Old 11-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

I am ready to jump on the ham bandwagon as well. DH loves it so much that one year his sister drew his name for Christmas and gave him a ham and he was thrilled to pieces. I love buying a bone in ham because I can use it in so many ways and then stick the bone in the freezer until I have a few and then throw them in the stock pot to eventually become pea soup!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Scalloped potatoes with ham are in my near future, Suzi. I was looking at recipes the other day. Easier than I thought.

I don't know if the stores always sold these, but lately I've been buying these small hunks of ham, just the "heel" for lack of a better term. They are around $5 something and less than the cost/lb of ham lunchmeat. They're the perfect size for me and I seal the hunk back up in a handi-vac bag as I use it. I love having this in the meat drawer.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Laurie, one of the places I worked at used to give us a big Smith's bone-in ham for Christmas each year. My father used to give them to his employees, too. Being that they are made here in Erie, I bet it's a pretty popular Christmas "bonus" in the area. I'd rather get a ham than a turkey, like my BIL gets each year.
I'll have to try ham and potato or split pea soup one of these days. Do you have to have the bone?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Scalloped potatoes with ham are in my near future, Suzi. I was looking at recipes the other day. Easier than I thought.

I don't know if the stores always sold these, but lately I've been buying these small hunks of ham, just the "heel" for lack of a better term. They are around $5 something and less than the cost/lb of ham lunchmeat. They're the perfect size for me and I seal the hunk back up in a handi-vac bag as I use it. I love having this in the meat drawer.
I know what you mean. I have a small commercial meat slicer I acquired when a catering firm I worked for closed up. It was actually in lieu of some pay owed me, but I think I got the better end of the deal in the long run.

Anyway, I buy those small hams and/or debone my shanks and then slice it all up and seal it in packs. it even freezes well that way and I have meat for sandwiches, omelets, whatever I want whenever I want.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote