Has anyone taken a cooking class?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
Has anyone taken a real cooking class? Is it worth the cost? Is there a better way to learn? I'm thinking more about learning techniques rather than just recipes.

My wife sent me this link. A friend of hers is doing a "date night" cooking class for her anniversary.

http://www.cookstreet.com/cooking-wine-classes/cooking-classes

Classes there are about $80 for a session. Several of them look interesting but I'm unsure if they are worth the cost.

It's hard to say. I know nothing about Cook Street or your ability level. If the courses are good and there is one that sounds like it could add to your skills, go for it. $80 isn't a lot for four 3.5 hour classes.

Oh I would love to do it. Its something my middle son and I have talked about doing the next time the local college offers it. Usually its Japanese cooking. I'd go for it if I were you.....one 2 hour class around here is $45.00 to learn 3 dishes.....its a 4 week session that meets once a week.

Hi,

I've taken several at a "foodie" grocery store we have in the Dallas area called Central Market: www.centralmarket.com

From my experience, what makes or breaks a class is the instructor. I've had several really good ones and those classes tend to be the best; the average instructors usually have average classes. In all fairness though, I have had fun at all of them.

I've not taken any classes at other places yet.

Paul

ironchef said:
Yeah, I took about two years worth of cooking classes. :chef:

Did they help?
5.gif

I took cooking at school grade 9-11, but they never really helped me.
Infact I helped the teacher more than she helped me.
I was in a Hospitality course, which is food and the workplace.
So pretty much she'd explain something, and go ... "Right Alex?"
:D

I took one at our local kitchen store once. Did I learn anything.. not really.
Was it worth the 85 dollars? OH yeah!! We were served what the chef made and it was delish. I would have gladly taken more classed just for the meals. Sadly the shop closed.

These two girls at my work took a cake class.
I didn't think it would be much until I saw their cakes.
It was more of the decorating, not the baking.
It had these hard special layer around the outside. The inside was vanilla with icing between two layers, and strawberry jam between another 2. Then it was topped with icing flowers that she told me take about 10 mins each to make.

I would like to take that.

goboenomo said:
These two girls at my work took a cake class.
I didn't think it would be much until I saw their cakes.
It was more of the decorating, not the baking.
It had these hard special layer around the outside. The inside was vanilla with icing between two layers, and strawberry jam between another 2. Then it was topped with icing flowers that she told me take about 10 mins each to make.

I would like to take that.

The outer layer was probably fondant.

Yeah that's the stuff.
At first I thought the icing just hardened because somone told me the cake was out over night. But I thought it was other then that. I asked, but I had already thrown it out. Haha, it's okay, too much icing for me anyways.

I've taken lots of classes over the years - both here and in European countries. Some of them have been a couple of days, some a couple of weeks - and one, many years ago in Paris was 6 weeks. This year I've been on a 3 day course in Portugal and a 2 day course in the highlands of Scotland.

But, I'm not a chef and never will be! I don't think I have the temperament for it - or the stamina :)

I have taken several through the years. I always learn something from each one of them. The last one I took taught me to be more proficient with my stovetop smoker. Good flavor/healthier cooking!!!!!

ironchef said:
Somewhat, but I still have problems with following directions. :dry:

Yeah, there's a lot of that going around. That's why I can't figure out the surge in cook book sales the last few years.

I have taken some Cooking Classes at Valley College and they were very interesting.

It really depends on what type of class you are interested in and then research them out.

yup lots. Go for the hands on ones , not the demonstrations. You can get demos at dept stores and on TV. But hands on work with a group of like minded enthusiasts and a chef is worth the $$$.

regarding fondant: i signed my wife up for about 12 weeks of cake decorating classes. Fondant looks really good but usually tastes terrible. By terrible I mean that it has almost no flavor.

Funny you should ask! Just got a flyer in the mail today from one of the local high school's continuing education program. This will be my first formal class. I'm signing up for a Homemade Cheese class that starts in Jan. 6 weeks for $85. Using fresh milk to make Mozzarella, Ricotta, Queso Blanco, Cheddar, Fromage Blanc, etc. I LOVE cheese! :pig:

Back
Top Bottom