"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 03-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Unfortunately, neither of my grandmothers was a very good cook. My mother, though - fried chicken, rice and gravy and blackberry cobbler - mmm mmm good! And I remember my great-grandmother's homemade applesauce made from apples off the tree in her yard; she could take off the entire apple peel in one piece. Another great memory.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I have possibly the only Italian grandmother who cant cook a lick. She hates it. She basically cooks on the one-pot theory and rushes through cooking in order to get it done. she is 85 and still fiesty but going over to grandma's house to eat is not pleasureable... much better to take her out to dinner she enjoys that!

My Jewish grandmother who is now 90 and energetic as ever has never cooked anything beyond tuna salad to my knowledge. I have never seen the stove on in her condo. She is always happy to go out to a deli for some pastrami though.

My German-Jewish now deceased step-grandmother made the most amazing flaky high domed apple pie I have ever had

My love of food came from my great aunt though who was one of those true masters of Italian homestyle cooking. She cooked love into everything she made and her dishes carry on in the family tradition but cannot be equaled. Everything she made felt special and made you feel special (* im tearing up here ) but for me she always made eggplant parm sliced paper thin and lightly battered.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

wouldn't be a meal, but Gram's sugar cookies and lemonade made from lemons from her backyard tree in SoCal are a special memory.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
My grandmother was not a good cook in general, but the things she made well, no one could beat her at.

I'd be having Gefilte fish, Chicken soup with both matzo balls and Kreplach, and salmon patties with a side of spaghetti with tomato/mushroom (canned mushrooms, of course) sauce.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Never had the opportunity to know my fraternal grandparents because they were dead before I was born. Only slightly knew my maternal grandparents, mostly because they lived about 1,000 miles away and traveled very little and, as a result, we seldom saw them. Grandma was a very simple, basic cook. Mostly meat and potatoes type of cuisine.

There are only two things that stand out in my mind that I would like to eat again that was served on their table. The first thing was the fresh lightly fried crappie that Papa would get on his ice-fishing excursions. The other thing would be fresh raspberry pie Maga made from raspberries they grew in their back yard. That pie was just TOO yummy! Fortunately I was able to watch her make it and can create a pretty good duplication of the original.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Fortunately my grandmother is still alive (99). She taught me how to make stuffed cabbage, chicken paprikash with spaetzle, beet soup, her depression chilli, lamb cake for Easter, cabbage & noodles, paczki, potato pancakes, potica, strudel, babka, and chrusciki, and kolachky. Can you tell my grandmother is Polish! lol Whenever I make any of these things she lets me know if it tastes "just like hers".

Barb
Old 03-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #17
Master Chef

Both of my grandmas are dead, but when they were alive my paternal grandma served frozen dinners and my maternal grandma served, well, nothing.... their kids (my aunts and uncles) did all the cooking on those occasions we stopped by.
But, come Christmas my paternal grandma made a huge spread of candies that filled the entire 8 seat table and then some.
Now that was awesome!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Grandmama...I'm so sorry! How could I ever forget your chicken and dumplings??

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #19
Master Chef

No need to even think about it.

Her famous tripe soup. Yup - that's right - unbelievably delicious tripe soup, & I'm not even a tripe fan.

Her Czech Chicken In Sour Cream Dill Sauce with Czech Bread Dumplings (something that, thankfully, I've been able to recreate myself).

Her unbelievable Vanilla/Chocolate/Black Walnut Marble Cake, which she made for every birthday I had for as long as she could.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #20
Sous Chef

oh there are two other dishes made by my great aunt and probably my great grandmother before her that are holiday-only immigrant-Italian dishes handed down through generations. they are still recreated year after year but to me they are her dishes and the memory of them sets the gold standard.

One is a "stuffing" made of mini meatballs, sausage, olives, peppers and I am not sure what else that is flavored with vinegar. I have never seen it anywhere else. It is one of my favoite things I eat it straight as a meal during leftover season.

The second is a dessert which is a dense ricotta pie with hints of chocolate and orange I have seen variations on this in italian restaruants and cookbooks but never the way we make it.