Ketchup's Bad Rap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes... although I'd never describe tomato sauce as sweet in any way. I mean, it might have a bit of sugar in it, but it's by no means sweet.

Anyway, if they are the same thing, it has no bad rap here! I wouldn't put it on a steak, but that's a taste thing. We always have a bottle handy.

Yes, your tomato sauce is our ketchup. I have never described it as sweet either but if you look at the ingredients and you have to watch your sugar intake, sodium intake, etc., etc., it should be used in moderation.

KE I do not think our Ketchup is the same as stassie's. She describes hers as just tomato sauce. Ketchup is a bit more than that with vinegar and spices and sugar.

Stassie, American ketchup would not be called sweet by most even though it is loaded with sugar.

I liked the OP's post.:LOL:
then, 'FREAK':LOL::LOL:
then, 'LE FREAK':LOL::LOL::LOL:
My cheeks hurt from smiling.
My dad used to put ketchup in his bowl of homemade chicken soup.:glare:
My neighbor friend's hubby, puts it directly on noodles.:sick:

I make a ketchup with highbush cranberries, sugar, vinegar, lots of spice, and then I can it. It's pretty okay!

Ketchup gets a bad rap today because it is as bad as it is made out to be. It is a processed food full of salt and sugar that is used to compensate for bland food which is generally just as full of salt and sugar.

It gets a hard time because it deserves it. In moderation, I see no issue with using it every now and again. I like it on my burgers once in a while and I like it with fries. But it's not a staple in my household, it's not something I'm proud of eating or something I would rather eat over anything I could make myself.

Ketchup doesn't need anyone to defend it. It is the most widely used condiment in North America and Britain, much of Europe and the rest of the world. It's not going anywhere any time soon. It's got plenty of supporters.

I have a hard time believing that's true. Up North (Canada) salsa is not even sold in fast food chains as a condiment option. I'm sure it's popular in the United States, but I don't believe it is more popular than ketchup.

boy are they missing out. salsa is delicious on back bacon, doughnuts, beaver, and hockey pucks.

I have a hard time believing that's true. Up North (Canada) salsa is not even sold in fast food chains as a condiment option. I'm sure it's popular in the United States, but I don't believe it is more popular than ketchup.
I should have clarified that my info was for the US only, not all of North America.

Here is a quote from the NY Times...

NY Times said:
salsa -- a retailing category that includes picante, enchilada, taco and similar chili-based sauces -- took the condiment crown, outselling ketchup by $40 million in retail stores.

and another from ABC News...

ABC News said:
Salsa now outsells ketchup, Barrera notes, and tortillas outsell Wonder Bread.

boy are they missing out. salsa is delicious on back bacon, doughnuts, beaver, and hockey pucks.

Nicely done, B.T. Ketchup is especially good on hockey pucks that have been brined to help tenderise them a bit, and then cooked on a covered BBQ, low and slow, with lots of maple leaves to produce copious amounts of smoke. This of course is best done in the snow, to help prevent overcooking from too much heat, oh, wait, there's always snow somewhere in the Great White North.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

And just what are the hockey pucks of which we speak, anything resembling a flat round disk that is cooked North of the U.S./Canadian border. Sometimes they resemble burgers, sometimes doughnuts, somtimes tournedo, salmon patties, etc., etc. The technique was created as hard rubber wasn't always available for true hockey puck manufacture, especially during WW1, and WW2 when rubber was a rationed material. Our Northern freinds needed something to play hockey with and so created the cullinary version, which if the real thing couldn't be found, the cullinary substitue could be used to replace it. Sadly, all Canadians are taught to cook "hockey pucks" from a very young age and cannot make a tender, round, disklike anything. Even the pancakes are scary.:LOL::LOL::LOL:;)

Ahhhh, just kidding. I know several Canuks that cook just fine, great even. But then again, I dnow a few that make hockey pucks.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sanosarah; Please don't take offense. I live on the Michigan/Ontario border, way up North here in Sault Ste. Marie, MI. I'm just poking fun at my Northern freinds. The Church I go to was in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario for 15 years, and I have a good many freinds on the Canada side of the river. I really couldn't respect any country or people more than those freinds. But we do occasionally tease each other. I try to do it ins such an outladish way as to make it obvious that I'm jsut poking fun, and expect to get back as good as I give. Guys just seem to do that kind of thing.

So, don't take my last post seriously at all. Know that I truly enjoy Canada, and the U.S. And smile at the silliness. As for Canadian cooking, one of my favorite cooking partners, a man & his wife with whom we share a yearly New Years Eve feast lives in SSM Ont. We honestly get together several times a year and cook up some very good food. He was also my partner for our Church's annual pancake breakfast. And the corn roasts over on St. Joseph's Island, that were another annual event attended by better than a hundred church members every year, were legendary.

Smile and be happy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hey he he eh eh eh,,,,, Just sos you knows. My mom is Canadian, all her family is canadian, we are canucks to some degree. I love my northern neighbors, heck, lots of 'em are my relatives.
Speaking of Canadian foods--anyone tried poutine?

**blissful is a known drifter of threads**

What would meatloaf be without ketchup?
I've been using the reduced sugar version for awhile now. I also use tomato sauce with a little brown sugar on meat loaf.
Didn't Ronald Reagan back the school lunch programs on counting ketchup as a serving of vegetables? (even though it's a fruit)

Back
Top Bottom