Memorial Day Dinner 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Memorial Day Dinner

Raining this morning, but cleared up mid-afternoon.

Daughter, SIL, and grandbaby were over for dinner. I try to cook things they wouldn't ordinarily have at home. Tonight it was grilled flank steak with a spicy peanut sauce, garlicky brown basmati rice, grilled brussel sprouts, and a green salad. Grandbaby is just starting to eat a bit of solid food, and enjoyed the rice. SIL can eat an astonishing quantity of grilled or broiled brussel sprouts, and he didn't disappoint me tonight. Just a bit of steak and rice left over for tomorrow's lunch.

The holiday weekend is just about over. All that's left is to make dinner one more time.

We're grilling agin. I have some seasoned chicken thighs I'll grill. I'm also making pilaf and steaming asparagus.

What's on the menu for you?

Grateful thanks to those who sacrificed all so that we may all celebrate.
stock-vector-american-flag-3046384.jpg

I made a big bowl of salad for us to share. Afterwards, I'm dragging out the leftovers (steak, ribs, potato salad, broccoli, mushrooms, maybe a few other non-fuzzy items) and it will be "first to the table is best fed". ;)

Speaking of leftovers, we have 1/4 each left of blueberry pie and cherry clafoutis. I'm thinking that pie needs to go...and it will "go" quite nicely with a dab of ice cream.

Andy and 10Speed both think alike at virtually the same time. I'd call this 3/2 tie ball game except in horse racing. :cool:

Today I'm thinking about my step grandson who just joined the Marines and all that he has before him.

I'm having the last of Saturday's grilled chicken. Soft shell chicken tacos, 3 small ones to be exact. Thin sliced cukes, radishes, Ca olives and half a avocado after removing some discolored portion Squeeze of lime and jarred salsa on top of the shredded chicken. No compatible cheese in the house. There's a calorie saving...

...Because I'm having a bowl of sliced banana, ice cream and a squirt of Hershey's chocolate syrup for dessert.

Last edited:
Antipasti, caprese salad with roasted red bell instead of tomatoes, grilled asparagus wrapped in prosciutto, garnished with shabed parm, and marinated mushrooms.

burgers on the grill, topped with onion, green chiles, pepper jack cheese and swiss chard from the garden, guacamole and chips and biscochitos for dessert. DH's twins and a granddaughter are in for a few days. Have the fixins for Margarita's too.

I found meatloaf and cheesy mashed potatoes in the freezer. Let them defrost in the fridge for a couple days and baked them up. Now guess what we'll be having for the next several days.

Looks good, Joey. :yum:

I had a scoop of chicken salad with Triscuits, sliced tomato and cucumber, a peach, and a plum.

Strange, my previous dinner post vanished.

Well anyway, we're having Taco Salad just like last week because we have new leftover SW corn and black bean salad from our family dinner on Sat. That salad is really great, added to beef Taco salad. I drain the dressing as a base for the Taco Salad dressing, with some mayo.

Our little cabin in the mountains has a charcoal grill outside. I par-cooked baked potatoes in the oven till DH got back from walking the dog, then we finished them on the grill. We also grilled a couple of ribeyes and I made green salads. We ate outside at the picnic table and listened to the birds and boaters on the lake. It was a beautiful day.

Nothin' special. Friday is Payday so whatever quick and easy dinner I come up with then will be my holiday dinner.

Back
Top Bottom