Memorial Day Dinner May 27, 2019 ~ Never Forget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I *love* chimichurri with beef! Yum!

It sure felt like the kickoff for summer with this meal. The new addition was the Chmichurri sauce made with my new little food processor. WOW I'll make this every time with this meal from now on. What a wonderful sauce for meat. We tasted it in Argentina, but I forgot about how great it is.

What recipe for chimichurri are you two using? I tried making it once and it was okay. We thought it was rather uninteresting. I'm wondering if it is a different recipe or just a difference in taste / preferences.

What recipe for chimichurri are you two using? I tried making it once and it was okay. We thought it was rather uninteresting. I'm wondering if it is a different recipe or just a difference in taste / preferences.

Taxi, as usual I looked at several recipes and came up with my own.
I'll type it up and post my version. I'll be interested to hear about GG's take on it.

This is the one I use, although I usually chop the garlic and let it sit in the vinegar for a bit, to tame the bite. I really like red wine vinegar, so that's probably why I enjoy this so much. Some recipes include cilantro and/or oregano. I've tried it with both, and I prefer it with just parsley.

1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp water
1/8 cup red onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes or Aleppo pepper

1. Process parsley and garlic in food processor till finely chopped. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.

2. Transfer to a medium bowl and whisk in remaining ingredients till thoroughly blended. Taste and adjust seasoning.

GG, that's almost exactly the recipe I used. But, it had fresh oregano and no onion. I think having onion instead of oregano would be an improvement. I can't really remember what it tasted like (it was 7 years ago), just that we were unimpressed. I betcha onion would really kick it up a notch.

I am very interested to see Kayelle's version too.

GG, I know that Taxi doesn't like cilantro so I'm sure your version will be more to her liking. Yours looks yummy too.

Thanks. I'm sure yours is also delicious. I like cilantro, but for some reason, it doesn't do it for me in this dish. As usual, there are as many recipes as there are cooks ;)

GG, that's almost exactly the recipe I used. But, it had fresh oregano and no onion. I think having onion instead of oregano would be an improvement. I can't really remember what it tasted like (it was 7 years ago), just that we were unimpressed. I betcha onion would really kick it up a notch.

I am very interested to see Kayelle's version too.

She posted it in the Condiments forum: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f83/chimichurri-sauce-my-way-102236.html

GG, I know that Taxi doesn't like cilantro so I'm sure your version will be more to her liking. Yours looks yummy too.

You're right. I don't like cilantro. But, I can see how that might make it more interesting for someone who does enjoy it. Were there other differences in your recipe?

Edit: I just saw GG's reply. I'm off to look at your recipe now.

Can you post the full recipe and instructions for the Spicy sweet and sour sauce please. Thank you in advance.
Spicy Sweet and Sour dipping sauce
Nahm Jeem Gratiem

1 c sugar
1/2 c water
1/2 c white vinegar
3/4 tsp salt
2 tb garlic, minced, but not too fine
About 10 dried Thai pepper, to make 1 tb,
or 1 tb crushed red pepper flakes

A. Crush the peppers in a mortar, until some powder is present, and no large pieces are left. If using crushed red pepper flakes, crush them briefly, in the mortar, to get some powder, but mostly flakes. I no mortar, use a spice grinder, pulsing to get this texture.

B. In a small (I use a 1 1/2 qt) saucepan, combine all ingredients, and bring to a boil over med-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook about 20 min., until thickened to a light syrup. A foam will form on the surface - about a half inch foam is what seems to indicate the right thickness.

C. Cool to room temperature before using. Keeps very well in the fridge - cool again, before using, as it is very thick, when cold.

This is very good with grilled chicken and meats, as well as fried appetizers.

Last edited:
I'll do that later, Kayelle, when I go upstairs to my PC. I'll also put it on the international forum, for anybody looking for Thai foods. I'll also change some of the wording - as usual, when I looked at it later, there were some dings, and you can't edit after 20 min, or something like that!

Last edited:
Nahm Jeem Gratiem

1 c sugar
1/2 c water
1/2 c white vinegar
3/4 tsp salt

A. Crush the peppers in a mortar, until some powder is present, and no large pieces are left. If using crushed red pepper flakes, crush them briefly, in the mortar, to get some powder, but mostly flakes. I no mortar, use a spice grinder, pulsing to get this texture.

B. In a small (I use a 1 1/2 qt) saucepan, combine all ingredients, and bring to a boil over med-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook about 20 min., until thickened to a light syrup. A foam will form on the surface - about a half inch foam is what seems to indicate the right thickness.

C. Cool to room temperature before using. Keeps very well in the fridge - cool again, before using, as it is very thick, when cold.

This is very good with grilled chicken and meats, as well as fried appetizers.

Thank you.

Nahm Jeem Gratiem

1 c sugar
1/2 c water
1/2 c white vinegar
3/4 tsp salt

This sounds very similar to sweet Thai chile sauce. Is it a version of it, or something else?

We've been using sweet Thai chile sauce as a dipping sauce for egg rolls. Similar to duck sauce, but we like the heat.

Last edited:
I've seen similar recipes with this name, GG, but they had pastes in them, as the source for the hot and garlic, whichwweren't as good, IMO. Depends on the author, I guess.

Last edited:
This sounds very similar to sweet Thai chile sauce. Is it a version of it, or something else?

We've been using sweet Thai chile sauce as a dipping sauce for egg rolls. Similar to duck sauce, but we like the heat.
That got me curious, so I had to check out a bunch of my Thai CBs (I didn't check all of them, and don't ask how many I have! lol), just to see what they called similar sauces. The only one that had the actual name Thai Sweet Chile Sauce was a recipe which had tamarind for the sour ingredient, and fresh chiles, so that's probably not what you have been using - it's probably closer to this one. And two had the names Nahm Jeem, but different "last names"! Like I said, it depends on the author, or their source for the recipe.

I am putting the recipe in the condiment and International forums now.

Back
Top Bottom