"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
My guy and I appear to have COMPLETELY different tastes in food.

I am a health food junkie and he is not. He does not even like vegetables, except onions, while I do not like eating fried foods and processed meats.

Anyone have any ideas as to where we can reach a middle ground?
Does he not like spaghetti with tomato sauce? That's pretty healthy, especially if you use whole-grain spaghetti. Also, and I wouldn't hide this, but you can use a food processor to mince veggies like bell peppers and zucchini very finely and include that in a tomato sauce with lots of onions and garlic and get some extra veggie servings that way.

If he does like pasta or stir-fries, you could make a basic recipe without meat (if that's how you like it), remove your portion from the pan, and then add the kind of meat he likes.

On the nights you make something he likes (as part of that compromising thing mentioned previously), you could make a big salad for yourself, so you're eating less of the part of the meal you're not so fond of.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
Master Chef
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Have you tried Bulgogi?
Uh.. what's that??

Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #13
Executive Chef
A Korean beef dish, widely discussed on the internet.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #14
Head Chef
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Have you tried Bulgogi?
OMG, my son introduced me to Bulgogi at a little carryout Korean place. Excellent! Unfortunately, there are more people in our town with tastes like Maverick, and the place is now closed. Bummer.

JoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #15
Sous Chef
Oh, I'm in the same boat. I like to eat healthy, my hubby has a limited palate, geared toward junk and high fat foods. He's in his mid forties and still can eat all of that crap w/out consequences (weight gain, cholesterol, etc.) I am glad that he likes onions and garlic, cuz that would've been the deal breaker, LOL. I have found some middle ground. He loves tacos so we have that a couple times a month. I use ground turkey instead of ground beef, add some black beans (cuz he likes black beans) and soy crumbles (he doesn't know that part) and use Penzey's taco seasoning, adding some more seasonings of my own. He thinks they are the best taco's he's ever had. First nite taco's, second nite taco salad. He loves burgers and fries. I have a great turkey burger - not at all dry. And I do oven baked "fries". He does like fatty steaks. I'm more of a fish, chicken girl. It's easy to grill out a steak for him and a chicken breast for me. He loves fried chicken. I do to but I'd choose to keep my weight and cholesterol in control. So I sometimes pick him up a few pieces for him and I'll have one of my healthy frozen meals and finagle one bite of that chicken, cuz I gotta at least have a taste!

It is a challange, sometimes you both have to compromise, but there is common ground to be found.
PytnPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #16
Sous Chef
veggies are rocking they jsut got a bad rep.

what about making the veggies in a not so healthy way?

I sautee string beans and such in butter and some butter. its rocking
Genius is sparked by other peoples ideas.
GhettoRacingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:36 AM   #17
Master Chef
Yakuta, try baked sweet potatoes. Very nutritious, and a lot of kids like them. Good for both boys. Another thing when it comes to veggies. You mention the one only likes spinach as a veg. Look at how you prepare spinach and think of other vegs you can prepare in the same manner.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:05 AM   #18
Master Chef
By the way, many Asians really can't process dairy products well, just as many Asian women cannot process booze. So her dislike of some of the dishes you mention may be connected to this. Lived in Hawaii for years and learned these simple basics. This is by no means all, so no one write and tell me how much you love these things. A Korean-American-Hawaiin friend who is a doctor told me it has to do with enzymes.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:10 AM   #19
Senior Cook
We're very compatible. There isn't a single food item that DH doesn't like (except bean sprouts but he'll still eat it). One thing where we differ is that I don't eat liver, kidneys etc and he loves it - he gets his chicken liver fix if it's on the menu when we eat out. Neither of us like junk food very much either - take out pizza once a month maybe.
TanyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #20
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Sometimes people don't like something cooked one way, but they do like it another way. For example, my husband always thought he hated asparagus. One night, we had tapas with friends where we shared everything and they ordered pan-roasted asparagus with sesame seeds. It was great, and now he loves roasted and grilled asparagus.

Then, he thought that was the only way he liked asparagus, but I've made risotto with peas and asparagus and he liked that, too So maybe trying different cooking methods, and compromising sometimes, will make a difference. HTH.
That's a really good idea, GG... I often roast Brussels Sprouts along with the more common potatoes, carrots and the like, and it's really amazing how many people who claim they absolutely HATE the little sprouts can't seem to get enough of them roasted.

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote