"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #51
Executive Chef

We always pre-cook our thin crust pizzas for a bit on 1 side at around 375 for a couple of minutes, then the other side for a minute or so. Then, Craig cranks up the heat while I take the crusts inside and top them. They only take a few minutes once he gets the heat up. He can get the BGE really hot, over 600 and the Weber can go over 500. In our opinion, doing it that way seems to keep the crust crispier.

With a heat sink, you can cook the deep dish pizzas at a higher temperature for a shorter length of time. When looking for the copycat priazzo recipes, I found cooking times of 350-375 for 45 minutes to an hour. With a heat sink, it was 450ish for 20-25 minutes. I had Craig take the temperature in the middle with the instant read before he pulled it off the grill and it was 180 in a pan that was 14" in diameter. Obviously, don't know how it tasted, but the crust looked very similar to what Pizza Hut's pan pizzas looked and felt like back in the 80s and 90s, that golden brown, almost fried looking crust. Instructions were to put lots of olive oil in the pan and sprinkle with coarse corn meal. Hopefully, we can try this again soon, without the same results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heat sink.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	33579  

medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pizza