"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster
Oh, man. Just played at a dance in cottage country last night. It had to be the worst night ever for mosquitos in my entire life. It is hell when you are sitting in one place and can't move for an hour at a time. They even bit my nose...
We got some of those little battery operated Off clip-on fans. If you are pretty much in one spot, it might work for you. You can clip it to your belt or put it on a surface next to you. Haven't tried them yet, but they should work.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've got the last large chicken breast half (bone in, skin on) thawing. I've got a few tender sprigs of rosemary to mince and put under the skin before roasting.

I'll make a warm chicken sandwich on 12 grain bread, after eating the crispy skin.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #43
Master Chef

[QUOTE=Alix;1024652]Its not sweating, its mosquitoes. I mean swarms of mosquitoes. Like can't walk 10 feet from car to front door without being eaten alive.

Lol! I meant by being out in the sun all day! And try the listerine thing, it really works! Or Peaceful Sleep Spray not the Stick roll on :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Speaking of rosemary (which I have a ton of...I love it--in the winter it flowers in my house), if you grow rosemary, you should trim it often throughout the summer to encourage it to get "bushy." Otherwise, it is spindly. The same is true for French Tarragon.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Speaking of rosemary (which I have a ton of...I love it--in the winter it flowers in my house), if you grow rosemary, you should trim it often throughout the summer to encourage it to get "bushy." Otherwise, it is spindly. The same is true for French Tarragon.
Trimming the flowering heads of Sweet Basil prolongs the growing season too.
Another tip is to infuse 1 cup of rosemary sprigs in 1 liter of boiling water, allow to cool, strain and keep this in the fridge. Add a cup full to last hair rinse after washing to prevent hair loss and add body and shine.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm told they keep mice from building nests in snowblowers and such, too, Alix.
I just never hear of anyone actually trying them, lol.

This must work, I have never had a mouse build a nest in my dryer
Old 07-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Its not sweating, its mosquitoes. I mean swarms of mosquitoes. Like can't walk 10 feet from car to front door without being eaten alive.
That's how it is here most years. We have a lot of marsh land and other water sources in the area. I was out at a friends house a few weekends ago and I swear they were trying to carry us away. Fortunately it was still cool enough that I could wear jeans, sneakers and a hoodie with the hood up. I still had to have the hubby spray me all over (I returned the favor) with bug spray paying special attention to my face and hands. I still ended up with a few bites on my legs and arms and a bunch on my face and hands. Stupid little critters even got my eyelids. They're voracious little buggers.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the laugh, Aunt Bea
Old 07-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #49
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13

I'll come..lol! Tired of being a housewife for 3 ungrateful people that can't even say thank you for dinner or find the darn wash basket or dustbin! I'll even cook some days..lol!
I know how you feel. I have a 6 year old (step child of course) that is ungrateful about EVERYTHING! if she's not doing something she wants to do then all you hear is complaining. The days are stressful and supper time gets even more stressful. Especially for me cause I'm emotional... She always so ungrateful never says thank unless you make her. Got to the point where she can eat if she wants if not then she can go to bed hungry! I'm not the type that makes 2 meals because someone don't like it. That's the way I was brought up!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
I know how you feel. I have a 6 year old (step child of course) that is ungrateful about EVERYTHING! if she's not doing something she wants to do then all you hear is complaining. The days are stressful and supper time gets even more stressful. Especially for me cause I'm emotional... She always so ungrateful never says thank unless you make her. Got to the point where she can eat if she wants if not then she can go to bed hungry! I'm not the type that makes 2 meals because someone don't like it. That's the way I was brought up!
It does make it more worth while doing things for people who appreciate it and my kids are still not that bad..lol! It's the grown man that makes me want to have myself committed!

Tags
dinner