"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-21-2008, 08:26 PM   #31
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
How is Saturday looking? You ready yet?

Old 08-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
How is Saturday looking? You ready yet?
Why don't you just come here for dinner, till I am ready..?

I'm making quail with figs and goat cheese. First course is an eggplant and potato napoleon.

I have a request for a key lime pie for dessert...but I want to deconstruct it. I'd like to make tiny lime mousse, cream sauce swirls and tiny graham cookies...

Old 08-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Talula's is right down the pike from me. Quite fine. During the day a gourmet shop and also take outs for home dining. All that stops for the sit down meal. But that's how they make a go of it.

A fine tasting menu restaurant (could order 2-5 courses from a great variety) recently closed in Wilmington De. Very fine so quite sad to see them go.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:40 AM   #34
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I'd love to go to a place like that- and I would absolutely keep going back as long as I 'got' the chef- understood what is was he was trying to do with his particular brand of cuisine. Prominent food writers all describe their best meals as ones where diners more or less must submit to the Chef's whims. Of course the Chef doesn't know what you, or any other individual likes, but the Chef probably know much better than you what's good.

Of course this is extremely inconvenient for folks with allergies, for example, or folks who would absolutely rather die than consume a particular ingredient. Of course, for the latter, there's always the chance that if you would rather die than consume consume fish, maybe you've just never had good fish- and this particular Chef may be able to show you just exactly what great cooking can do for an ingredient that repulses you.

The reason I think a place like this would be so good is that good Chefs tell a story with their food and their style. Great food can evoke emotion, and can even be appreciated much like art.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #35
Sous Chef

My two cents worth - I love your idea!

I also spend a lot of time trouble-shooting for small business that face financial difficulties.

In my limitied experience, it is never that they lack good ideas and often their sales are remarkable, but they fail to realize how much those sales are costing

Make a business plan, take a couple of classes on entrepreniership, get a mentor,if you think you need one. Your culinary skills are certainly not lacking.

You will spend more time working with bankers, accountants, lawyers, and insurance agents than you will ever spend in the kitchen. Are you up for that?

It may sound cynical. I don't intend it that way. I'm wishing you the very best!
Old 08-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #36
Head Chef

There is a place on Plum Island that serves breakfast by day in a small fun little place. On the weekends dinner is served, by reservation and seats about 12. There are four tables. The menu offers two choices for the main course but everything else is the same for all. There is no menu to choose from ahead of time. It's byob. I enjoy going there and feel the chef does a wonderful job. Small place on a sandy road across from the ocean with candles and all the ambience one could want. I love different venues for my dining experiences.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Wish I would have read this thread earlier.

I always love being wowed or ordering the special or jsut asking the waitress/waiter to give me what they do best.

ive been doing ti for some time and I havent been disapointted yet. Alot of things havent wowed me but I dont think anything can wow me. (thats another story)

I did the family sytle thing in amsih country in Lnacaster PA. I was kidna like ehhh about it but its really cool. You meet all these people. and passing arounf the food really opens up the conversation and since its tourist area the opening line is like ohh where are you from.....
Old 08-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #38
Sous Chef

I would be up to it.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoRacingKid View Post
Wish I would have read this thread earlier.

I always love being wowed or ordering the special or jsut asking the waitress/waiter to give me what they do best.

ive been doing ti for some time and I havent been disapointted yet. Alot of things havent wowed me but I dont think anything can wow me. (thats another story)

I did the family sytle thing in amsih country in Lnacaster PA. I was kidna like ehhh about it but its really cool. You meet all these people. and passing arounf the food really opens up the conversation and since its tourist area the opening line is like ohh where are you from.....
Vera is not talking family style here. I don't know if you thought she was or not.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoRacingKid View Post
I've been tempted to follow through with that, but everytime I tried it, the server just suggested the most expensive dish.