"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Stew in a Blizzard - Minnesotan Here

Here in MN we are having an awful blizzard...the worst in 20 years! I am completely snowed in. The only way I can get out is if I ski or snowshoe...no kidding!

So, tonight is stew with wine, bread and hot chocolate...anyone else in the midwest?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	9205   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	9206  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	9207   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	9208  

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	9209  

Old 12-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Master Chef

Minnesotans for global worming. That is the sign oin my new t-shirt, I am planing to order. My snowblower broke, How do you like that, huh.

Looks great.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks, forgot to add, because I'm snowed in, I used what I had - peas, hominy, white potato, sweet potato, leeks, boneless pork ribs. It was fun to do.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

you should come to sunny california. it was 80 here today. we grumble if it goes to 40 at night. i grew up where it snowed and sleeted and rained for days. i don't miss it a bit.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Ah babe, then I would lose my best excuse to overeat and drink too much!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Master Chef

Oh, yeah! Most of the storm has hit north and south of us (thank heaven!), but on Friday I went and stocked up, and judging by the people around me, my fellow small-towners did the same. We won't get hit as bad as you will, but everything is buried in snow already. I made a version of turkey tetrazzini for supper tonight, myt husband ad a bit too much to drink and went to bed early. Good thing, because, and some people down south don't know, if you don't shovel your walk before the mailman comes, he doesn't have to deliver, and at least in our small town, you have to have the public sidewalks shovelled within a certain number of hours after the snow stops. So it'll be heavy lifting tomorrow. Our first wave looked very wet, which is h--l on the back. Tell me again why I moved here from Florida???
Old 12-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
you should come to sunny california. it was 80 here today. we grumble if it goes to 40 at night. i grew up where it snowed and sleeted and rained for days. i don't miss it a bit.
Me neither! I wasn't going to rub it in, but since you mentioned it, I'm sitting here with the windows wide open, wearing a t-shirt and shorts. It won't last, it's been in the 30s already, but warms up nicely so far when the wind is from the south.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:36 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The weather forecast says that we'll be getting that blizzard Sunday evening, Monday.

At least our earthquakes are small and we only get a serious rain after there has been a hurricane to the south of us.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:09 AM   #9
Master Chef

I got my first taste of snow on Dec 2nd. I drove from Maryland to Michigan with hardly a flake of snow fluttering through the air. Just South of Flint, MI, the snow came down so hard you could barely see the road. And it was that way to Mackinaw City. I had to drive between 35 and 45 mph for about 350 miles or so. Then it cleared up until I was about 6 miles from home. Then it came down so hard that I missed my turn off from the highway. I had to go another 3 miles to the next turn off and then backtrack through town. I left Maryland at 8:30 a.m. and got home at 3:30 a.m. the next morning. That was a long drive. It's been snowing off and on ever since. We have about a foot and a half of snow on the level. It's been snowing since about 8:00 p.m. this evening and hasn't stopped yet at 4:00 a.m. I'm thinking that I will be shoveling a bit tomorrow. I'm not in a blizzard here, as I'm surrounded by trees. But it's blowing pretty good in town.

Hope everyone weathers the storm well.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 AM   #10
Head Chef

I just talked to a friend who's in MN and they got nearly 16 inches of snow!! wow...

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote