Sunday 1/2/11 What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. I just got it figured out, with the help of Ask About . com
I'm on a PC using XP and I had to change a couple settings in my control panel/languages to say United States International. And in my case you hold down the right alt button. So I can type Molé and Jalapeño all my heart desires :LOL:
I don't know why it just doesn't come set up that way. It doesn't appear to affect anything else. And that was always a peeve of mine not being able to spell them correctly. You can also hold down shift + alt and type a number code, but you can only use the keypad that way and my laptop doesn't have a keypad.
Interesting things you find out about these computers...

Still not working for me!

I want to know how to get my cent sign back. I have never used a caret sign on a keyboard. Whoever changed it should be held up to extreme ridicule or something. I used the cent sign all the time. $.99 just doesn't say it for me, nor does 99 cent. At least on typewriters, you could put a slash through a c if it wasn't at shift 6.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I want to know how to get my cent sign back. I have never used a caret sign on a keyboard. Whoever changed it should be held up to extreme ridicule or something. I used the cent sign all the time. $.99 just doesn't say it for me, nor does 99 cent. At least on typewriters, you could put a slash through a c if it wasn't at shift 6.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Amen!

Back to cooking. Alix's Parmesan Chicken is almost done. Of course there had to be something to change. I really didn't want to, but there was some bacon fat in the pan and chicken drippings from the breast I baked for chicken salad, so I used those instead of butter, but all else is as written. Oops, there goes the timer.

Okay, try this. While holding down your alt key, type on the number pad 0162 and then release the alt key. A ¢ sign should appear.

This ONLY works on the number pad.

Last edited:
those just are not working on the laptop. I do have a USB number pad...for those times I am using Shrek's credit card...:)

¢ yep. I still want the option of changing out the caret, but haven't been able to find if there is a way. It really irks me that someone would make a change like that. The only time I have ever used a caret is when writing long hand to add something. Never when typing.

Sadly, the chicken didn't come out so good. I don't know why. It may just be me or the particular thigh I was eating. I made long grain & wild rice which should have been delicious with it, but it tasted chalky. I haven't been having good luck with bread crumbs lately so I will just have to get some corn flakes. My last several attempts using bread crumbs were not up to par.

I've found they carry wild rice at Walmart, and although it's expensive, mixed with plain rice I should be able to come up with a good recipe. This time I used Rice A Roni brand. Yuk. I remember Uncle Ben's as being good, but I'd rather make my own. Starting a thread for that now.

i made broiled buffalo wings tonight. if you like your wings on the well done side and don't have access to a grill, then this is the way to go. line them up on the broiler tray and put into the middle slot. broil 10 minutes on each side, rotating the outer ones to the center and vise versa so they all get cooked evenly

sauce was just simply butter and frank's.

unfortunately, dw didn't know that i was making them downstairs, so she gril-panned some plain boneless chicken breasts, and sauteed broccoli with garlic and evoo.

even though they had already eaten by the time my wings were done, we all shared the bucket o' wings. the little guy put away a dozen before he finally was too stuffed.
who can resist buffalo wings?

I don't know how to put one of those accent/puncuation thingies in my words or I would have ;)
Plans have changed anyway, so the moles are safe.

If you are using Windows, then you can find it on the character map. "Character Map" can be found in: all programs | accessories | system tools. I put a shortcut in my tray.

i made broiled buffalo wings tonight. if you like your wings on the well done side and don't have access to a grill, then this is the way to go. line them up on the broiler tray and put into the middle slot. broil 10 minutes on each side, rotating the outer ones to the center and vise versa so they all get cooked evenly

sauce was just simply butter and frank's.

unfortunately, dw didn't know that i was making them downstairs, so she gril-panned some plain boneless chicken breasts, and sauteed broccoli with garlic and evoo.

even though they had already eaten by the time my wings were done, we all shared the bucket o' wings. the little guy put away a dozen before he finally was too stuffed.
who can resist buffalo wings?

Not me!:pig:

I think I've figured out why I have been having so much trouble with breaded chicken thighs.

One is that purchased bread crumbs do not have salt in them resulting in a blah taste. Seasoning the meat alone is not enough.

Two is the fact that I use thighs, which adds lots more moisture resulting in a gummier breading.

I was checking my email this morning and a newsletter from Betty Crocker had a recipe almost the same as yours, Alix, but with very slightly different proportions. It used chicken breasts, of course, and looked lovely and crisp. That's when I realized that the thing I love best about the thighs, their moistness, is what was causing my difficulty.

Well that sucks Zhizara, sorry it didn't work out for you. Betty Crocker is poaching my recipe??? OK that's kind of cool actually. I will say this does well with chicken breast. I buy BSCB in bulk, 4kg at a time. I have a LOT of recipes for them. Its only occasionally we have thighs or drumsticks.

For me, chicken breast is used to make chicken sandwiches, chicken salad, and occasionally just roasted, plain, and served with gravy.

I bought a bag of tenders. Hated them. They cost too much and just don't have a lot of flavor. Chicken legs in a 10# bag costs less than $6, makes tons of meals and have lots of flavor.

I did buy a 4 pack of breasts last shopping trip. Skin and bones included. I roasted them (one by one) to get the crispy skin (MMM) then made my first sandwich with sliced warm chicken breast, with lots of mayo and a little bacon, lettuce and tomato. The rest went to chicken salad.

I guess I'll just stick with my TNT methods and know now that chicken thighs aren't a good substitute for chicken breast when breading. They are too moist and make for a soggy breading.

Last edited:
Z, have you ever used Panko bread crumbs? They make all the difference in the world. I too, prefer chicken thighs, and since I discovered Panko crumbs, I have never fail results. Panko breadcrumbs have a coarser texture than ordinary breadcrumbs, and they make for a much lighter and crunchier casserole topping and coating for fried foods. They're especially good for breading seafood and chicken. They used to be kinda hard to find, but now days I've found them right next to normal bread crumbs in the grocery.
Once you've used them, you'll never go back.

No I haven't, but I've put it on my grocery list. All I hear about it is good. I really would like to have the crunch, and don't want the mess and greasiness of frying.

Everything Kayelle said. I love them on deep fried shrimp when I am going for that extra crunch. And that's what I've been using on Laurie's mushroom gratin. They are even available in my small town store now. Good stuff.

I'm really looking forward to trying it. Do you have to add salt? Also, where do you find it in your store?

Back
Top Bottom