Sunday Supper Plans 12-18-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought he would like to stand up. :angel:

View attachment 25877

Nice fishy! Yeah the stinky thing was my dad's complaint. If it isn't done right it can be trouble. Can be a good fish though.

Heck and I've got 3 pounds of eel in my fridge at the moment! I just always feel bad buying bluefish. Like my dad is going to show up and be sad. (he has passed so that is not gonna happen). Dad was more meat and potatoes, my Mom passed on her love of seafood. He was always a good sport but one of his hard boundaries were no bluefish.

The Irish are pretty good fishermen, too! Best fish 'n chips I've ever had were in an Irish pub.

Yes, actually, both sides of my family are great fishermen. I taught my boy the same exact way that my dad taught me: to cast, and tie knots ,and so on. And his dad taught him the same, and again - so on.

My dad and his family used to spend his summers on the west coast of Ireland in Co. Donegal, near Bundoran. They would fish the inlets, and clam at low tide, and collect dulse (seaweed), to dry. And every now and then, my grandfather would get access to a giant seaworthy dory down in Co. Mayo where the waters were calm, and he'd take my father out, rowing this giant rowboat out from the shore to the open sea.

He'd row sol far out that they couldn't see land any longer, which terrified my dad. But then they'd set about fishing for the entire day. and when it got dark, my grandfather would row them directly back to Clew Bay using the moon and stars as his guide, as if he had GPS on board.

So, fishing is in our blood. We love the ocean, but also our mountain lakes.

I thought he would like to stand up. :angel:

View attachment 25877

Thanks. What did you do?

:LOL: I'm sure he feels much better now :ROFLMAO:

Yes, but the fish still doesn't.

Nice fishy! Yeah the stinky thing was my dad's complaint. If it isn't done right it can be trouble. Can be a good fish though.

Heck and I've got 3 pounds of eel in my fridge at the moment! I just always feel bad buying bluefish. Like my dad is going to show up and be sad. (he has passed so that is not gonna happen). Dad was more meat and potatoes, my Mom passed on her love of seafood. He was always a good sport but one of his hard boundaries were no bluefish.

Why not try a Japanese version of BBQ sauced eel, aka unaju? Lots of easy recipes out there. As simple as bbq'ing a thin chicken breast.

Yes, actually, both sides of my family are great fishermen. I taught my boy the same exact way that my dad taught me: to cast, and tie knots ,and so on. And his dad taught him the same, and again - so on.

My dad and his family used to spend his summers on the west coast of Ireland in Co. Donegal, near Bundoran. They would fish the inlets, and clam at low tide, and collect dulse (seaweed), to dry. And every now and then, my grandfather would get access to a giant seaworthy dory down in Co. Mayo where the waters were calm, and he'd take my father out, rowing this giant rowboat out from the shore to the open sea.

He'd row sol far out that they couldn't see land any longer, which terrified my dad. But then they'd set about fishing for the entire day. and when it got dark, my grandfather would row them directly back to Clew Bay using the moon and stars as his guide, as if he had GPS on board.

So, fishing is in our blood. We love the ocean, but also our mountain lakes.

So cool :cool: DH and I went to Ireland for a week in 2003, staying in B&Bs on the west coast. We got as far north as Sligo! :) It's so very beautiful :heart:

...when it got dark, my grandfather would row them directly back to Clew Bay using the moon and stars as his guide, as if he had GPS on board...
Ah, but the stars and constellations are much truer than any GPS. Unlike GPS, there are no human errors in navigation programming or satellite interference. If you know your skies, you can't get lost at night. :huh: Well, unless there is so much cloud cover you can't see a thing up there. :ermm:

just reading the last posts, I thought you guys were rhapsodizing on Stargazey Pie again...

Back
Top Bottom