Tired of our routine chicken entrée

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I caught a Rachel Ray Meals/Food for 5 days (?) show this morning. She took homemade salsa (but jarred would work), added some EVOO and marinated chicken breasts in the salsa (she cooked them on a stove top grill--I'll probably end up cooking them in the oven when I'm at my folks). She also used some of the salsa (without the EVOO) to make a Spanish-style rice. It was super easy re: the time and the ingredients, and looked as if it would be very good. I suspect the recipe is on the Food Network web site. I'd probably serve green beans instead of the black beans and a fresh tossed salad with this. I'm making this for my folks when I'm in MN. It is something my dad could make easily and they always have jarred salsa in the fridge/pantry, chicken breasts in the freezer, and they love Spanish rice.

CWS, the place I go to once a month for my medical care is a daycare center for everyone in the program. The patients that are there permanently, are mostly Alzheimer patients that no longer can stay at home. They have a program for caregiver spouses, mostly males, whose mate no longer can function as the homemaker. They learn how to make meals, make beds, wash their spouses hair, etc. They have a homemaker that comes in and teaches these skills. A lot of the men were totally unaware how much skill was involved in cooking. Open a can or toss something in a pan was their idea of how a meal was prepared. Is there any way your father can have someone like this come in and teach him some homemaking skills?:)

Ok, this would probably be embarrassing if you guys knew me personally but what's chimichurri sauce? I'm betting that I've had it, & just didn't known what it was called.

If you do a web search you will see many variations on this sauce, basically it is a parsley sauce with vinegar garlic and oil. I made mine with.

Equal parts cilantro and parsley
4 cloves garlic
1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1/4 c. EVOO
S+P

Buzz in a food pro till well combined.

It is a raw sauce most often seen drizzled over flank steak which is what I had done this recipe for in the first place, When cooked however, the flavor profile changes and instead of tasting like a vinegar/garlic sauce, it becomes mellow and very tasty. A+ on my recomended tastebud scale.;)

CWS, the place I go to once a month for my medical care is a daycare center for everyone in the program. The patients that are there permanently, are mostly Alzheimer patients that no longer can stay at home. They have a program for caregiver spouses, mostly males, whose mate no longer can function as the homemaker. They learn how to make meals, make beds, wash their spouses hair, etc. They have a homemaker that comes in and teaches these skills. A lot of the men were totally unaware how much skill was involved in cooking. Open a can or toss something in a pan was their idea of how a meal was prepared. Is there any way your father can have someone like this come in and teach him some homemaking skills?:)
They don't have that kind of program where my folks are....I've been on the phone countless hours with the county extension office, etc., trying to find such a place. I even talked with a friend who runs the community ed programs at the high school and offered to "teach" a class while I'm there on basic cooking. The county doesn't have the funds for such a thing. I'll try again. I maybe could get the Sons of Norway to do something like that at the language village...I hadn't thought of that until now.

They don't have that kind of program where my folks are....I've been on the phone countless hours with the county extension office, etc., trying to find such a place. I even talked with a friend who runs the community ed programs at the high school and offered to "teach" a class while I'm there on basic cooking. The county doesn't have the funds for such a thing. I'll try again. I maybe could get the Sons of Norway to do something like that at the language village...I hadn't thought of that until now.

Sooner or later, this country is going to have to face the fact that there are going to be thousands of elderly patients who have Alzheimers Disease. It can't be ignored for too long. I see it every time I go to Winthrop. More than 50% of their patients have Alzheimers. It is a disease that destroys families. Children have moved away, (like yourself) the local government does not have the funds to provide services, and until it strikes home, the public has no idea how hideous this disease is. The one I feel the worst for is the remaining spouse. It is so painful to see someone they have spent more than 50 years with, not even know them. I will never stop wishing I could make their world better. :chef:

If you do a web search you will see many variations on this sauce, basically it is a parsley sauce with vinegar garlic and oil. I made mine with.

4 cloves garlic
1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1/4 c. EVOO
S+P

It is a raw sauce most often seen drizzled over flank steak which is what I had done this recipe for in the first place, When cooked however, the flavor profile changes and instead of tasting like a vinegar/garlic sauce, it becomes mellow and very tasty. A+ on my recommended taste bud scale.;)

My daughter makes chimichurri wraps with chicken breasts. I hate white meat and she has finally stopped asking me if I want any. I love the sauce, but not the tortilla wrapped things. :chef:

Just quick note. My computer automatically corrects spelling for me. So if you see a correction in your post that I am responding to, it wasn't me. It was my computer.

I do a mushroom Swiss chicken that the family likes. I mix a can of cream of mushroom soup (undiluted) with the same amount of sour cream. Lay the chicken in a baking dish. Layer Swiss cheese on top of the chicken (sliced or shredded either one works) then "frost" with the mushroom-sour cream mix. Bake until chicken is done (I usually use breasts and bake for an hour at 350°F). The sauce is good over rice or mashed potatoes.

Addie said:

PolishedTopaz said:

4 cloves garlic
1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1/4 c. EVOO
S+P

It is a raw sauce most often seen drizzled over flank steak which is what I had done this recipe for in the first place, When cooked however, the flavor profile changes and instead of tasting like a vinegar/garlic sauce, it becomes mellow and very tasty. A+ on my recomended tastebud scale.;)

This sounds similar to a drizzling sauce I make.

1 bunch of cilantro chopped in a qt jar
3 cloves of crushed garlic added to
Juice of 2 or 3 limes
EVOO to fill the jar and salt to taste

FluffyAngel said:
This sounds similar to a drizzling sauce I make.

1 bunch of cilantro chopped in a qt jar
3 cloves of crushed garlic added to
Juice of 2 or 3 limes
EVOO to fill the jar and salt to taste

I didn't quite finish - just put all ingredients in the jar, and shake to mix. I drizzle over nearly anything with meat or especially good on beans. Of coarse I could make a salad using cilantro as the lettuce I love it so much.

works for chicken parts on the bone or whole chicken spatchcocked open flat. Works in oven at 375* or on the bbq grill

cup dry white wine (vermouth is good), TSP each dried rosemary taragon parsley, garlic powder. mix together and pour over chicken to marinate (1/2 hour is good) arrange on roasting pan or place on grill, S and P to taste. Baste with marinade trwice in the first 20 min. and drizzle some in the pan. After than brush with pan drippings if you like.

should be done in 35-45 min (perhaps an hour for the whole spatchcocked bird depending on size.)

pan drippings make a nice gravy

Robo410 said:
works for chicken parts on the bone or whole chicken spatchcocked open flat. Works in oven at 375* or on the bbq grill

cup dry white wine (vermouth is good), TSP each dried rosemary taragon parsley, garlic powder. mix together and pour over chicken to marinate (1/2 hour is good) arrange on roasting pan or place on grill, S and P to taste. Baste with marinade trwice in the first 20 min. and drizzle some in the pan. After than brush with pan drippings if you like.

should be done in 35-45 min (perhaps an hour for the whole spatchcocked bird depending on size.)

pan drippings make a nice gravy

WOW! That sounds amazing! Love the Rosemary, tarragon, parsley, garlic combo.

With all these great suggestions I might have to reconsider my feelings about chicken and get to work.

How "different" do you want? I have a really great recipe for chicken and prune and chicken tagine or sofrito. Let me know if you are interested - I will whip out my recipe book.

Siegal said:
How "different" do you want? I have a really great recipe for chicken and prune and chicken tagine or sofrito. Let me know if you are interested - I will whip out my recipe book.

We're not really prune fans, but tell me about the other 2: tagine & sofrito dishes. Never heard of those.

Tagine is just a Moroccan cooking method. I had a good recipe for a prune one - but I know - the word prune turns everyone off. I see a lot of recipes now call for "dried plums."

Sofrito is a Ladino/sephardi dish. Its super easy - put chicken in slow cooker or in a slow oven, add a few large onion roughly chopped, about 1/2 of a head of garlic peeled, potato cubes (roasted previously so they do not fall apart), then add salt, pepper, paprika, turmeric, allspice and some cumin. Add some stock and let it cook for like 6 hours. Its soooo good. Try not to stir. Serve with rice or couscous

I sautee my chicken pieces with onions, bell peppers and stewed tomatoes. Add some garlic and a dash of cumin. Separate chicken from bone and shred with veggies included. On a lightly oiled pan, heat corn tortillas, add the shredded chicken with veggies to each tortilla, top with Mexican blend cheese, fold tortillas like a taco or roll up like a flauta. Continue to heat through until crispy or desired consistency. Top with lettuce, tomato, guacamole and sour cream. Add "Cholula" hot sauce in the chicken!!! And VOILA! You have an amazing dinner for under $10 that serves 4-5. This is one of my family's favorites!

Fried chicken "lollipops" with a lemony plum sauce

Tandoori legs

Fricasee legs

Sauteed with mushrooms

Miso marinated and grilled

Boned and marinated in pesto or anything else.

Boned and stuffed with seafood stuffing or other

40 clove garlic legs

Honey mustard

Blackened cajun style

Smoked and added to beans

Lemon,oregano,thyme,oil,pepper (Greek)

Paella

Morrocan Tangines

Make a confit and use in many ways

Curried chicken

Empanadas

Enchiladas

Taquitos,Sopas, Tortas, Caldo de Pollo,Diablo,Nachos

Sweet and sour

White chili

Fried with waffles

Stir fried with eggplant,onion and hoisin (boned and chopped)

Shwarma (love that)

Salt and pepper asian style.

Flambe with cognac,cream and pepper

Soup with dumplings

Soup with veg

soup with beans

Cream of soup

I am going for the Bubba from Forest Gump Thing................

Tangerine or orange marinated

With a Hunter sauce

Chicken hash

Pho

Chicken fried rice or chow mein or chow fun

Pistachio encrusted and oven baked

Almond chicken

Cashew chicken

Chicken foo young

Good Night!.......................

Last edited:
Back