"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-13-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Trader Joe's Bargains

Well, they've just opened a Trader Joe's here that is conveniently located on my way home from work.

Did a test trip today and got some maple syrup, dried blueberries for HH, and a little Cointreau liqueur cake that I'm gonna make a nice chocolate sauce for.

Some of the prices seemed comparable to the local Safeway and others much too pricey for what you get. I realize TJ's has a more interesting and eclectic selection.

But for regular-type trips, what do you TJ fans recommend as good buys compared to the regular mega-mart?

Old 11-13-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Head Chef

- Cheeses, especially the imported ones
- Nuts, all kinds
- Olive oil (I get the Kalamata)
- Those big squares of chocolate that are broken from a much larger piece (for Dad)
- Moo Cream (body moisturizer)
- cat treats (vet says they are more healthy)
- And garlic-stuffed olives, which everyone in my family is addicted to

I used to get maple syrup there, since they have a better price than the supermarkets, but I discovered that Christmas Tree shops have real maple syrup for a dollar less than TJ's.

The dried blueberries are excellent. I've been using them in baked oatmeal.

There is a cheap wine there that is nicknamed "Three Buck Chuck" or something like that. I tried several varieties of it, but it's far too watery and weak for me.

Lee

Old 11-13-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, Q - their cheese selection did look pretty scrumptious. The wine is called Two Buck Chuck, but apparently it's called something else here because there was none for sale for two dollah.

BTW, the place was packed. Must have been a lot of TJ fans waiting for this one to open. People were pushing carts heaped with stuff up to the registers.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Head Chef

I'm a big fan of the prepared pizza crust and also a good bargin is the better than boullion. Around my parts, TJ has the best price for this. Go down the snack aisle, they have good snacks! The TJ label dairy products is also good. Their milk is BST free, which is the growth hormone.

And their free range whole chicken is also a good price (at least around my parts). I believe it's organic too. Can you tell I love TJs and have done my price comparisons?
Old 11-13-2005, 04:27 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Exactly the kind of input I was looking for, htc (you too, Q).

I'm kinda leaning toward the dried cherries for a pie or something, along with some of that yummy looking cheese and probably a loaf of whole grain bread or two for starters.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
Executive Chef

My dd used to send me artisan breads when she was in California before we had them here. She sent lots of other things. I'll have to think what they were. that has been almost 10 years ago.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Actually, licia, I've been getting artisan bread at Panera's lately, but will have to do a price comparison. Or carve out some time and attempt it myself.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:37 PM   #8
Executive Chef

That is where I get it sometimes now, but we had no Panera's then and the grocery stores didn't have it. Also BJ's has very good bread if you need a large quantity of it(like 3 loaves at the time). At Panera I can get one at the time - and different size loaves, so I don't lose any.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:41 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

We go to Costco instead of BJs (both are here) and Costco makes a pretty decent garlic loaf, but had none when we were there this a.m.

We love bread too much in this house to risk having 3 loaves of good bread at a time. It would be gone in a heartbeat.......
Old 11-13-2005, 05:54 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
we have a trader joe's near here but I never shop there. the local supermarket is a high end chain called Kings. they have at least as eclectic a selection as trader joe's and the prices, while still high, are better.