What are you having for a snack, right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just having some coffee left over from this morning. Doesn't taste too good but... I'm drinking it anyway.

Cadbury Mini Eggs...I can only get them at Easter so I stock up when they go on sale after. I just bought 11 of the individual bags(1.5oz) today. That should last me about 2 days!:rolleyes:

Those are one of my favorites. Crewsk! Those and the cream filled ones. DH usually gets me some for Easter but must have forgotten this year. :mad:

I'm actually eating a late lunch right now--chicken and broccoli and white rice.

Our first Easter together, hubby filled a basket full of Cadbury stuff for me(there were mini eggs, the cream filled ones, 3 of the milk chocolate bars, & 3 of the caramel chocolate bars). I was in heaven!! He has never done that again though.:( I just go to the stores after Easter & stock up & hide them from the kids now. They get plenty of candy without having to get into my stash!:rolleyes: I have to be careful though. If I get a big bag of the mini eggs, I'll sit & make myself sick eating the whole bag.:blush:

DH did something similar for me our first Easter, too. A basket with a big bottle of champagne, all kinds of chocolate, a book. This year I was just told that shouldn't expect anything for Easter! Looks like we need to get these guys back in line! :bangin:

crewsk said:
Our first Easter together, hubby filled a basket full of Cadbury stuff for me(there were mini eggs, the cream filled ones, 3 of the milk chocolate bars, & 3 of the caramel chocolate bars). I was in heaven!! He has never done that again though.:( I just go to the stores after Easter & stock up & hide them from the kids now. They get plenty of candy without having to get into my stash!:rolleyes: I have to be careful though. If I get a big bag of the mini eggs, I'll sit & make myself sick eating the whole bag.:blush:
Hi Crewsk, haven;t been around for a time. Glad to see you still here and a site helper :) I'm snacking on leftover homemade foccacia, stuffed onions and cashew rocca.. I hope this post only come up once, it's been awhile for me and I'm not remembering all that is needed to post. Enjoy your Cadbury goodis :)
kadesma

I'm munching my way through a bowl of strawberries. They were 2 for 1 this week at the store and are surprisingly good considering they're not local in-season ones yet.

Right now Im really craving a few slices of my port wine processed cheese I have in the fridge but Im just not THAT hungry so Im holding out for an hour or so. The stuff is great btw... a local super market got tons for X-mass and they didint sell so they are now like 99c a pack... each pack is at least like 8oz of cheese. We where joking that it's just as cheap to melt the cheddar procesed log to make mac and cheese. Only one problem is that they are rolled in toasted wallnuts and Im not a nut fan.

my son's leftover birthday cake, and a pot of earl grey. he was 1 the other day. it's a strawberry shortcake with marshmallow icing, the icing is awesome. what are marshmallow made of (just whipped gelatin and sugar?) and why are they called "marsh" mallows?

Bucky, give your boy a big birthday hug for me! The last year must feel like it flew by for you and your wife!

Marshmallows originally were made using an ingredient from the marshmallow plant (a type of mallow plant found in marshes, hence the creative name!). I think it was the sap; it's stickiness has since been replaced with corn syrup and gelatin.

Here's a recipe that I had on file for marshmallows:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon gelatin
2 tablespoons cold water
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Make the marshmallows: Combine the water, the corn syrup, and the sugar in a saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer. Bring to a boil and boil to "soft-ball" stage, or about 235 degrees F.

Meanwhile, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. Sprinkle the gelatin over the 2 tablespoons water and let sponge.

When the syrup reaches 235 degrees F, remove it from the heat, add the gelatin, and mix. Pour the syrup into the whipped egg whites. Add the vanilla and continue whipping until stiff. Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper then sprinkle it with powdered sugar. Pour the marshmallow onto the pan and spread it out. Let cool about 2 hours then with a pair of scissors dipped in cornstarch, cut into desired shapes.

thanks pab and pdswife. it's been a very fast, exhausting, tough year, but 1 tiny hug and a "dad-dad-dad" from him, and it's all worth it.

Back
Top Bottom