What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2 slices of 9 grain bread, 1 with butter and black cherry fruit spread, the second with almond butter, coffee (cream & sugar), V-8 juice.

Lunch today will be provided by my boss, her way of apologizing for being gone for three weeks.

SB has to lose the weight, her life depends on it. Eating a breakfast that has protein, greens/fruit, and whole grains would be a whole lot better than eating packaged foods--whether those packaged foods are cereals, pop-tarts, etc. I want SB to succeed and lose the weight and change her eating habits.

Skipping breakfast translates to eating about 20% more food throughout the day. People who exercise earn more money. Load up on the protein in the morning and you will be less hungry. A daily serving of plain yogurt is a great way to do it. And, not reading labels, one can gain 9 lb per year just because one doesn't read the labels.

SB has to lose the weight, her life depends on it. Eating a breakfast that has protein, greens/fruit, and whole grains would be a whole lot better than eating packaged foods--whether those packaged foods are cereals, pop-tarts, etc. I want SB to succeed and lose the weight and change her eating habits.

Skipping breakfast translates to eating about 20% more food throughout the day. People who exercise earn more money. Load up on the protein in the morning and you will be less hungry. A daily serving of plain yogurt is a great way to do it. And, not reading labels, one can gain 9 lb per year just because one doesn't read the labels.

I get it, CWS. But she's an adult and can make her own choices. I know you want to be supportive, but from here, it feels like nagging, which usually backfires.

Sorry, I don't mean to nag. I know that changing my breakfast eating (not eating) habits, cutting out bread and white sugar meant I shrunk 2 dress sizes in 2 months. It was so easy. The only problem now is that all my jeans slide off and I can't afford new jeans!

I was, in my earlier years, arrogant about my ability to eat anything and not gain weight. I scoffed at the "nuts" who said you have to eat whole grains, limit sugar, and eat healthy food in general. I was immune to health issues that others had, or so I thought. My idea of a diet soda was to drink half a glass of full sugar root beer. Then, it all caught up with me. I learned about the importance of good nutrition. I learned that Captain Crunch could kill me. Over the years, since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I watched DW's oldest broth die of diabetic complications. I watched one of my best childhood friends die of diabetic complications. They didn't control what they ate, and figured that leaving the skins on when mashing the potatoes was good enough.

Diet is far more important than most people realize. It's the difference between a good life, and a life riddled with pain, and the inability to do the things you want to do, like stick around for the grandkids.

Food related illness is epidemic in this nation, because we've been taught to eat unhealthy by those who profit from selling the unhealthy garbage to everyone who they can con into buying it.

There are scientists in the major food organizations whose job it is to, for all practical purposes, make food just shy of addicting, by adding those things we naturally, or unaturally crave, such as fats, sugars, and starches. And the fats and sugars aren't even ones that have any nutritional value. They use the cheapest they can find to maximize profit.

I've been listening to too much NPR radio lately. And beyond that, I've seen how short term profits outweigh virtually every other aspect of our society. If someone can legally get away with taking short cuts, healthy or not, to maximize profits, they will.

And so I echo CWS4322. I wish someone could have gotten through to me when I was young enough that it would have made a difference. But then again, GotGarlic certainly has a point. Nagging just makes most of us rebel, even against things that will benefit us.

I said it last week, somewhere in this thread, we love to cook, we know how to cook, we know about nutrition, and still we eat things that slowly drag us down a path that leads to sorrow and pain. I've seen and experienced that pain first hand, with my BIL, and one of my best friends. I hope my children never have to experience because I did stupid things with my diet.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Creamed asparugus and eggs goldenrod over toast points. Flavored with a little yellow curry :yum:

Attachments

• Creamed asparagus eggs goldenrod.jpg
    Creamed asparagus eggs goldenrod.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 191
Dr. Oz yesterday afternoon had a guest who has written a book on our addiction to sugar, fat and salt. He feels it is deliberate on the part of many in the food 'industry' to fatten their profits with no thought to the consumer's well-being. He thinks potato chips are the worst -- I guess fried potatoes for breakfast fit the description, too, since their starch converts to sugars in our bodies.

I'm trying to wean myself off just cereal and milk for breakfast; have been having an egg instead, sometimes fried in whatever oil & fond that may be left in a frying pan from last night's chop or whatever. Still need to incorporate greens, like CWS -- who's setting a high bar for morning starters.

I'm having two hard boiled eggs, broccoli, cauliflower, and tea this morning.:yum:

Dr. Oz yesterday afternoon had a guest who has written a book on our addiction to sugar, fat and salt. He feels it is deliberate on the part of many in the food 'industry' to fatten their profits with no thought to the consumer's well-being. He thinks potato chips are the worst -- I guess fried potatoes for breakfast fit the description, too, since their starch converts to sugars in our bodies.

I'm trying to wean myself off just cereal and milk for breakfast; have been having an egg instead, sometimes fried in whatever oil & fond that may be left in a frying pan from last night's chop or whatever. Still need to incorporate greens, like CWS -- who's setting a high bar for morning starters.

That book is the one showcased on the PBS radio program I was listening to. The author makes a compelling case for his ideas.

Tin Lizzsie, you are doing yourself a favor, not eating the high fat, high carb breakfasts that we have been taught to eat since the advertising and big food business juggernautrs convinced us to eat what they produce.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It was a segment on Dr. Oz's show that twigged for me. The guest pointed out that NA eating habits were an upside-down pyramid and to change that by flipping the pyramid and eating veggies-protein-carbs in the morning and for lunch and to eat the smallest meal of the day in the evening. It works for me. I don't always get the carbs in, but I do eat protein and veggies for breakfast every day. And, I cut out bread and white sugar (I still splurge once in awhile, but don't keep bread in the house and don't use sugar).

I was in the mood to cook something for my roommate & I this weekend. I decided to make some pancakes from scratch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJeM6BVJJqY

How many burners do you have? American Chop Suey. Three ingredients. About one quarter pound of hamburg, some elbow pasta and a can of American tomatoes broken up. Saute the hamburg, season to taste, cook the elbows and add the tomatoes and hamburg to the elbows. Stir well and eat.

Instant Corn Chowder. A can of cream style corn, a can of sliced potatoes, some bacon slices and a can of evaporated milk. Saute the bacon and dice into small pieces, add the can of milk, with a half can of water, potatoes and the creamed corn. Stir and heat to just a simmer. Serve with Oysterettes crackers. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom