Sunday supper, 2023 September 17, what did you eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All of this description of the eye fillet makes sense as tenderloin, until we get to the part that bone in it is called a Scotch fillet. Isn't the bone attached to the tenderloin the T-bone? As I understand it a T-bone steak has tenderloin on one side and rib eye on the other.
IT is the T-bone. But it's tenderloin on one side and sirloin on the other.

@taxlady - I agree, but this was part of the conversation that I had with the butcher yesterday. I think he may have been the apprentice. Scotch Fillet doesn’t have bone in, to my knowledge. But he insisted that it does. I then pointed out that the ones he had in the cabinet didn’t have any bone, but by then I was just beyond wanting to continue the conversation so just got him to cut me what I know as eye fillet. It’s not Scotch without the bone, as he was trying to convince me.

IT is the T-bone. But it's tenderloin on one side and sirloin on the other.
I might be confused about what the other side of the bone from the tenderloin is called. But, sirloin? So I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently, in Commonwealth countries it is called sirloin, but in the US it's called strip steak. That bone is part of the backbone with rib attached. I have never really understood how that works. Every picture of beef cuts I have ever seen, the tenderloin is too far below the back bone to possibly have any back bone attached. I suspect it may have to do with the way those charts are drawn.

You can probably see why I felt like the entire conversation was the meat lovers version of Who’s On First?
When I worked in kitchens in the 90’s, we called it tenderloin. Then I found blank stares when I asked for it in the butcher. It was called eye fillet, I was informed.
So, yesterday, when the whole discussion evolved, I went with it, thinking perhaps the butchers had redefined it yet again.
As mentioned, I think the butcher who served me may have been the apprentice, but deferred to his knowledge for at least a short time. Here’s me, thinking I know my cuts of beef, but entertaining the idea that names may have changed over time.

All of this description of the eye fillet makes sense as tenderloin, until we get to the part that bone in it is called a Scotch fillet. Isn't the bone attached to the tenderloin the T-bone? As I understand it a T-bone steak has tenderloin on one side and rib eye on the other.
In the US, with a porterhouse or t-bone streak, one side is the strip and the other side is filet mignon. Ribeye is a completely different cut.

Here's better explanation:

Last edited:
In the US, with a porterhouse or t-bone streak, one side is the strip and the other side is filet mignon. Ribeye is a completely different cut.

Here's better explanation:
Yeah, I already mentioned that the other side of the T-bone is the strip steak in the US. I think I will need a three dimensional model to really understand where the tenderloin is on the animal. Funny thing is that I have actually helped butcher an entire moose and we separated the tenderloin from the rest of the meat because, well because of course. But, that was about 40 years ago, so I don't remember those details. i do clearly remember that even the ground meat on that moose was chewy. It was also a bugger to grind it with a hand powered meat grinder.

Yeah, I already mentioned that the other side of the T-bone is the strip steak in the US. I think I will need a three dimensional model to really understand where the tenderloin is on the animal. Funny thing is that I have actually helped butcher an entire moose and we separated the tenderloin from the rest of the meat because, well because of course. But, that was about 40 years ago, so I don't remember those details. i do clearly remember that even the ground meat on that moose was chewy. It was also a bugger to grind it with a hand powered meat grinder.
Yes but you said a ribeye is on the other side and it's not. It's tenderloin and strip separated by the bone.
beef-cuts.jpg

There are 3 (maybe 4) very important facts to consider when categorizing beef (or any 4 legged) cuts.
Who is doing the cutting.
How it is being cut.
Who is drawing the chart.
Where the cutting is taking place.
When the cutting took place.

There's the 4 W's. Who, Who, Where, When and a How thrown in.

:whistling who :whistling what :whistling where :whistlingwhen :whistlinghow

4 most important questions to be answered in detective journalism, according to my High School typing teacher (1959/60)

Yes but you said a ribeye is on the other side and it's not. It's tenderloin and strip separated by the bone.
View attachment 66102
You missed the post where I corrected myself.
I might be confused about what the other side of the bone from the tenderloin is called. But, sirloin? So I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently, in Commonwealth countries it is called sirloin, but in the US it's called strip steak. That bone is part of the backbone with rib attached. I have never really understood how that works. Every picture of beef cuts I have ever seen, the tenderloin is too far below the back bone to possibly have any back bone attached. I suspect it may have to do with the way those charts are drawn.

Dragnlaw's post reminded me how different Danish cuts of meat can be from North American cuts. I suddenly remembered the weird looking lambchops that you can buy in Denmark. As far as I can tell, a lambchop is the T-bone on a lamb. Looking at this picture of one Danish style of lambchops, it seems that they are each two of what I usually think of as a lambchop, but not separated at the spine. If that is correct, then I think I understand much better about the T-bone on beef. I guess strip steak is the loin on beef, similar to pork loin.

Lammkottlett.jpg

Dragnlaw's post reminded me how different Danish cuts of meat can be from North American cuts. I suddenly remembered the weird looking lambchops that you can buy in Denmark. As far as I can tell, a lambchop is the T-bone on a lamb. Looking at this picture of one Danish style of lambchops, it seems that they are each two of what I usually think of as a lambchop, but not separated at the spine. If that is correct, then I think I understand much better about the T-bone on beef. I guess strip steak is the loin on beef, similar to pork loin.

Lammkottlett.jpg
If you cut one of those chops in half, you'd have two T-Bones of lamb.

Well, my little dish has opened a can of tendons 🤣
Regardless, my little hacked out pieces of flesh were delicious! It’s the only cut I ever use for seared steak in the Jade household, and we both love the creamy juiciness of it.
MrJade has his just beyond medium rare, while I prefer mine with the bell still around its neck. 🫠

Well, my little dish has opened a can of tendons 🤣
Regardless, my little hacked out pieces of flesh were delicious! It’s the only cut I ever use for seared steak in the Jade household, and we both love the creamy juiciness of it.
MrJade has his just beyond medium rare, while I prefer mine with the bell still around its neck. 🫠
I prefer my steak medium rare these days, but I used to enjoy them blue. I was once in a resto in Newfoundland and someone looked at my steak and said, "Quick, get the vet! I think he can save it." :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom