"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-16-2005, 09:30 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
wild rice sausage pecan
Do you put that in your turkey or as a side dish? I was just wondering because I though rice might get too mushy in the bird. I love the idea of sausage and pecan with the rice.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:34 PM   #12
Senior Cook

My mom makes the best oyster dressing I've ever had. I tried to make it from her recipe but it's never the same. She says it's all in the love that goes into it. Personally I think she left something out , on purpose.

Old 11-17-2005, 04:48 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Here's mine. I made it for the first time last year but my mom has been making it for as long as I can remember.

Sage Dressing

6C crumbled cornbread
6C. crumbled biscuits
1/2 to 1C. chopped onion
6tsp. sage
1/2tsp. pepper
1/2 stick margarine, melted
3 to 6C chicken broth
1C. chopped celery(optional)
2-3tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten

Mix all ingredients well. Bake in greased pan at 350F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #14
Head Chef

Thanksgiving is when I break out the bread machine for the winter ... I bake off a loaf about a week ahead of time and let half of it sit and dry then chop it up and use it in my dressing. I don't stuff our bird simply because the thought grosses me out. ick.

I combine ...
1/2 of a loaf of dried, chopped bread
browned pork sausage
sauted onion, celery and garlic
a mixture of equal parts chicken broth and heavy cream just to moisten

Season with tyme, salt and pepper then bake until "set".

This is the first recipe where I understood when my mom says to cook by "feel".

:) JMediger
Old 11-17-2005, 11:51 PM   #15
Master Chef

My personal favorite is an oyster dressing. I use the Pepperidge Farm herbed bread stuff from a bag (small bag), too, and then add onions, celery, button mushrooms which are sliced and rough chopped - sauteed in butter, and a pint of rough chopped oysters. For liquid, I use the oyster liquor and top it off with water to make up the balance of what I need.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:06 AM   #16
Head Chef

We usually just use the stuff out of the box. Sometimes we add some celery and onions, but that's about it.

I'm happy as long as I get a big chunk of the crusty part, and there a bunch of gravy to pour over it.

John
Old 11-18-2005, 10:52 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I like almost any kind of stuffing, but partial to apples, raisins, walnuts, celery and onions. Another favorite is Oyster dressing. I have not tried making the latter, but found a variety of quick 'n ez recipes (I might give the 'New England Oyster' a try).

http://www.thanksgivingtips.com/recipes/dresreci.htm

Last night I watched Giada prepare ciabatta stuffing with chestnuts and pancetta that looks very tempting:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._29172,00.html

A few new methods on the 'to do' list - making the stuffing in muffin tins or using an ice cream scoop and baking them on a baking tray.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:51 PM   #18
Senior Cook

'paxo' Sage and Onion stuffing (a British tradition). Bread sauce (thick white sauce made from bread, milk, onions, S&P then blended smooth - another British tradition). Small sausages made with pork & sage sausagemeat and wrapped in bacon before baking. Hubby likes mint sauce with turkey, and of course cranberry sauce with port.

paint.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:11 AM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
My mom makes a very basic, yet very yummy stuffing. I'll going to be giving it a go this year, sans the onion. Mrs. Big Dog doesn't like onions.

White Bread
Butter
Salt
Pepper
Poultry Seasoning
Onion

That's all the ingredients. She stuffs the bird cold, so the stuffing cooks the whole time the bird in is the oven. Fabulously wonderful delicious!
Old 11-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint
'paxo' Sage and Onion stuffing (a British tradition). Bread sauce (thick white sauce made from bread, milk, onions, S&P then blended smooth - another British tradition). Small sausages made with pork & sage sausagemeat and wrapped in bacon before baking. Hubby likes mint sauce with turkey, and of course cranberry sauce with port.

paint.
Paxo stuffing - I don't buy it myself, but a couple of my friends do - one adds extra sage and a little finely diced celery to it and then it tastes wonderful!

I have to make bread sauce whenever we have a roast chicken, as well as Christmas dinner for my husband - but he's the only one who eats it.

Chipolatas wrapped in bacon - YUM!