What is your favourite fall/winter comfort food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favourite fall/winter comfort food?

• Soups

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Stews/Chili

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Roasted/Braised Meats

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Harvested Veggies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pastas

• Casseroles

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Fresh Baked Bread (and other baked goods)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Hot Beverages (hot chocolate, tea, cider, etc)

• Grilled Foods (indoor and outdoor)

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Bourbon and other (please post specifics)

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You better believe it I do!! ~~~ I've been balking at mediocre/not very meaty short ribs for $4..99 lb however....:ermm:

Sorry to hear that. Thank heavens we have a mom-and-pop butcher shop here that has awesome short ribs (really meaty and trimmed nicely) for less than that. I'd send you some if I could. Still...you might HAVE to make an exception.:LOL:

oh, maidrite & barb! i MISSED yins!
We missed you too! Speaking of comfort food, I would love to spend another evening with you guys eating one of those sandwiches at Primanti Bros. Yum! Of course, the company was even better. :cool:

:)Barbara

Good move, Uncle Bob. I'm with you.

All the choices are so tempting, but I especially like hearty soups and stews. And, as kadesma said, I can't think of a big steamy bowl of soup without some crusty homemade bread. Man, oh man, I'm craving soup all of a sudden.

One of my choices during the fall and winter is a dish of braised short ribs that practically makes me want to crawl into the casserole as they cook. Yummy.

If you'll put 40 cloves of garlic in there...I'll crawl in with ya!!!:chef:

:LOL:

I use bourbon to make my ribs.

Gosh, I don't really cook by seasons. Chili in July, salads in January... it's all good.
so I picked what I like best.... at least right now, LOL

We missed you too! Speaking of comfort food, I would love to spend another evening with you guys eating one of those sandwiches at Primanti Bros. Yum! Of course, the company was even better. :cool:

:)Barbara

we don't need to meet there, just somewhere. i missed yins!

For the favorite, two spring to mind--pot roast and lamb shank stew. I went with the braises once I realized that stew is a braise too! Pork chops with sauerkraut and mash are another favorite. Breads? Yes, but they're part of the main dish experience.

Oooooo Bourbon has been added to the list!!!! Gonna make my Grand Mother's White Fruit Cake this year...actually the recipe makes two...Gotta get busy!! Bourbon is in the batter, and you have to "season" it along with bourbon to "cure" it.....

Oooooo Bourbon has been added to the list!!!! Gonna make my Grand Mother's White Fruit Cake this year...actually the recipe makes two...Gotta get busy!! Bourbon is in the batter, and you have to "season" it along with bourbon to "cure" it.....

Sounds wonderful, Uncle Bob. Post your recipe if you can or PM it to me. I live in the land of bourbon.

The only Bourbon recipe I have is for my BBQ sauce. But I do make my Mom's butter tart recipe every year and it calls for a hefty amount of dark rum! Her fruitcake was soaked in brandy but I don't make that one very often.

Chilli con carne with beans, topped with a generous amount of diced white onion, shredded sharp cheddar cheese and a large dallop of Sour Cream. Wisconsin dairy products of course.

Back
Top Bottom