"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Master Chef

What's cooking Wednesday, September 9, 2009?

still no clue. it's my younger daughters first day of school. so she is off and now it is time to have a cup of coffee and figure out whats for dinner/supper.

whats cooking at your house?

Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
Master Chef

Old 09-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I'm thinking Mexican Lasagne tonight with homemade refried beans... good leftover generator for work lunches and.. I haven't made it in ages!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeniek View Post
I'm thinking Mexican Lasagne tonight with homemade refried beans... good leftover generator for work lunches and.. I haven't made it in ages!
how do you make it?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I use flour or corn tortillas in place of lasagne noodles then I saute an onion, a mix of red and green peppers, a green onion or two and some zucchini. Sometimes I add ground beef cooked with cumin, coriander, cracked peppercorns and epazote, and sometimes I make it all veggie and don't use the beef. I use a can (or 2 cups homemade) of refried beans mixed with some salsa and about 2 cups of grated monterry jack cheese (and a mix of cheddar and mozzarella works well too if you don't have the jack cheese) I make it in a loaf pan so what I do is cut the tortillas to fit the pan (and either compost the waste or save them for tortilla soup) and I have to say you need to either butter or spray the pan with food release as tortillas stick like mad... on the bottom I put a little salsa, then the tortilla, on top of that I put the meat mixed with refried beans or just the refried beans.. and if you're going to mix the meat into the beans make sure you add some salsa into the mix to keep it moist , then veggies, a little more salsa and then cheese and I repeat that sequence(including the salsa) until the pan is full. I cover it, bake it at 350F until it's bubbing and the cheese is melted.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeniek View Post
I use flour or corn tortillas in place of lasagne noodles then I saute an onion, a mix of red and green peppers, a green onion or two and some zucchini. Sometimes I add ground beef cooked with cumin, coriander, cracked peppercorns and epazote, and sometimes I make it all veggie and don't use the beef. I use a can (or 2 cups homemade) of refried beans mixed with some salsa and about 2 cups of grated monterry jack cheese (and a mix of cheddar and mozzarella works well too if you don't have the jack cheese) I make it in a loaf pan so what I do is cut the tortillas to fit the pan (and either compost the waste or save them for tortilla soup) and I have to say you need to either butter or spray the pan with food release as tortillas stick like mad... on the bottom I put a little salsa, then the tortilla, on top of that I put the meat mixed with refried beans or just the refried beans.. and if you're going to mix the meat into the beans make sure you add some salsa into the mix to keep it moist , then veggies, a little more salsa and then cheese and I repeat that sequence(including the salsa) until the pan is full. I cover it, bake it at 350F until it's bubbing and the cheese is melted.
sounds interesting. sounds a bit like a mexican pizza with many layers.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Sous Chef

not sure. either beef stroganoff or something with chicken. either way I need to get on it and get something out of the freezer to thaw!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
sounds interesting. sounds a bit like a Mexican pizza with many layers.
Yes it does. Sounds good though. Does it nuke well the next day?
I have a RR recipe for Mexican Pizza, kinda, that I use. Really quite tasty. Got it long before her "hit it big".
Old 09-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
Yes it does. Sounds good though. Does it nuke well the next day?
I have a RR recipe for Mexican Pizza, kinda, that I use. Really quite tasty. Got it long before her "hit it big".
sounds great!! it probably would nuke but would start out soggy than when the moisture evaped from the tortillas after the nuke it would get hard. probably would be better to heat a pan and spray with oil. put the lasagna in, spritz with water (just to get it a bit steamy and heat through to middle of a dense piece of food) and cover for a few minutes just till warm.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Master Chef

i think dinner will be shell steak, veggies and rice.

maybe