"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #51
Assistant Cook

It was cold with freezing rain today in good ol' Ohio - I made a killer pot of Chicken Tortilla soup and served it with corn tortilla strips and fresh cheese and onion quesadilla's - yum!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
Well, I just found out I'm not on my own.
I'm going to find some recipe or just throw something together, using Chorizo sausage, sliced bell pepper and spaghetti. I'll probably make a creamy sauce.

I'm giving my sweetie, just spaghetti, plain sauce, spinach salad with honey-mustard dressing... bread-n-butter. His stomach can't handle anything spicy.

I'll post pictures later.
Here was my dinner. Mark just had the spaghetti, but the spinach salad was his. Buckytom told me to use the peppers on the salad, but I love peppers with pasta. So, I gave Mark carrots on his salad instead and made a terrific dressing with just alittle EVOO, yellow mustard and honey. The cheese I used in my creamy pasta sauce was Havarti--that is all I had on hand. That is one of the yummmmiest cheeses! It really made for a delicious sauce! And, the Chorizo started off in cubes, but lost their shape during cooking.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #53
Head Chef

Turns out I didn't make the chicken stew...I'm in the midst of preparation for a big dinner today - we have several friends who share January birthdays with us, and I always host a little celebration dinner party. This year, I'm making two kinds of lasagna (classic and seafood) and a chocolate truffle mousse cake. Got started on the lasagnas yesterday afternoon and baked the foundation for the cake...cooked the scallops and cleaned/cooked the shrimp, made the lasagna sauces, then realized I needed something quick and simple for dinner. Confession time: I sliced some roasted turkey I bought at Costco, heated up a can of Campbell's turkey gravy, made some glorious mashed potatoes with lots of butter and cream and cooked some frozen mixed veggies. DH cleaned it up like it was a feast. And it was pretty good, I'll have to say. Comfort food. The stew comes later in the week.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Turns out I didn't make the chicken stew...I'm in the midst of preparation for a big dinner today - we have several friends who share January birthdays with us, and I always host a little celebration dinner party. This year, I'm making two kinds of lasagna (classic and seafood) and a chocolate truffle mousse cake. Got started on the lasagnas yesterday afternoon and baked the foundation for the cake...cooked the scallops and cleaned/cooked the shrimp, made the lasagna sauces, then realized I needed something quick and simple for dinner. Confession time: I sliced some roasted turkey I bought at Costco, heated up a can of Campbell's turkey gravy, made some glorious mashed potatoes with lots of butter and cream and cooked some frozen mixed veggies. DH cleaned it up like it was a feast. And it was pretty good, I'll have to say. Comfort food. The stew comes later in the week.
I read someone's quote that said, "If I am what I eat, then I'm cheap and easy." I have been that way several times, and your last-minute dinner sounds really tasty!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
German chocolate cake is chocolate cake layers with a filling and frosting made of sweetened milk, coconut and pecans. Want some?

doesn't sound very german
but I like to give it a try... if Bucky left some
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #56
Head Chef

My mother used to make me a German's Chocolate Cake for my birthday every year (I believe it was originally called "German's" to reflect the type of chocolate used, as well as the inventor of the cake). It is a milky chocolate - not sure if it is still available, and the cake is very moist, with a buttery, coconutty, pecan-y frosting. Just yummy.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #57
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
Here was my dinner. Mark just had the spaghetti, but the spinach salad was his. Buckytom told me to use the peppers on the salad, but I love peppers with pasta. So, I gave Mark carrots on his salad instead and made a terrific dressing with just alittle EVOO, yellow mustard and honey. The cheese I used in my creamy pasta sauce was Havarti--that is all I had on hand. That is one of the yummmmiest cheeses! It really made for a delicious sauce! And, the Chorizo started off in cubes, but lost their shape during cooking.

That looks wonderful! I love all the colors in the salad!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #58
Head Chef

Couscous salad with chickpeas, dried cranberries, green peas, scallions, etc. with a balsamic/orange dressing.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #59
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly79 View Post
.... I made a killer pot of Chicken Tortilla soup and served it with corn tortilla strips ...
That sounds really good. Do you have a recipe or is it online somewhere?