What's for dinner? Sunday, 11-1-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Gosh....November already! This year has flown by. :ohmy:

I'll be having leftovers from yesterday - ribs, mashed 'taters, and veggies.

What's everyone having for dinner this evening? :chef:

We're planning burgers on the grill. If it rains a lot, it'll be burgers on the Griddler.

It's rather dank here (sans the mustiness) so it seems like a great day for comfort food.

We're going to have roast beef with gravy, mashed potatoes, steamed spinach and corn-off-the-cob. I'm looking forward to the corn because it's some of our favorite from this year's garden. It's called "double delicious" and it definitely lives up to its name.

No dessert because we noshed all week on "anniversary" cake, which was loaded with thousands of yummy calories.

We went to the next town over for pizza, pasta and potato soup.
We have the same restaurant here but they are hit or miss on fresh pizza and pasta.

My sister is coming over before she leaves for two weeks to take care of her grandbabies. Fixing a southwestern style mac and cheese, fresh tomato salad, and for those in the family expecting meat, some fake crab salad and crackers to be served later during the Broncos game.

Forgot the peach pie for dessert.

Last edited:
Today I made beef and noodles with home made egg noodles (I have a pasta machine so I cheated). :)

Cheating? Nah ;) The way I see it, good cooks have always used the best technology available to them. I have no doubt that Italian grandmothers a hundred years ago would have loved to have pasta machines and food processors :)

Cheating? Nah ;) The way I see it, good cooks have always used the best technology available to them. I have no doubt that Italian grandmothers a hundred years ago would have loved to have pasta machines and food processors :)

lol I can't argue with your reasoning. :)

I just re-heated a bowl of cabbage lentil kielbasa soup and toasted a half slice of bakery sour dough bread to serve with it.

i don't see anyone admit how much leftover Halloween candy was eaten today. I am proud to say all the snickers I tasted compared favorbly and because they are all bite size, I had SEVERAL.

Oh how I hate this time change!

I'll be grilling rib eye steaks by the light of the dang porch light. I'll bake a spud in the toaster oven for the SC, and nuke the broccoli for both of us.

Thinking it may be leftover Halloween candy...

I too despise the time change, by 5 pm it's dark.

Last edited:
I made German sausage and potato soup. It's simmering away and smells wonderful...
I can smell it all the way up here! :LOL: Seriously, though, I googled this and came up with various versions that were very different. Any chance of knowing how you made yours? Ingredients-only would be fine.

At least with the time change I'll now be getting up before noon. :ermm: :ROFLMAO:

I had a package of criminy mushrooms that were asking to be used while still good. I made a vat of mushroom barley soup that was so much better than the recipe I tried last year. Per suggestions offered here, I did cook the barley separately in broth so that it didn't suck up all the moisture from the soup vat. I also blended parts from three different recipes that looked most appealing to me. Finally, we tossed chunks of the leftover steak into our bowls before adding the soup They kinda got lost... ~ Hopefully I can duplicate this version the next time I make it!

Attachments

• 2015-11-01 18.07.30.jpg
    2015-11-01 18.07.30.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 154
I can smell it all the way up here! :LOL: Seriously, though, I googled this and came up with various versions that were very different. Any chance of knowing how you made yours? Ingredients-only would be fine.

I'm happy to share: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/german-potato-and-sausage-soup-88674.html

;)

I've changed the method a bit since then. I brown the sausage in a bit of oil, remove it to a bowl, then cook the veggies in a bit more oil. Deglaze with a cup of water, then add the rest of the water and other ingredients. Good stuff, especially with crusty bread.

Thanks for the link, GG. However, if this is GERMAN Sausage and Potato Soup, what's up with the POLISH kielbasa? :glare: :LOL: Aldi's is kinda nearby, and they always have bratwurst and knockwurst in the store, so I'll probably make it with one of those.

I'm so glad soup weather is returning! :w00t:

It's rather dank here (sans the mustiness) so it seems like a great day for comfort food.

We're going to have roast beef with gravy, mashed potatoes, steamed spinach and corn-off-the-cob. I'm looking forward to the corn because it's some of our favorite from this year's garden. It's called "double delicious" and it definitely lives up to its name.

No dessert because we noshed all week on "anniversary" cake, which was loaded with thousands of yummy calories.

Hi Katie - what is "double delicious" corn? I have about 20 quarts of corn in the freezer from this years garden. I typically just thaw and put in a non sticker frying pan and sauté until they get tender. Lots of pepper and some salt. Let me know your secret.

Hal

Thanks for the link, GG. However, if this is GERMAN Sausage and Potato Soup, what's up with the POLISH kielbasa? :glare: :LOL: Aldi's is kinda nearby, and they always have bratwurst and knockwurst in the store, so I'll probably make it with one of those.

I'm so glad soup weather is returning! :w00t:

I first had it in Germany but we really like kielbasa! :-p

Back
Top Bottom