"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I opted to order out for pizza. I was tired from an active day and in an imaginary conversation with DH, I decided to patronize the local pizza parlor almost within sight of our house. There were no complaints from DH. Tomorrow he has dental surgery (wisdom tooth removed) in Santa Fe so I am about to make some chocolate pudding for the trip. I expect eating will be soft the next few days. Will simmer some eggs too for salad while I'm at the stove.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I opted to order out for pizza. I was tired from an active day and in an imaginary conversation with DH, I decided to patronize the local pizza parlor almost within sight of our house. There were no complaints from DH. Tomorrow he has dental surgery (wisdom tooth removed) in Santa Fe so I am about to make some chocolate pudding for the trip. I expect eating will be soft the next few days. Will simmer some eggs too for salad while I'm at the stove.
Ykies Beth..did the tooth never come in after all this time? I had all of mine dug out when I was in my 20's and begged someone to kill me. Hope he does well.

That's a beautiful plate WP!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #13
Master Chef

beth, sending good thoughts to your hubby for an easy time. I had all four removed at once, but none were impacted. Two days later, a friend and his fiance took us out to dinner to pay Himself back for helping on a project. The friend figured I'd be a cheap date since I probably couldn't eat. Instead, I cleaned off a plate of scallops, rice and veggies - I fixed him! The only issue was all the rice getting caught in the openings, but I was prepared with a tupperware cup with salt so I could rinse.

Dinner was SO pretty, I just have to share a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-08 20.44.45.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	22726  
Old 04-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I've been simmering chicken stock all day with plans for chicken & dumplings later tonight. Yes, I "sometimes" make my own stock.

The meaty previously frozen chicken carcass is in with the usual suspects (onion,carrots,celery) but also with a half head of cabbage and a cup of white wine with the water. I never thought of wine before .40 mentioned it in his C&D the other day, and the cabbage is because it needed using. The flavor is developing beautifully, and naturally I'll strain out the solids later for the rest of dish. I'll sure remember the cabbage and wine for stock next time!! What flavor!
I LOVE my new GE gas stove with the big front burner where I can use my flat bottom wok with more surface area for Bisquick dumplings with dill and chives.

The finished Chicken and Dumplings...

Old 04-08-2015, 10:56 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Chicken & Dumplings

The dumplings were so light they just about floated to my plate! The chives were fresh cut from our little garden.
It was a fantastic meal!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 PM   #16
Master Chef

See why I cook?

Old 04-09-2015, 01:19 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Looks yummy Kayelle.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:34 AM   #18
Master Chef

Thanks Taxi!

Old 04-09-2015, 02:13 AM   #19
Master Chef

Those dumplings look like pillows, Kayelle! Bisquick, huh? It's on sale at my usual market this week. Think I'll pick up a box.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #20
Master Chef

Thanks CG. Yep, Bisquick dumplings, perfect every time with the directions on the box.
Don't add your veggies to the chicken with the broth till just before you add the dumplings. By the time everything cooks with the lid on for 10 min. and then the lid off for 10 min. the veggies will be perfectly cooked.

Tags
dinner