"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I thawed another hunk of the recent pork shoulder roast (extra tender). I was going to add it to some lima beans I was cooking in the broth from that roast, but managed to scorch the beans.

I guess I'll just slice up the pork and heat it up with some gravy and mashed potatoes.
Sounds good--too bad about the beans. I did that with barley a few weeks ago (my breakfast). Nasty cleaning the pan. It was a SS pan, so I used oven cleaner, tossed the pan in a garbage bag, and cleaned in the next morning.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I keep forgetting when using drippings like that, the tendency to stick is high. I just treated the beans the same way I do when cooking them in plain water. I know better. At least I didn't set off the fire alarm!!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I keep forgetting when using drippings like that, the tendency to stick is high. I just treated the beans the same way I do when cooking them in plain water. I know better. At least I didn't set off the fire alarm!!
I wandered out to collect eggs and let the hens distract me...I was outside a tad too long and the barley was burnt/scorched (no water left). After that, I started using the rice cooker to make my barley in the morning.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

If James remembers to stop at the store and get ground beef and tomatoes after he goes to the post office, we are having taco salads sans tortillas. If he forgets, I guess we are having refried beans, cheese, lettuce, onions, and salsa.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
as i've got crabs again i'll start from scratch...3lb orkney crab,tomatoes,avocado & bread.cold beer
Everything looks DEELISH, H! All of my favorites.

Another day of 107 degree heat. Rotisserie bone-in lemon/herb turkey breast (from the Deli), green beans & smashed potatoes.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Everything looks DEELISH, H! All of my favorites.

Another day of 107 degree heat. Rotisserie bone-in lemon/herb turkey breast (from the Deli), green beans & smashed potatoes.
no mayo,no lemon no nothing C,when something is that good it doesn't need it.107degs again....but the chicken does sound good
Old 08-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Three 6 ounce beefburgers (2 for me) fried in butter for 3 minutes each side on toasted Marty's buns, with a slice of tomato and a mayonnaise, horseradish, chopped onion and sweet pickle sauce. Cucumber salad and tomato salad. Sam Adams Oktoberfest beer.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
Head Chef

Ham/Lettuce/Cheese/Tomato/Miracle Whip on Seeded Rye Bread.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
Master Chef

112 here today I was up at daylight as usual, and started the fixins for an orzo salad, so I could have something nice and cool this afternoon. Knew it was gonna be a hot one again today.

Cooked orzo, chopped cucumber, artichoke hearts, red onion, olives, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, and parsley. Dressing was olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, and cracked pepper. And some toasted pine nuts sprinkled on top. Just had a bowl of that nice cool loveliness with some RyeKrisp crackers on the side, it was great. And some leftovers for later.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #20
Executive Chef

We were out all day running around. Stopped at Famous Dave's on the way home and had half rack of ribs ( I did) and DxW had smoked chicken. Hot/ spicy ( not so much) green beans, corn muffins and cole slaw. Their sweet and spicy pickle chips are pretty good, and that's about the best I can say. Well, actually the ribs were pretty good too. Wish we had better BBQ restaurant choices. Sigh. Still, it beats cooking as the afternoon rolls along. Good way to start the weekend.