"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 05-19-2006, 09:22 AM   #51
Master Chef
we bring baked dishes often. casseroles......

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #52
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Here in Kansas City I either send/take steak or BBQ rub/sauce or both. They always seem to be big hits whenever I send them out.

Mark Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #53
Head Chef
I am in the Missouri Ozarks, and if I wanted to send a local gift basket to someone, I would probably pick up a country cured ham (Burgers Smokehouse makes good ones, and sells them on line), and some good Missouri rice. Peaches and apples in season are good, too.

I have to travel about 3 hours to the bootheel of Missouri to get it, but Martin Rice mill sells the most delicious jasmine and basmati rice. They have a website http://martinrice.com.

Looked at the site just now, and they also have sushi rice. And the shipping is not too bad--I might just order a couple of 25 pound sacks of jasmine and basmati and share with friends and family.

Edited to add: I can't believe I forgot gooey butter cake--more of a candy than cake, it has cream cheese and butter and lots of confectioners sugar. Google a recipe--easy to make.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:37 PM   #54
Assistant Cook
Moreton Bay bugs and prawns (that's them in the picture, ready to go), blue swimmer crabs, oysters, wine, cheese, wine, pickles and sauces, wine, some smoked trout pate, oh, did I mention wine?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bugs.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1470  
patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:48 AM   #55
Master Chef
As many of you know, I've lived a lot of places (my personal theme song, although I'm not a C&W fan, is "I've Been Everwhere, Man" by Johnny cash. In Utah, you need to get out, right now. The produce is some of the best in the country, and in a few weeks you need to look for cherries. Yummm. There used to be a lot of "pick your own" orchards (I think these have all gone away because of insurance policies), but the local farmers used to threaten to weigh my baby sister (a year or so old) on her way in and out. A big family "do" was towards the end of the summer when a local farmer would call us to "clear the field" -- all the veggies we wanted if we would just show up. We got lots of corn and tomatoes, and that was supper that night. A stick of margarine, sliced tomatoes, and a big shaker full of a S&P mix. I'm surprised about the coffee syrup since caffein is a nono in Mormon land (or at least used to be). Utah is the beehive state, so I'd think that honey products might be popular.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:53 AM   #56
Master Chef
Oh, Iron Chef, not just Macs these days. I'm not sure if there are even pineapples on Oahu any more, or sugar cane. The days when the smell of pineapple from the canning factory (it actually smelled like pineapple upside down cake) perfuming Honolulu are gone. Oh ... let's not forget coffee! I get a care package every year from Hawaii. Unfortunately I don't drink much coffee these days.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:39 PM   #57
Senior Cook
Kansas City

is your glass half full or empty? my is half full
rickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:01 PM   #58
Sous Chef
Most of our friends are neither German nor American, so we try to find something imported that has a significance in their country (Belgian Ale, French wine, Turkish Raki (Greek Ouzo), Danish cheeses... etc. Otherwise, it's usually flowers, not food. That's an interesting question. I enjoyed reading others' replies.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:37 AM   #59
Assistant Cook
i was born in the south Italy, Puglia, contry of oil extra virgin of olive, fresh cheese like ricotta and mozzarella, good vegetables like zucchini, capsicum, eggplants.....the south kitchen is called "mediterranean kitchen"!
In the city where i was born,Lecce, the traditional cake is called "torta pasticciotto" : pie with double crust and with filling of "cream pasticcera" very ver good!
britneyoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:47 AM   #60
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Well I'm from Indiana, and we've got corn. I've got to say sometimes it feels as if that's all we've got...

Around my hometown specifically, there's a town called East Chicago with an enormous Hispanic population, and you can find great mexican food there.

Around Bloomington, we have a winery, Oliver Winery, and I think they're pretty good.

college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote