Live Octopus in Korea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a friend who's going to Korea in a couple of weeks and has one food desire that she needs to satisfy. She wants to eat some live octopus!

Where will your friend be in Korea?

In Seoul go to Noryangin Fish Market.

In Busan go to Haeundae Beach.

Most Sashimi places with tanks will have it.

What she is looking for is Sannakji.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sannakji

Last edited:
Where will your friend be in Korea?

In Seoul go to Noryangin Fish Market.

In Busan go to Haeundae Beach.

Most Sashimi places with tanks will have it.

What she is looking for is Sannakji.

Sannakji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah, she's staying in Seoul! Thanks for the help. What other food places would you recommend for someone who's looking for something off the beaten path? In both Korea and in general.

JumboSlice said:
I have a friend who's going to Korea in a couple of weeks and has one food desire that she needs to satisfy. She wants to eat some live octopus! After watching this video of DJ Tittsworth eating it while on the road, she wants to try for herself: When DJ's Attack: Tittsworth Eats Live Octopus - YouTube
Does anyone know where she can get this?

Oh, the horror! I always feel so bad when I eat pulpo. Octopus are so smart, it's like noshing on a cousin!

Yeah, she's staying in Seoul! Thanks for the help. What other food places would you recommend for someone who's looking for something off the beaten path? In both Korea and in general.

One of these, Kiln Cookin’ | ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal I am sure that if you drop Joe a note he would tell you how to find one.

Peru has great food.

I would love visit Chengdu China.

i've had twitchy octopus in the form of sashimi, but it was just one of those things where it was still moving shortly after being killed. great stuff. you can't beat tako that fresh.

i've heard you need to put some oil on the live ones to keep the leg suckers from sticking in your mouth.

btw, i'm not sure if i'd want to be a cousin of dawgluver around the holidays...

Oh, the horror! I always feel so bad when I eat pulpo. Octopus are so smart, it's like noshing on a cousin!

btw, i'm not sure if i'd want to be a cousin of dawgluver around the holidays...

And you know this...how? How many cousins did you have?:ohmy::ermm:

Umm....uhhh.... What cousins?

OMG, run for the hills! She's eaten all of her cousins! She might go for us next! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:ohmy::shock::eek:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Have seen two octopi in the wild while snorkeling, and fondly remember Paul, the world famous World Cup predictor. Could not imagine eating one of Paul's still squirming cousins.

some korean marinated baby octopus, anyone?

img4265m.jpg

these are about the size of a quarter each, overall.

i always thought i'd be game to try anybody's idea of good food. i was wrong. for survival of the species and for purposes of natural selection, i think it's just not a good idea to have tasty relatives....

There's something a bit too brutal and violent in that first video for it to qualify as dining. You shouldn't have to fight your meal and win so you can swallow it. I can't imagine he can actually taste the octopus. He's not really chewing, he's just swallowing.

There's something a bit too brutal and violent in that first video for it to qualify as dining. You shouldn't have to fight your meal and win so you can swallow it. I can't imagine he can actually taste the octopus. He's not really chewing, he's just swallowing.

I agree completely, Andy.

Looks more like a fight than a meal.

I can only imagine his adrenaline levels, respiration and heart rate are all elevated during this type of meal.

Kind of a "Fight or Flight" thing. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom