"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 09-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
Cook

You could try this website for ideas on where to eat.

newyork.citysearch.com/

The nice thing about it is you can read reviews written by people and see what they did and didn't like about a place. You can just type in restaurant and the zip code of the area you're staying in, and it will list a bunch of restaurants in your area.
I use to work at Rosie O'Grady's which is at 52nd and 7th ave. If you're looking for convenience, that might be a good choice. I think the food is pretty good. They will offer a "Thanksgiving" meal with turkey and all but you can order other things from the menu.
If you want really good food, you may have to travel to different parts of the city. My experience in the midtown area with finding really amazing food is that it's hard. Midtown tends to sell expensive food to the touristy crowd that isn't that great. But that may just be me.
But like I said, Rosie O'grady's might be nice for you because it will be right there and the food is good.
Above all, whatever you decide, make sure you make a reservation.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:42 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjcooking
It looks like the streets surrounding 77th Street and Central Park West where the parade kicks off is where you can watch them inflate the balloons. It's around the Museum of Natural History. It's suppose to start around 4:00pm and end around 8:00. I've heard that it can be a lot of fun if the weather is nice.
My first apt was on/close to that street. At about 3 AM? we stepped outside and there was a huge snoopie, Superman (and lots of other balloons) being inflated right outside my door I kept rubbing my eyes - thought I was dreaming. If you're awake in the middle of the night, the night before, bundle up and watch them blow all the balloons up. What a hoot! We chatted and drank coffee with the workers. Very memorable evening. (Next apt, we hung out the window and watched the parade. So, if it's too crowded, go up on one of the rooftops. Beautiful view.)

Re eating, don't know the cost, but how about Tavern on the Green? If they're still there. Have a wonderful trip, Mud, and row around the Park once for me.

P.S. Years ago, Howard Johnson's was somewhere around there. For the day after, they had a great open-faced turkey sammich w mashed taters & gravy -- ice cream for dessert (if you're still hankering for more turkey). YUM.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:43 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Have a wonderful
wonderful trip!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I dont have any advice on where to eat other than to say make a reservation if you can (not sure what is near you), other than that, there is always hot pretzels and hot dogs at the vendors! Wish I were going with you, it sounds like a blast. I love watching that parade on TV. I sure hope your taking the train and not your car because parking with be a nightmare!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

i will be here with bells on, 'bug.
i'm going back to the midnight shift that week , but i'm sure we can hook up for a drink or seven.

if i can make it for dinner, i'd love to go to carmine's on west 44th. http://www.carminesnyc.com/

i can also recommend a few thai places, northern italian, and of course irish pub/restaurants.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Mudbug, are you looking for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, or are you interested in exploring one of New York's yummy ethnic places?

I'm always on the lookout for places that are delicious and that don't break the bank. Out-of-towners are often frightened when they see the prices on NY menus.... Eating out at most places is kinda pricey here....

Feel free to pm me, if you want.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #17
Master Chef

I have had several T-giving dinners in NYC's Chinatown. Great food for cheap.

I also had a great Tgiving at Bolo but it was $$.

Le Bonne Soupe is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere -- it's on 55th between 6th and 5th. Don't know if it'll be open for Tgiving, though.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

chefjune, and opinionita, abj, and vb, jenny, gb, andy, vickiq, sandyj, and anyone else that could possibly make it to nyc that week,

i'm sure 'bug would love to have us all get together for a few one night, as i would. maybe we can all work something out.

i'll be wearing a helmet (no bopping!)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I would vote for that, Bucky..... and I even have a suggestion for a GREAT place..... anyone else ever been to Assenzio in the East Village? fab Sardinian/Italian food, beautiful cozy fireplace, very reasonable prices, and good with handling groups!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #20
Head Chef

buckytom, I have no idea what our plans are going to be, but if you guys decide to get together send a pm so I'll have the details. I'd love to get together if I'm able.

ChefJune, never been there, but that sound like a good place.

Tags
new york, new york city, nyc