"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Road Food

Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

TX - Adkins, Austin and the Hill Country ... Texas BBQ

Has anyone eaten at the Texas Pride BBQ in Adkins ,Tx? Was it any better or worse than any other BBQ place in Texas.
Do you have a favorite in the Texas hill country or around Austin?
I would live to hear from anyone on Texas BBQ.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
Master Chef

LOL - let's try it this way ... if you ate at a different BBQ joint, or Mom-n-Pop grocery that sells BBQ, in TX every day - it would take you about 10 years to try them all ... and by then some would have closed because the owners had died, some would have new pit masters, and some new ones would have opened.
The "Hill Country" is in the area between Austin and San Antonio - if you just hit the BBQ joints in the hill country - that could take over a year to sample every one.

I have never had bad BBQ in the hill country - I don't think they know how to make bad BBQ. When you get to the big cities like Austin or San Antonio - stay away from the chain franchise places - or anything that looks too "fancy". The best Q is found in the "hole-n-the-wall" joints.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I'd be glad to help, but need way more info on what sort of BBQ experience you're looking for... type of meat, ambience, etc.

I just looked up your town, and it's like asking... what's a good BBQ joint in the Lower mountains of Ca. vs. "the San Francisco bay area"...

My guess is that even Michael in Fw. and I might violently disagree on this, and I'm originally from Dallas! It's that regional, like between BBQ in West North Carolina vs. East!

Ha Ha, Eric, Austin Tx.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

of course, brisket and beef ribs would be our primary meat and places with character, ambience is not a factor unless you consider funky as ambience. my husband has been hooked on barbeque since we took a trip to North Carolina but has found Texas beef bbq more to his liking. So we are always on the lookout for something off the beaten path with great food.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
Master Chef

Heck no, Eric - no way could I disagree that there are regional differences in TX BBQ!

The best Q in Dallas has got to be Sonny Bryon's on Inwood (the other places they have opened are somehow lacking that real original flavor) - the best in FtW by default (since Little John died and his place went out of business) is probably Angelo's. And between the two - Sonny's gets my nod.

LOL - do you want your Q rubbed, mopped or sauced? Do you want it smoked with hickory, oak, mesquite or pecan - of a blend of woods?

Yep - you can find it all in TX!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Dang Michael,

I didn't expect you to pull "Sonny Bryon's" name out the hat so quickly! Perhaps we would agree on " a good BBQ experience" quite a bit!

Let's see if I can help our visitor from the beautifull state of California some...

CookBookie, it appears from your first post that you will be near San Antonio Tx....

I'm not really from that area, so I would check out a website called Chow Hounds, then boards, then Texas, ( or Austin)...

It is a really good site for more like " individual restaraunt reviews" and is very active, and has a good "search engine" ..

I'll try to post one here if I can..

Best BBQ in Texas - Texas - Chowhound

And also, San Antonio is a wonderful place, please check out the "Mexican Food", it's the best in the state and also the "Weird Tx." history there, even The Alamo, and such kitchey tourist places like " the River Walk" are actually quite nice..

but I digress.. Beef BBQ rules in Tx. so most any place you go will have good Brisket.. heck even Locally franchised chains like Bill Miller's or Rudy's are pretty darn good...

Beef Ribs are Tricky...in Austin I would recommend Artz's Rib House or The Iron Works, both have been here a Long time...

If you can go to Luling or Lockhart, about 1 hr. drive... these places are Great.... though note, there are 2 types of BBQ joints in Tx. 1 type (Luling) sells Meat with no sides, just meat on paper with a little sauce and onions on the table....

The other type has the regular BBQ plate with sides of Potatos, Cole Slaw, etc.

If you can go to Llano, about an Hr drive, get to Cooper's, Fantastic!, though really their specialty is pork! Ribs are good, but the Main Game there is the Smoked Pork Cop, about 1 Lb. of wonder! Plus to see the Tx Hillcountry, you need to drive North and West out of San Antonio, it's beautifull, if rather dry this time of summer..

Eric, Austin Tx.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Red face Luling - Meh

Would stick strictly w/ brisket at Luling. Still mad about my "beef-jerky-esque" pork ribs from there about 10 years back. May just be that ribs ain't their thing.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookbookie View Post
Has anyone eaten at the Texas Pride BBQ in Adkins ,Tx? Was it any better or worse than any other BBQ place in Texas.
Do you have a favorite in the Texas hill country or around Austin?
I would live to hear from anyone on Texas BBQ.

Hi cookbookie,

I have found Texas Pride BBQ as a cool place just to see the Americana decor. Nothing special about the food.

I have lived in Texas for a few years & my favorite there is Norma's Place Mexican Food restaurant on 11420 US Highway 87 S.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I have to say that I love Rudy's. It's become a very small chain here in San Antonio and Austin, too, I think. You won't leave there without buying a bottle of their sauce.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

thanks for the input. texas bbq is going to be an ongoing journey I think

Tags
texas